New mufflers!

JMT03LSV8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
OK, so after reading all the posts on here about exhaust systems and mufflers, I got this burr under my saddle to look into doing something. I wasn't convinced on the straight pipe in place of the mufflers or glass packs. I got on ebay and found "Magflow" mufflers for $30 each and the seller was only 15 minutes from my house. So I run over to look at them and they are pretty decent looking and then the guy tells me that they carry the Jones Full Boar mufflers, same dimensions as the Magnaflow 11225, in stainless steel for $30 each. So, with the burr still under my saddle, I have a pair mounted for $150 out the door. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the sound. I took some pics with my cell phone and I will see if I can get a sound clip to post soon.
Some things I learned while under the car. The Magnaflow mufflers listed in some of the posts are 11225 and 12225. Both of these are 2.25 in/out with center/offset. But my car has 2 inch exhaust on it so they had to weld stainless bushings in the inlet side to make them work. They managed to get the factory tips re-installed and for the money I spent I'm pretty happy.

OK, I attached a couple pics of the exhaust cut off. Have to download the video next

0810011534.jpg

0810011534a.jpg

The guy said it will probably get a little louder after driving it for awhile. It sounds awesome inside the car with the sunroof open and the windows down.

OK, so last Sunday, as my girlfriend is leaving for work, she says "So, are you thinking about maybe mowing the yard today?" It's her yard BUT, she's a beautician and a nurse so I get free haircuts and home health care! LOL. Back to my story. It was raining by the time I got outside so I stared at the LS for a few minutes and remembered some of the modifications I did to my SC a few years back. I backed the car in the garage and yanked out the air cleaner assembly. I took off the macaroni inlet baffle and bolted everything back in. HOLY F.M.R., I can't believe the difference that the exhaust and removing that baffle make. I can only dream of the difference a CAI will make next. Next question, do those air chambers hanging from the intake tube, the one that looks like a fan shroud and the other that hangs down like a gallbladder, effect air flow and would it be improved if those were removed?

Wow that sounds great, more please :)

The ls sounds awesome with anything besides the factory gas cans. They're huge mufflers.

Would love to see some mangaflows on your ride.

The ls sounds awesome with anything besides the factory gas cans. They're huge mufflers.

Would love to see some mangaflows on your ride.

Me too! I'm thinking as money comes available, I need to do the whole exhaust system. The muffler shop I went to let me out under the car while they worked on it and, MAN, does the stock exhaust just look undersized and some of the bends HAVE to be restrictive. And the guy putting the Full Boar mufflers on even commented about the gigantic factory mufflers. I bet the new ones saved 20 lbs off the ass end of the car. I've been on LVC since right after I bought this car in September of last year and I have to say that every little thing you do to these cars makes them more impressive. You guys that have a lot of mods, I envy you! LOL

allegedly

The reason I asked about those chambers is when you look at the K&N intakes, they eliminate those chambers. But if you look at the KKM intake, they are still there. The KKM seems to net at least the same if not more "Advertised HP gain" as the K&N.

Sounds good. Like to see more pictures. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!:D

I'll get some more pics from underneath soon. I'm tempted, since you can just barely see the bottom of the mufflers, to mask off the tips and paint the mufflers satin or flat black. At least til I get a nice exhaust under the car.

Stupid question for you guys: Do both Gen's of LS's have similar exhaust as far as size of tubing? I know from other threads that there are differences.

I picked up Full Boar mufflers a while ago to match my x-pipe and high flow cats, but I bought 2.5in with the intent of doing new pipes the whole way through. Unfortunately I've been sitting on them for near 3 months now because I can't get anyone to do the pipes!! I've gotta get back on hunting with how nice those sound!!

I just did the same thing but with magnaflows. Stock tips like you did. Sounds good. I just wish it was a little louder. Im afraid if i take out the resonators ill get some drone. And i don't want that. Im not going for a loud exhaust. I have a k&n intake thats going on tomorrow so ill see if that makes any difference. I would rather have a louder exhaust note than intake note though. Im not planning on doing a full exhaust either. The bang for the buck just isn't there.

I just did the same thing but with magnaflows. Stock tips like you did. Sounds good. I just wish it was a little louder. Im afraid if i take out the resonators ill get some drone. And i don't want that. Im not going for a loud exhaust. I have a k&n intake thats going on tomorrow so ill see if that makes any difference. I would rather have a louder exhaust note than intake note though. Im not planning on doing a full exhaust either. The bang for the buck just isn't there.

