New LS owner here, with long cranking issues.

Pretty sure I could turn a wrench here or there. I just have never done it because I've never had the need to. I always had the money to get other's to fix my stuff, but not now.
The LS can be a very great car, but it also requires a lot of attention (= money) to keep it running right. A much better choice if you are looking for good, cheap, and reliable would be a Lincoln Town Car. Several years of those are nearly bullet proof. (There are a few years to stay away from, spitting spark plugs and such.)

I can't imagine anyone that isn't reasonably skilled at doing there own diagnostics and repairs being able to economically justify having an LS, and this is coming from someone who is a really big fan of them. I still miss mine in some ways, but parts were getting too hard to find and I am getting too old to do that much car work.

A much better choice if you are looking for good, cheap, and reliable would be a Lincoln Town Car.
I know beggars can't be picky, but I did not like the way those cars drive, at all. Steering is way too light for my taste. So I signed up for this, and already experienced the fact that everyone will try to charge you more for the badge, as a repair shop around the block from my place wanted $75 for an oil and filter change.

much better choice if you are looking for good, cheap, and reliable would be a Lincoln Town Car. Several years of those are nearly bullet proof. (There are a few years to stay away from, spitting spark plugs and such.)

Yup... and IIRC... the spark plug issue was from 2002 to 2005 on the 4.6 engine... and up to 2007 on the 5.4.

Yup... and IIRC... the spark plug issue was from 2002 to 2005 on the 4.6 engine... and up to 2007 on the 5.4.
And my son inherited a 2005 Grand Marquis (4.6) and a 2003 F150 (5.4). The F150 has already spit out one plug, but the repair was a lot cheaper than I would have expected.

I know beggars can't be picky, but I did not like the way those cars drive, at all. Steering is way too light for my taste. So I signed up for this, and already experienced the fact that everyone will try to charge you more for the badge, as a repair shop around the block from my place wanted $75 for an oil and filter change.
Yeah, I get it. Driving the LS is about a 20 times better experience than the Town Car, but it costs about that much more too. My LSes were reasonably reliable up to 200K+ miles or so, but I would not have justified keeping them so long if I hadn't done most of the repair work myself. The 04 was retired at about 230K miles due to a stuck expansion valve. The 06 was retired at about 240K miles due to finding the right replacement car at the right price.

I know beggars can't be picky, but I did not like the way those cars drive, at all. Steering is way too light for my taste. So I signed up for this.

With only 108k on the odometer... you bought a decent car, for a decent price.... but the LS (if neglected) can be a money pit.

The aftermarket parts don't hold up nearly as well as the factory parts... but as Joe said... the factory parts are starting to be hard to find.

As an alternative to the Town Car... you could look for an early 2000's Mercury Grand Marquis LSE. The one I had years ago had the air ride in the back, and a performance suspension. It handled almost as good as the LS I have.

Or... you could buy a retied cop car for about what you paid for the LS. I know for a fact that the Crown Vic cop cars handle and scoot. Parts for the Panther body ( Grand Marquis and Crown Vic ) are plentiful.

Surprisingly... the dealer only does the plug holes that blow out. You would think they would do all of them.

Maybe they would if the customer requests it... for an additional charge.

Well, you guys seem to be right so far....Check AdvanceTrac came on as soon as I started driving today.....sigh

Sorry to hear that. Take it to your local auto parts store... and have them hook up a scanner to it, to see what the trouble codes are.

Report back when you have them. They all mostly should start with P0... and end with 3 numbers... such as P0442 for an example.

Reading this from the sidelines, I would recommend changing the fuel filter first, and those are pretty cheap. Miles aside, 19 years (potentially on that filter) is enough reason to change it, due to internal tank debris that accumulates over time, even with the car not being used much. Here's to good luck and long lasting COPs (coil on plug) and plastic cooling system parts with your car.

Sorry to hear that. Take it to your local auto parts store... and have them hook up a scanner to it, to see what the trouble codes are.

Report back when you have them. They all mostly should start with P0... and end with 3 numbers... such as P0442 for an example.
Advance Auto refused to read the codes because It wasnt a CEL....some bullshit

Yeah... and the thing is... any time a tanker truck drops a load of fuel... it stirs up sediment in the underground tanks.

Plus... if the tanks are old enough... and steel... they can corrode. which creates more sediment that gets sucked up by the gas pump.

Al that goes in the gas tank... and up to the fuel filter. The fuel filter is the last line of defense.

Advance Auto refused to read the codes because It wasnt a CEL....some bullshit
They still should have been readable... if they something more than just a code reader.

Find another parts store. Napa, O'Reilly's, Checkers, Auto Zone, etc.

Some auto repair shops will even check codes for free. Could be something as easy/cheap as a wheel speed sensor.

If you read my post you'll notice my second sentence states they are different.

But then you go and offer him a Gen 2 manual... when he has a gen 1.

There is going to be some incompatibility. That's right... take a new guy... and hand him invalid info.

The Gen 1 LS uses a throttle cable... whereas the Gen 2 has an electric throttle. THAT'S just ONE major difference.

Some of the cooling system components are different to.

But let's just use the wrong manual. :rolleyes:

They still should have been readable... if they something more than just a code reader.

Find another parts store. Napa, O'Reilly's, Checkers, Auto Zone, etc.

Some auto repair shops will even check codes for free. Could be something as easy/cheap as a wheel speed sensor.
Well, she's mad. Lesson learnt, don't drive an 18yr old car like it's a getaway car.

She's throwing C1280, C1279, and P1000 at me....

Members online

No members online now.
Back