Need advice on choosing Woofers

I found my W6 in a ported box for 250 dollars. Prices seem different in your area but those w3s are nice. Forget that amp though, that's not even enough to push one let alone 2. And I'm pretty sure that box is a JL slash series box. Big $$$

Check out the Polk DXi. I have two 12" in my trunk and they sound incredible. Usually have to have them turned way down, though.

Not to sound like a d!ck, but JL is mostly overpriced when you look @ the comparable drivers from 'underground' brands.

I feel sorry for anyone who has bought JL from an "authorized dealer". JL makes some quality stuff, but the $ they want is approaching crook status.

I would definitely look a little better than a DXi, at a bare minimum something with dual coils that can handle some power, so that you only need one vs having to have a couple.

unfortunately, I see way to many DXis come back into the store blown from being hooked up to polk's own "recommended" amps.

Unless you really WANT to spend more on jl.

LOL, well the same could be said about some of our cars, we could have bought a ford, but the name Lincoln just has a better ring to it!

not that there is any thing wrong with a lot of the under ground or non-mainstream brands(the ones listed above are definitely thumbs, two of them, straight the fukc up), but sometimes there is nothing wrong with paying a premium for a name that everybody has heard of. trust me, it gets old real quick, having to explain who a company is over and over again get old quick. not to mention having to try to convince some one that this brand that they have never heard of is better than brand X because so many of their friends have that...

back a while ago, I had a RE audio 12, sounded amazing and was loud as hell. even after hearing it, people were more interested in stuff they admittedly said didn't sound as good, and went with the lower end better known brands.

#Iwearmybrandslikeastatussymbol

That sub hits extremely hard. Put in a ported enclosure and you're golden.

yes sirrrr! getting a sub in the 1kw+ club for a little over two hundred bucks is a deal in any language.

Not to sound like a d!ck, but JL is mostly overpriced when you look @ the comparable drivers from 'underground' brands.

I feel sorry for anyone who has bought JL from an "authorized dealer". JL makes some quality stuff, but the $ they want is approaching crook status.

I bought my JL not for how hard they hit, but how clean they are. I used to sell audio equipment. I've been around it all, but a clean sub is far more important to me than something that is just retarded loud.

I do agree that JL's pricing is a little ridiculous, but you cannot deny they are a quality sub.

Did I mention that I've been sending 4000watts to a JL10W3 for 6 years now without blowing it??

I blew two other SPL subs before I threw in a 10W3 I had laying around. It was just supposed to be something temporary, and it ended up being the best sub I'd run yet.

What is the rms of that JL you speak of? I'm assuming its under 1k. I've heard of underrated woofers but to quadruple the power, that's extremely hard to believe. If the woofer is in your Ls, I don't see how you could successfully run 4k watts unless your running an HO alt. Not enough juice for that. Especially in a gen 1.

I'm beating the crap out of my DC XL 12. Running off of an AQ2200. I can't run the full wattage because of voltage drop.

What is the rms of that JL you speak of? I'm assuming its under 1k. I've heard of underrated woofers but to quadruple the power, that's extremely hard to believe. If the woofer is in your Ls, I don't see how you could successfully run 4k watts unless your running an HO alt. Not enough juice for that. Especially in a gen 1.

I'm beating the crap out of my DC XL 12. Running off of an AQ2200. I can't run the full wattage because of voltage drop.

RMS is 500 IIRC..
It's in my Cobra . It's a clean signal, in a 1.5 cubic foot sealed box, which is pretty large, and obviously helps.. I'm sure I could blow the cone right out of it if I wanted, but never have. Obviously, the gains are at about 50%, bass boost off.

My 200 Amp alternator and 2 Stinger Batteries mounted in the rear set wells can barely keep up.

My LS has a 10W6 that receives 500RMS. Between it and the 75x4, I can't see running anything bigger without having problems..

That makes a lil bit more sense. There's not many woofers with rms wattage at 4k, especially mainstream brands. For example DC audio only sells 1 4k watt woofer which is a monster of an 85 lb 18".

I should revise that ans say it's hooked to a 4k watt amp but not actually receiving 4000 watts, although it is getting at least 4x what it is rated for. Before that, I was never really a JL fan, mainly I think because I never sold them and got tired of seeing JL stickers on every young kids vehicle, but after owning a few of their subs, I've been more than impressed, especially with their stealth boxes.. Just replaced a 2-10 box in my roommates Silverado SS with a 10W6 Stealthbox and the improvement was incredible for losing one 10.. He paid $550 for the box, which came loaded with a $350 10W6.. I couldn't even build a fiberglass box that cheap let alone the 2 days of headaches, mess, and time.

Back to the OP, I would be all over that Dual 12W3 box, although definitely check them out. That amp he was powering them with was nothing short of pathetic. You can find alot of nice, tiny digital Class D amps for cheap these days, and I would try to give them 1000w RMS.

Members online

Back