Yeah, after hearing some of the clips on youtube, I didn't want the drone or the buzzy sound. Let me know what you think after you get the K&N in. By just taking out my front baffle, I notice the intake sound at throttle but when cruising, I don't notice it much at all. And it seems like the exhaust under throttle is louder since removing that baffle. Frigin thing sounds SWEET under full throttle when it shifts right about redline. Sounds better than my Super Coupe or SHO ever did!

OK, so after reading all the posts on here about exhaust systems and mufflers, I got this burr under my saddle to look into doing something. I wasn't convinced on the straight pipe in place of the mufflers or glass packs. I got on ebay and found "Magflow" mufflers for $30 each and the seller was only 15 minutes from my house. So I run over to look at them and they are pretty decent looking and then the guy tells me that they carry the Jones Full Boar mufflers, same dimensions as the Magnaflow 11225, in stainless steel for $30 each. So, with the burr still under my saddle, I have a pair mounted for $150 out the door. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the sound. I took some pics with my cell phone and I will see if I can get a sound clip to post soon.
Some things I learned while under the car. The Magnaflow mufflers listed in some of the posts are 11225 and 12225. Both of these are 2.25 in/out with center/offset. But my car has 2 inch exhaust on it so they had to weld stainless bushings in the inlet side to make them work. They managed to get the factory tips re-installed and for the money I spent I'm pretty happy.

I'm rather new to the LS world (car world as well), and am interested in putting Magnaflow 11225s on my 2000 LS v6.. Is $150 a price that would be reasonable for a shop to put them on for? I don't know whether to feel under or over charged here.. I am planning on cutting out the valence and putting new tips on myself, so all I would really want the shop to do is take out my stock system and install the magnaflows that I am planning on getting from ebay. So I guess my question is really just that, is $150 for installation of new exhaust reasonable? And do I need anything besides the actual mufflers in order to replace them?

I did fire it up before i put the magnaflows on and it was raspy and cackled too much for my liking. It wasn't overly loud though. After magnaflows it was a nice crisp rumble (more of a purr actually) After 3000 rpms wind and motor noise take over and can't hardly hear the exhaust anymore. Which sucks cause it can be as loud as it wants after 3000 rpms and it wouldn't bother me since i don't hardly hit 3000 that much during normal driving. Taking the resonators out isn't a huge deal for me since i can do it myself but i hate to take them out then want them back in cause it drones and hack my exhaust all up. ill let you know what the k&n does.

Got my k&n intake installed. All in all really happy with it. Really easy to install. looks great. I got the typhoon one which has the polished aluminum tube which is supposed to be a little louder than the plastic tube one. Makes a nice difference in sound. Really good sound in upper rpms. Seems to make a noticable difference in power and throttle response. And seems to have made a 1-2 mpg gain.

I'm rather new to the LS world (car world as well), and am interested in putting Magnaflow 11225s on my 2000 LS v6.. Is $150 a price that would be reasonable for a shop to put them on for? I don't know whether to feel under or over charged here.. I am planning on cutting out the valence and putting new tips on myself, so all I would really want the shop to do is take out my stock system and install the magnaflows that I am planning on getting from ebay. So I guess my question is really just that, is $150 for installation of new exhaust reasonable? And do I need anything besides the actual mufflers in order to replace them?

That's too much to just install 2 mufflers and tips. The cheapest I had been quoted was about 15 bucks a weld to maybe 25. Two mufflers, 4 weld spots, about 80 bucks. If you remove that resonators, install an x-pipe, 2 mufflers and 2 tips, then that would about 12 welds, that when it wold be in the 150+ range. Maybe they have to bend a pipe or 2 but 150 is too much for just 2 mufflers. If they are the only exhaust shop for miles then maybe that's why they are expensive.

Easy solution, go to 2 or 3 other shops and get a quote.

I'd have to agree with Alax7. I paid $100 this spring to have Bassani Mufflers and quad tips installed (that included cutting off the old mufflers, swedging, welding and new hangers). No other parts needed. I was told that was a reasonable price for mufflers and tips from other shops. I did my own cut-outs. You are asking for mufflers only (and doing tips and cut-outs yourself). I would shop around for a better price (especially since you are in a large metro area).

I checked with 4 different shops and got around 120$ish for an estimate from all of them simply to cut out the stock mufflers and weld in new ones. I guess that's the price I pay for living in North Dakota.

Members online

Back