Need some help....

Sal329

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I was driving to work in the am and slowed down then went to speed up. The car made a very loud popping noise, engine ran rough. I pulled over, was towed to work. I went out on my lunch break seen that one of my wires had a tear up top and it was pushed up out of the head a lil bit. I pulled it out and the sparkplug was attached to it. I replaced the wire, put the plug back in and the car ran great my 30 miles home. This mornin it was cold, I started the car and I heard the same pop with the same rough running. Why would the spark plug just push up out of the head? The car is a 94 mark VIII.

Sounds to me like maybe the hole is stripped out. I heard that's a common problem on these cars.

I would not say its a common problem at all. This is maybe the third time I have heard of this happening.

Usually the cause its stripped threads. Someone may have cross-threaded it or installed the plugs when the engine was still warm. Warm aluminum = soft.

it happens, usually from some idiot changing the plugs previously and corss threading it. now that you blew it out twice, you have no chance in hell it will stay in on its own now, you either have to have it sleeved witha heli coil or change the head! obviously option 1 is alot cheaper.

Spark plug bowout is a known problem for the modular line of motors. Helicoils can be used with a varied, usually less than desired result. There is really only one real fix and that is the Timesert kit. Prepoerly used the timesert kit will fix your head and you won't ever have to worry about it again.

http://www.timesert.com/html/triton_repair.html

Remember do not use Bosch plugs, replace w/ autolites or NGk's. Modular's and Bosch do not mix well.

As stated above it can be common. I had it happen on my 94 Mark and since my buddy works at the Lincoln dealer and we mod cars together I went to him same day. He said they get it a lot with 4.6 and that they had a thread kit for it. He did it for me in minutes and it held for me.I never had a problem ever again, reguardless of severe driving loads.

i had no problem with bosch plugs in my old gm stuff. but i have read over and over never to use them in a ford.

i've got motorcrafts in my mark vii, may it rest in peace, and ngk's in my lightning.

Thanks - I learned something new. I've had 4 Marks and never had that happen, or even hear of it for that matter.

Glad I read this cause when I was doing my last tune up, I was very careful to not strip or force a plug in, you can bet I was wondering what repairs I owuld have to do if I did - nice to know that this particular "screw up" can be easly fixed!

Love Ya Guys!
MsM8

Thanks - I learned something new. I've had 4 Marks and never had that happen, or even hear of it for that matter.

MsM8

Actually, you have Deb. Remember the FIRST motor that was in the Barney mobile?? It had the same problem, and some freakin (for the lack of a better word here on LvC) retard JB Welded the plug into the hole.....ring a bell??:shifty:

Actually, you have Deb. Remember the FIRST motor that was in the Barney mobile?? It had the same problem, and some freakin (for the lack of a better word here on LvC) retard JB Welded the plug into the hole.....ring a bell??:shifty:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy hell i about pissed myself, jb weld, i had a guy from a limo service ask me to try tapping the plug in the hole with a hammer, when he blew one out

I run NGK plugs. I replaced these plugs 8k miles ago. I have replaced plugs in an 01 cobra engine that use to be in my Mustang every other oil change, so I have done this often and I never had any problems like this. No the engine was not hot, the car actually sat for 2 days before I replaced the plugs, I never had to force any plug in as well. They all went in smoothe.

Members online

No members online now.
Back