New Dash Lights.

MachVIII

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Tried searching, no luck. Basically it seems like one or two of my dash lights is out. At night when it comes on, my fuel gauge is hardly visible. My Speedo is perfectly lit up and fades as you loook towards the fuel guage. How hard is it to replace the bulb/bulbs. Thanks.

Shouldn't be hard at all. Just remove the instrument cluster, and the bulbs should be on the backside. 1/4 turn and remove.

Not that hard? Have you ever done it? :D Its a PITA lol

Just lots of screws to take out to get the cluster out. Its a matter of taking your time. Two main screws are right up and under the upper dash.

I think you also pull of the headlight knob, then pull off the trim to get to a couple more.

I have to take mine out twice, never enjoyed doing it.

It's not all that bad, I had to replace 1 bulb in the cluster. Just be carefull & dont break anything!!! Ray has a great write up on it somewhere, as a matter of fact, he has a lot of great write ups on the mark.

best plan is to replace all the 194 bulbs, unless you really wanna do the job twice(main gauge lighting bulbs, not the warning indicator lights, they are usually smaller and a pita to find) theres 6-8 194 bulbs

I am wondering, could you put different color lights?

Yes, but there are "filters" in the gel to color them green. However, the color gel used is very weak. Blue will have a slight green tone, like ocean water. Very nice. And red would appear darker than it should. Yellow will just look like a light green.

I Live In MA, I will most likely be wating till summer to tackle the job. Thanks for the help.

someone does for 1st gen, because the 93 sitting in my shop from a customer has white face gauges, that are indiglo at night, there is a switch to select from green to blue lighting, and a dimmer.

White faces

After Geno stopped making these I amost gave up on white face gauges. After wading through all kinds of bull:q:q:q:q sites, I found S&H Autotrends in Havelock, NC. I ordered a set form them in Dec. but haven't gotten them yet. I'll let everyone know what happens.
Call me for details at 816-518-5525. Kevin.

other then that, I have been told you can buy sheets of the stuff and cut your own to fit in the gauges, I think you have to make your own marks on it though, but I'm sure you can find a small print shop and come up with a design for you gauges. I just dont know who sells it.

I supose if enough pepole want them, somebody can make a run on them here.

Any thing can be done to a car as long as you have time and money.

I will have to dig up so old emails but I know a guy who can do custom faces for almost any cluster.

other then that, I have been told you can buy sheets of the stuff and cut your own to fit in the gauges, I think you have to make your own marks on it though, but I'm sure you can find a small print shop and come up with a design for you gauges. I just dont know who sells it.

the stuff you are thinking of are sheets of electroluminescent lighting, you can cut the stuff with scissors any shape you want . the stuff is all over ebay, so are the tiny transformers needed to power it, its all 12 volt stuff. i have made projects with it in the past pretty cool stuff. i actually have a killer project brewing in my head with this stuff but its top secret right now, i dont want anyone stealing my idea, but mark VIII owners are gonna drool!!!

Tru Dat !!!

TLC Time and Lots o' Cash!:D

kustom, is that the guy/place that will do any face for any car?

I've got a 98 F-150 with a considerable amount of work done to it; the only place I've found that made white face guages for it... stopped making them. So if you know of someone that will make me one, by all means... do tell!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back