New mark 8 owner in UK

andyfanshawe

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I bought this mark 8 a few months ago in the UK and have been slowly restoring it.
80K miles and a few minor niggles but nothing serious. Its had a replacement warranty engine at some point in its life.

athome1.jpg

athome2.jpg

ebayad9.jpg

I've managed to source a Ford factory scan tool - the NGK Star tester 2 with the correct modules to read every module on the car and even code keys in!!

Its proven a fantastic ride so far with no exra problems. Very comfortable indeed. Love it.

Anyway, back to one of the cars problems. The parking brake won't release automatically. I have to release it by the emergency lever at the side of the seat.

So, plug in the NGK star 2 tester and have a look.

startester2.jpg

What a surprise. Picking up C1446 - parking brake circuit fault-but I knew that already.

The SCIL module needs to know when the parking brake is on - which it confirmed it did, via the PRK BK signal at the module on the start tester.

It also needs to know when the foot brake is on and off, using the Brake On Off (BOO) switch at the top of the pedal. So into the PIDs on the tester and this is what it showed no matter what the pedal was doing

startesterboo.jpg

So I need to head off over to the SCIL module itself at the other side of the dash.
Here it is
scilmoduleunderdash.jpg

And unbolted and swung down
scilcutwire.jpg

What is that I see-the light green from the BOO switch has been cut! Wheres the other side?

here
sclcutwire2.jpg

So the question is - why was it cut? Just as i was about to find out my battery died!! serves me right for having the stereo on for hours while i worked on the car! So that is charging as we speak.

In the meantime, logically thinking, it must have been cut for a reason. Probably causing fault codes.
Now when american cars come into the UK, they have whats called an SVA (single vehicle approval) test, where things are changed. Like the lights. They must flash yellow at the back, so they are rewired with yellow bulbs in the back up light sockets for the turn signals. On my mark, a wire has been spliced into the output side of the BOO switch on the pedal and straight to the stop light bulbs. This provides a direct hot feed to the stop lamps. The original wire to the stop light has been cut and spliced into the yellow bulb for the turns.............and ha! that now explains why it was cut!

If the wire is reconnected the SCIL will know the brake pedal is being pressed and will try to light the stop light bulbs. But they are wired to the turn lamps, so...problems.

I want to get the parking brake operation back, so I need to fool the SCIL into thinking it is working normally at the rear (american style, but still stop lights red and turns yellow. Hmmm.........

Andy.

I helped a friend of mine in the UK do this to his mustang.
Put everything back to stock leaving the yellow bulbs in place.
Cut the break/turn wires going to the left and right break light and run a wire to the bulb side from the center break light so the light up when the breaks are on.
Run a wire from the front left and right turn signal light to the rear and hook them up accordingly to your yellow bulbs.
If you get a bulb warning light for the rear you can wire in two extra bulbs in the trunk with an extra socket to eliminate that any spare bits socket will do, just make sure they can't touch anything or mount them in a panel.
Should solve your problems.

Good digging for the cut wire. Its hard and pricey to find those Star testers. Is the tester yours? Good luck with your new wheels.

I like the grille and headlight trim treatment. Makes the headlights look like eyes in the old Egyptian hieroglyphs. Name her Cleopatra. :D

From what i have read the Mark VIII was never exported,do you get a lot of questions about the car?

your car must be converted to coil springs, i replied on lod to your thread also. someone went in there to cut the " check air ride " message wire but they cut the wrong green wire on the wrong module, in the pic there is a black module near the scil closer to the fire wall, it has the white sticker with orange stripe on it, there is a green wire with light green stripe on that module that is supposed to be cut, whoever did it cut the wrong wire. just solder the wire that is cut back together you should be fine.

From what i have read the Mark VIII was never exported,do you get a lot of questions about the car?

USA cars in Europe are generally pretty much considered exotic, and they are acquired. We started a Kultur Kneipe (culture bar) in Ansbach, Germany years ago. Had a grand piano, artwork was provided by local artists. I made the (rather large, reinforced chief areas with brass core lead came) Art Nouveau stained glass window above the chandelier (non electric, had candles). Was a huge party at opening night, and one of the cars in the parking lot was an early 60's Cadillac limo, beautifully restored, gloss black, with Stuttgart plates on it.

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a Cadillac dealership there in the 60's, and I'm equally sure that there still isn't.

I helped a friend of mine in the UK do this to his mustang.
Put everything back to stock leaving the yellow bulbs in place.
Cut the break/turn wires going to the left and right break light and run a wire to the bulb side from the center break light so the light up when the breaks are on.
Run a wire from the front left and right turn signal light to the rear and hook them up accordingly to your yellow bulbs.
If you get a bulb warning light for the rear you can wire in two extra bulbs in the trunk with an extra socket to eliminate that any spare bits socket will do, just make sure they can't touch anything or mount them in a panel.
Should solve your problems.

Hi.
Genius! What a brilliant idea! So simple as well. I'm on it today.
I just hope the SCIL is still working in its original form.
I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again.
Andy.

