Needing help on new parts/upgrades

Mark'dnMississippi

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls. I am a newly inducted member here and am very excited about it. I am the proud owner of my 2nd Mark (95 Blk & 98 LSC Pearl) and am really interested in starting some modding for my 98 DD. I wanna start with:

J-Mod... then
Some cobra parts under the hood, but dont know where to start. With what year cobra parts are interchangeable?
Wanted to S/C her but not for my DD.
Looking to add 20 to 50 xtra ponies...

Any help?????

20-50 hp... hmmm... TUNE!!!! Gears, Stall, and a Cobra intake.

Adding power isn't nearly as effective in making your Mark quicker than gears and a stall will.

3 biggest bang for your buck mods imo...

Tune
Gears
Stall

Cobra intake swap is worth a few ponies. I would do 4.10 gears and exhaust. Best two mods I did. 3000 stall converter too. They don't add horsepower, but will help a lot. How much loot do you have to spend? You could build a 5.1 stroker and keep it NA. Your budget will dictate what you can do. Do a search on mods and you will find a wealth of info.

Adding power isn't nearly as effective in making your Mark quicker than gears and a stall will.

Tune
Gears
Stall

This really really helps. ALOT. This is why I joined this site. Cause PPL acutally respond to ppl who need help!

Cobra intake swap is worth a few ponies. I would do 4.10 gears and exhaust. Best two mods I did. 3000 stall converter too. They don't add horsepower, but will help a lot. How much loot do you have to spend? You could build a 5.1 stroker and keep it NA. Your budget will dictate what you can do. Do a search on mods and you will find a wealth of info.

This really really helps. ALOT. This is why I joined this site. Cause PPL acutally respond to ppl who need help!

Tune
Gears
Stall

I was also trying to keep my MPGz as high as possible. Im getting 22 in the city (no A/C) but around 19 or 20 with A/C on blast

no mark VIII was posi. they all came one wheel peelz. many of us have fixed that, trac loc's are fun!

no mark VIII was posi. they all came one wheel peelz. many of us have fixed that, trac loc's are fun!

Well, when I bought my 95, which I thought was all stock, it must have had posi installed... I would be sideways in a burnout or under WOT. Plus the tranny would chirp the 1-2 shifts

been looking on eBay for intake from Cobra, dunno where to start. Are they Direct replacement? What year am I looking for? Do I need I with fuel rails and sensors still attached? What type of throttle body, intake tube and MAF would I need?

I'm betting you still have the lim-slip in yours, Base comes with 3/08 and LSC comes with 3/27, both are lim-slips...my car chirps every now and then going into 3rd, so chirping into 1st and 2nd not uncommon...I've even had my tires still smokin well into 3rd gear...and I've got stock 3/08s ...
If you drive hwy alot then you'll suffer a few mpg for the bigger gears, is common sence, higher rpms will yeild more fuel consumption

So far for a DD, 3/55 posi seems the best bet for a fun car thats capable of being DD without fueling every other day

Mark8s are a 29 spline

As far as getting a Cobra intake, the biggest difference you will see is what you SEE, I'm thinking the last recorded dyno difference was like 5hp or some low insignificant number.

Best advice is to prepare it for power before you get the power..frame cross braces, 255 pump and gears and exhaust...you won't need a tune for any of those things..unless you get a 4/10 then you do

As far as getting a Cobra intake, the biggest difference you will see is what you SEE, I'm thinking the last recorded dyno difference was like 5hp or some low insignificant number.

Best advice is to prepare it for power before you get the power..frame cross braces, 255 pump and gears and exhaust...you won't need a tune for any of those things..unless you get a 4/10 then you do

I agree. I have an SCT tune and it did nothing for me. In fact after I J-modded it I even had to take the "shift firmness" out of the tune because the J-mod took care of that.

So honestly until I get a dyno tune...the tune isn't worth a damn!

I'm betting you still have the lim-slip in yours, Base comes with 3/08 and LSC comes with 3/27, both are lim-slips.

Mark8s are a 29 spline

Huh?

All Mark VIII's came with open differentials stock.

And 28 spline differentials and axles.

I agree. I have an SCT tune and it did nothing for me. In fact after I J-modded it I even had to take the "shift firmness" out of the tune because the J-mod took care of that.

So honestly until I get a dyno tune...the tune isn't worth a damn!

Don't hate on the tune because you bought a :q:q:q:qty one and put it on your :q:q:q:qty car... emphasis on :q:q:q:qty tune.

I will bet money that from stock to tuned you get more bang for your buck than any other mod.

Don't hate on the tune because you bought a :q:q:q:qty one and put it on your :q:q:q:qty car... emphasis on :q:q:q:qty tune.

I will bet money that from stock to tuned you get more bang for your buck than any other mod.

I wonder if a dyno tune would give me results like your are asserting....hmmmm

Welcome aboard, and it's good to see some southern members. I don't know of any Mississippi members yet. Before you put one single mod on your Mark, make sure the mechanics are good. Invest your first $1000 in doing the front end, because I am sure your car needs it, check all your vacuum lines for leaks, seafoam the intake and do a basic service and change out all of your spark plugs. If you have Gen II, then change your boots. A good running Mark is essential to start with. ;)

Eh 28 spline, I have a small iPhone keyboard...and I also had a safety meeting before posting,

anywahoo..welcome to the LVC crowd..get ready for some laughs and ball busting..

Most of what you need for your Mark has already been posted here..use search if you can, if it doesn't work for ya..and alot of times it doesn't...someone here can help..good luck

Members online

No members online now.
Back