Need Advice on Warranty Problem

pjm

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just thought I would post this in case anyone had any suggestions. I took my 2006 LS to the dealer last Monday to get some warranty issues fixed. The two problems I had were the belt tensioner which they replaced and a cold start problem. When the outside temp goes below -15C the car does not start properly. It takes forever to start but turns over fine. However if I cycle the ignition several times and then turn it over it starts right away, which to me indicates that there is a loss of fuel pressure, since the cycling of the ignition pressures up the fuel system. Unfortunately, it has been warm here all week and the dealer can’t simulate the problem. The mechanic working on it figures a check valve in the fuel pump is bad but he can’t replace it because he can’t simulate the problem. I have this problem on video and have showed the dealer but the dealership won’t replace anything unless they can see it for themselves because Ford won’t pay them for it. I have tried calling Ford Canada Warranty but they tell me the same thing. The warranty runs out today. This is very frustrating because I know there is a problem (I have it on video) but since the tech can’t see it for him self I will have have to fix it myself out of my own pocket. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pat

In theory, since you have documented the complaint before the warranty ran out, they should still have to fix it if it shows up again soon. (They did give you an invoice indicating your complaint, didn't they?) I guess you'll have to hope for cold weather. If you see that it is going to be really cold one night, then You should leave the car with them that night and have them try to start it the next day before it warms up. If you can't do that, then come back each time you experience it. Ford does not like to see multiple returns for the same problem, and after the second or third one, they may replace it anyway.

Hey Guys,

I need to vent a little so here goes. Here is the whole story. Sorry for the length I just needed to get it out.

On March 1, 2009 I took my car to Festival Ford in Red Deer to have some warranty work done. The warranty was due to expire on March 15, 2009. The problems I listed were:

1. A loud noise on start up that only happened when it was cold (-15 C or colder) and seemed to be related to the accessories belt as the belt moved from side to side when this happened.
2. A cold start problem that happened at zero degrees C or colder where the car would turn over for a long time before starting if it started at all on the first attempt. If the ignition was cycled on and off 2 or 3 times and then turned to the start position, the car would start immediately.
3. The power steering fluid level had gone down, although it was still in acceptable range.

I dropped the car off in the morning and asked the service advisor if these issues would be covered by warranty. The service advisor told me these issues would be covered by warranty. To avoid any confusion I also gave the service advisor a letter that described the above issues I wanted addressed along with a note at the bottom saying: BEFORE DOING ANY WORK PLEASE CALL ME TO LET ME KNOW WHAT WILL BE COVERED BY THE WARRANTY. I WILL NOT PAY FOR ANYTHING THAT WAS NOT AUTHORIZED BY ME. The service advisor read the letter and placed it with their other paperwork about the car.

Since it was a cold start problem that would probably not occur with a warm engine, the service advisor asked me if they could park it outside overnight and start it in the morning to see if they could replicate the problems. I agreed.

On Wednesday the service advisor called to tell me that the mechanic had found the problems with the noise on cold start. The car required a new belt and tensioner which they had to order in.

On Tuesday March 16, 2010, the service advisor called me to ask if I wanted to come in and discuss the cold start problem with herself and the mechanic as they could not reproduce the problem. I told her I didn’t think that would be of any value since I had already told both of them everything I could about it. They told me the other repair had been made, so I told her I would pick up the car in the afternoon.

The service advisor called me back about 10 minutes later to tell that they where charging me $104.95 as a diagnostic fee since they could not find the cold start problem.

When I went to the dealership I told the service advisor that I did not think the $104.95 charge was fair because:
1. No one had told me that there would be a diagnostic fee if no problem was found.
2. I had verbally asked her to call me for approval if anything was to be charged to me BEFOREHAND.
3. I had written her that I would pay for nothing unless it was approved by me first.

When I pointed out what I had wrote on the letter the service advisor took me to her manager. The service advisor then told me that by taking the car there to get serviced I had authorized them to charge me the diagnostic fee. After arguing with the manager and the service advisor for 10 minutes it was obvious they would not give me the car with out me paying the $104.95, so I paid and tried to leave. However the battery was dead so I had to get them to give me a boost. When I went back inside and asked the service advisor why the battery was dead she said “I don’t know we started it everyday.” I hope they did not wreck the battery. I will charge it and test it later. Although if they did damage it, I have no recourse.

I don’t agree with Ford’s policy of charging diagnostic time to the customer if they can’t find a problem. All it does is reward them for intermittent problems. Basically they are charging the customer for problems he has with his vehicle. I thought the whole idea of a warranty was not to pay for repairs. For all I know they never did any diagnostics on my car, they could have just started it once and when it didn’t exhibit the problem they may have never looked at it again. The more times a customer comes in for the same problem the more money they make. Even if I did agree with this policy it doesn’t matter. Even if I did agree with this policy it doesn’t matter. I clearly told them (verbally and in writing) to call me first BEFORE I was to be charged with anything. If I knew they would charge me diagnostics to find the cold start problem I wouldn’t bother to get them to look at it. I would have looked at it myself when the car was off warranty.

I called Ford Warranty and they basically were no help and took the side of the dealer.

I am very disappointed with Festival Ford and I will no longer buy ANYTHING from their dealership and I will encourage my friends and family to do the same. I think this is a poor way to conduct business and treat customers.

I don’t agree with Ford’s policy of charging diagnostic time to the customer if they can’t find a problem. ...

Ford's policy is that they won't pay the dealer for diagnostics if they don't find a problem. It's the dealer's policy to charge (or not charge) you when this happens. I have found the Lincoln (as opposed to Ford) dealers are less likely to charge you and more likely to find a way to get Ford to pick up the bill. I've never been charged anything for warranty complaints. I did have a couple of cases where I took my 2006 LS in for issues that they couldn't duplicate (after spending quite some time on it). I was not charged anything in either case. I think that you have found a bad dealer that you shouldn't use. I have a good one that I am willing to drive 70 miles to instead of the bad one that is 5 miles from me.

This is random, but joe - post some pictures of your LSes. I have never seen your car(s)

I dont agree with that charging either or that they just throw new parts at your car until they solve the problem while you're paying for all of it and not find the one actual problem from the start.

+1, I want to see your cars too joe. Start a new thread with them ;)

I've always been told, at the dealer I use, they will not charge a diagnostic fee under warranty if something relating to the specified problem is found. In your case they found out the tensioner and belt needed replaced, so there should be no fee. Sounds like you found a bad dealer to me too.

This is random, but joe - post some pictures of your LSes. I have never seen your car(s)

Okay

IMG_1482.JPG

Damn that is one sexy garage! White LSE/06 fronts look so beast.

Are they both yours, or does a wife snag the other? :D

I'm really liking the white 06! Gorgeous. Nice cars joe. No mods besides ss lines?

I'm really liking the white 06! Gorgeous. Nice cars joe. No mods besides ss lines?

Just some minor electronic tweaks on both.

And to the other question, one for me and the other for my wife, but we switch them around now and then.

is that an autumn red 04? that is by far the best color made.

the white one isn't too bad either :cool:

I think that color is actually called vivid red. Nice color for sure.

White '06 Questions

Oops, how do I delete a message? Button says 'edit/delete' but I don't see how.

...In this pic the color looks like a pure white. I'm only familiar with the cream colored with pearl white earlier models. Is the color really a white or is it the same as the earlier off white pearls?

BTW, nice car Joe.

I won't get into shades of color, because I'm not good at that. I will say that it is not pure white or really white. Keep in mind to that the picture was not taken in natural light.

Members online

No members online now.
Back