neutral safety switch

MTC

LVC Member
Reaction score
can a failing neutral safety switch cause the car to shut down while in operation? I swapped out my old one and my speed sensor as well well it just so happens that when my 8 starts to stall the speedo maxes out! I was able to diag my ecu and it tests fine when I run the data link it only comes up with codes for mas, and neutral safety switch twice for the switch. I cleaned the mas it helped for an hour or so then back to surging. but the stalling never left once the car got to operating temp it stalled let it cool then off I go untill it gets hot.
I must be an idiot maybe the king of the village of the idiots. anybody want to buy my Mark 8 1,500 im tired of the crap. 1993 forest green Mark 8 great shape not perfect.

Mark VIII's don't have neutral safety switches. They do have a transmission range sensor and that is likely not the problem you are having. I would possibly suspect a chafed wire, if your tach is going ape :q:q:q:q when this happens.

Check the wires to the VSS, bet they are bare somewhere near the plug.

Yes it can cause surging, I had the same problem and got a Neutral drive circuit open code and a range sensor not switching states. I installed a neutral safety switch and no more surging. I did this after replacing every sensor on the stupid thing. Everybody told me this was not my problem, but guess what>? It fixed it so it was the damn problem.

Was the switch aligned when installed? Its a pretty easy install, but it must be aligned.

Members online

No members online now.
Back