Good digging for the cut wire. Its hard and pricey to find those Star testers. Is the tester yours? Good luck with your new wheels.

Hi.
It is indeed mine.
Spent ages researching these and found one in your country. Shipped over with loads of modules for $300.
And, I'll tell you what. It is brilliant! I can't imagine working on this car without it. I have been into every module and performed actuator tests of everything-from the drivers seat! Must admit it was weird when the drivers seat starts moving around on its own with me sat in it!

One of the automatic tests involves the star tester sounding the horn, then switching on and off the interior lights, then moving the drivers seat in all directions, then the pass seat, then the mirrors on both sides, one at a time. Amazing.

To be able to sit there and move the fuel gauge up and down by pressing some buttons is weird! I actually moved it to FULL, which is probably going to be the only time it gets there with gas prices what they are in the UK!!

Andy.

Ha! I do indeed.
I only know of 4 in the country (but there may be more). I have a jag x type as well that I have picked up cheap, and the mark 8 makes it look small!

I teach at a local 11 to 18 year old school and the kids there think its awesome. They have good taste.

Dont you just love it when people stop you and ask about your car!

Andy.

USA cars in Europe are generally pretty much considered exotic, and they are acquired. We started a Kultur Kneipe (culture bar) in Ansbach, Germany years ago. Had a grand piano, artwork was provided by local artists. I made the (rather large, reinforced chief areas with brass core lead came) Art Nouveau stained glass window above the chandelier (non electric, had candles). Was a huge party at opening night, and one of the cars in the parking lot was an early 60's Cadillac limo, beautifully restored, gloss black, with Stuttgart plates on it.

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a Cadillac dealership there in the 60's, and I'm equally sure that there still isn't.

Hi Kaha.
Interesting story.
Do you still have the culture bar?
Andy.

How dose it feel to drive on the correct side of the car

LOL... when I worked in the UK I found a nice cooper that I shipped back to the US, it was a right hand drive.
Interesting going through a ATM and drive thru's. Never had an issue driving on the road, right hand turns were a little tighter :)
A little nerve racking on the interstate at 80 with a semi or excursion next to you, poor little thing turned about 4300rpm at 80.. it was double the factory hp so 75 to 100 was quick and she climbed the rpm range like a two stroke bike.
Like driving a go-cart with 113 hp at the wheels!

Hi Kaha.
Interesting story.
Do you still have the culture bar?
Andy.

Heya Andy!
I don't own it, I'm just one of the people who contributed to its creation. As far as I know Andreas still has it, been out of touch for years. It's the Cafe Prinzregent in Ansbach, on the Wurzburgerlandstrasse.

Karl

How dose it feel to drive on the correct side of the car

Hi.
Love the question!
I have driven LHD cars in the UK since 1987 (as well as RHD's as well) and I love it. A novelty I suppose that has never worn off. As 97markja says above, drive thru's can be a problem, but i make sure I have a passenger so they have to order and consequently pay!!

When I drive in Spain or the Canaries in a hire car I love it even more. sat on the LH side of the car and driving on the right. How it should be. Feels more comfortable that way.

Have you driven in a country with RHD and on the left?

Andy.

LOL... when I worked in the UK I found a nice cooper that I shipped back to the US, it was a right hand drive.
Interesting going through a ATM and drive thru's. Never had an issue driving on the road, right hand turns were a little tighter :)
A little nerve racking on the interstate at 80 with a semi or excursion next to you, poor little thing turned about 4300rpm at 80.. it was double the factory hp so 75 to 100 was quick and she climbed the rpm range like a two stroke bike.
Like driving a go-cart with 113 hp at the wheels!

Hi.
I can't imagine a mini on the freeways of the US and Canada! I cant even fit in one-get my legs stuck under the steering wheel and cant get to the brake pedal!

I returned the car to US specs this morning and everything worked as it should - even the auto parking brake release!
I then wired the brake lights as you said and got the error message (sort that out later the way you said -although I will mimick the bulbs with appropriate resistors).
Connected the rear LH indicator up from the front and it wont even flash -well it gives a quick flash and then nothing for 30 seconds and then repeats. So the loading isn't right. Back to the drawing board on that one.

Each corner turn signal has a separate output from the SCIL, and an extra 21W load on a particular one worries me. 21W is about 2 amps extra. The output stage of the SCIL will be loadad up beyond or close to its tolerance I would have thought.
Did the mustang you did have a similar setup?

At least I know the SCIL is fully functional. I'll get my thinking cap on:confused:

let me know what you think.
Andy.

If you put bulbs in the trunk or mimick them with resistors the flashed should see the corect load and the bulb error will go away.
If you are worried about the load on the third break light of front turn signals you could wire in two relays to trigger off the front turn signal wires. You would still need to load the car side of the wiring to get the flash speed and to get rid of the bulb error message.
For flashed speed you could go to an electronic flashed but what's the point if you need to put resistors or bulbs in to get rid of the message. My thoughts anyway.

Members online

No members online now.
Back