neon tailight problem

mark0101

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Here is a video showing the problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDQrq4eLA1M
It all started when I couldn't start my car because of all the build up, so I changed it with the plug in the video and now my neon tailight doesn't work right. I am guessing its not getting enough power so it can't turn it on. how do you think I would be able to fix it?

i was gonna say ballast, but if its working normally when the lights are manually on it may be something else..........ive never used the auto headlight thingy.......

You guys are not gonna believe this but I tried it and it worked on my 98 LSC as well! maybe the problem is in the switch. And my battery terminals have never been coroded.

my 97 lsc did it to, i changed the headlight switch and it fixed it, but i'm not saying it will solve your problems.

I am trying to figure out a way to get ridd of the neon completely and installing a led line of fire bar for trucks inside the light, no more ballast and neon and hopefully will work a hell of a lot better I have a spare neon I already ripped apart and now fitting it all together but I've been lazy and need to finish it.. haha

I am trying to figure out a way to get ridd of the neon completely and installing a led line of fire bar for trucks inside the light, no more ballast and neon and hopefully will work a hell of a lot better I have a spare neon I already ripped apart and now fitting it all together but I've been lazy and need to finish it.. haha

you really need to finish it but could you also take pics step by step so if others want do it. That would be good if it works exactly the same since LED respones time is fast too.

lincolnlife, we should get together sometime. I also have to update my info now that we have moved to Jacksonville, I am near Blanding where the Lincoln dealership "USED" to be.

I guess for right now I will live with it and try to turn the headlamps on manually:rolleyes: I will look into replacing that headlight switch

Hi!

Why not get 1 of several LED kits in Ebay under LED lightbar ........these range from 17" thru 48" & even up to 60"long.....there are also lightbar strips pre-made.....any color from clear white thru red or blue or green.....just remove the existing Mark VIII neon ballast, remove the Mark VIII Neon light housing backing, install the new LED lightbar tacked in with clear slicone onto the backing, replace housing backing & wire up to existing wiring already there from the neon feed....Should work????

you cant remove the neon housing backing without cutting it, it doesnt come apart the light was never meant to be seperated, but with a steady hand and a dremmel you can cut it, thats the only way you are gonna get inside it.

Its about time we take our Marks to the next level by upgrading to leds, that what all the newer cars going to. They use less power are more durable and they last a hell of alot longer than the old lightbulbs. But the downside is that they cost bit more.

I had this same idea but have yet to try and tackle it, but my rear neon is still working so I haven't seen the need to do so.

Has anyone tried replacing the tail and turn lights with the LED bulbs? If so did you have to buy the load resistors and wire them in series with the bulb to make the turn signals function correctly? Also, without the resistors does the message center ever error out asking you to check the bulbs?

reminds me of when i was growing up if we had to make our own adapters to get mulity carbs 2x4 or up to 6x2s. this is what hotrodding is about. can't buy it make it then make it work. jd

reminds me of when i was growing up if we had to make our own adapters to get mulity carbs 2x4 or up to 6x2s. this is what hotrodding is about. can't buy it make it then make it work. jd

boys bolt on, real men fabricate

Do u guys think a ballast from Homedepot would work. They have ballast for Neon lights.

lol no a ballast from home depot wont work, for one, they dont put out enough power, two the ones at home depot are ac power for a house, the one on your car is dc power, and three the ballast on the mark VIII neon is a 2 phase invertor, meaning when turned on the first phase lights the neon and the 2nd phase takes over, its also a multi current ballast on the mark VIII to power the tail light portion then it sends more current to the neon when you step on the brakes. just buy a ballast from glitchm@yahoo.com $90 bucks shipped cant beat that.

Just an update: It was the ballast because now it just blinks and shuts off. I guess it was starting to run down form that point on.

It blinks because like Jamie said it is a two stage inverter. The first stage lights the neon the second stage keeps it lit. The First stage does a small fraction of the work and doesn't go bad as often. So in your case the first stage is lighting the neon but the second stage is bad and does not keep it lit which is why it just flashes.

I would like to see how this turns out. I have an extra lamp assembly that has a short somewhere and will not light up and I have thought about cutting into to try and use LEDs.

Members online

No members online now.
Back