Need help

dbleb88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I am working on a 97 that someone installed aftermarket HID's in that seem to work fine. The only problem is the check headlight message. They are wired through a relay from the battery and triggered by the l/h headlight harness in front of the core support. When trying to bypass the relay and wire the transformers directly to the 2 factory headlight pigtails before the factory headlight ballast it smokes the SCIL after a couple start ups. The lamps are Xeon 35 watt 6000k bulbs. Somehow there must be a resistor or harness available that makes the SCIL think headlights are on. Tried seaching but everything refered to a gen I. Help me and I will be your friend for life, and at my age that shoudn't be too long. Thanx Bruce

These should not be wired up at all.

00096_7.jpg

I would remove them from the car completely. The only thing that should be connected is one relay harness (usually 40 amp) and 2 aftermarket ballast and 2 aftermarket bulbs. If a relay harness is involved, the passenger side headlight connector won't even be hooked up because the relay harness has that connection. Just tape it off so that it doesn't get corroded by being open to the elements.

Stopping the error message, if it says (check headlight error) can be fixed by clipping the wire on the lamp out module. It's located next to the glove box latch and is held in place with one bolt, about an inch long.

00096_21.jpg

00096_22.jpg

You will need to cut the brown/light blue stripe wire, which is circled here:

00096_23.jpg

Here is another pic with a mirror so that you can see where the lamp out module is.

lamp-out.jpg

Re-install the lamp out module and then all glove box contents, re-attach the string on the side of the glove box and you should be done. You won't see the error message again and it does not effect the other bulbs on the car. If a brake light goes out, you will get a message letting you know. The wire you are clipping is for the headlights only. The wire you are clipping should be the same color on all years, not just 93-95's

Terry, on the 2nd gens, the scil module controls the check headlamps message, and is not as easy to disable. Bruce I have put aftermarket hid's in a bunch of 2nd gens, with and without relay kits. Only 1 ever had a problem with the check headlamps message. I never could get it to go away on that car. I even tried a different relay harness and different hid ballasts and bulbs. Anyway for your problem the only thing I know to tell you to try, is check your headlamp grounds. They are on the front of the radiator core support on each side. Might also check your body ground off of the negative battery post.

I have this problem in my 97 because the previous owner converted to halogens and I converted back to aftermarket HIDs. Since they only run through the driver's side with a relay, they throw a code. I'm just grateful to have lights back in that are exactly the same temperature and actually work.

Terry, on the 2nd gens, the scil module controls the check headlamps message, and is not as easy to disable. Bruce I have put aftermarket hid's in a bunch of 2nd gens, with and without relay kits. Only 1 ever had a problem with the check headlamps message. I never could get it to go away on that car. I even tried a different relay harness and different hid ballasts and bulbs. Anyway for your problem the only thing I know to tell you to try, is check your headlamp grounds. They are on the front of the radiator core support on each side. Might also check your body ground off of the negative battery post.

Thanks for schooling me on that. Never had any idea but now I know. Just figured since the headlights work on Gen 1's without a SCIL, the same would apply for aftermarket HID's too.

Isn't there a lamp out module in the same place near the glove box latch?

Members online

Back