Nav/THX - How Many Pre-outs Needed?

WhoBeDaPlaya

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Am thinking of replacing the stock nav/THX headunit in an 06LS elite (probably with an AVIC X710BT).

How many pre-outs would I need to hook an aftermarket HU up with the factory THX amps? Also, does the voltage level matter? eg. the X710BT is 3x 2V, Z110BT is 3x 4V, Kenwood DNX9140 is 6x 5V, etc.

Again, very many TIA! :)

I have done a couple of these before and it was a major PITA. The stock deck only has four channels out and the processor was in the amp if I remember correctly. We used an AVIC-Z1 and I needed a special interface from Scoche but forget what it was. I will email my friend to see if he remembers. It didnt sound that great though. High end systems like that are really matched to each other and there is hidden equilization and other issues.
Your best bet is to run new wires and hook up new speakers. Thats what I did the second time after letting the guy know that the interface and extra time I had to charge would cove some better quality coaxials and just bypass the factory amps with a small sub.

Just my.02

Am thinking of replacing the stock nav/THX headunit in an 06LS elite (probably with an AVIC X710BT).

How many pre-outs would I need to hook an aftermarket HU up with the factory THX amps? Also, does the voltage level matter? eg. the X710BT is 3x 2V, Z110BT is 3x 4V, Kenwood DNX9140 is 6x 5V, etc.

Why? The THX certified system isn't some stereo shop cobbled together system. Serious time and money was spent on the certification. Do some research on the accolades the system received when it was introduced in '03. Then again, it isn't a ghetto go deaf system........

^True. Both times I replaced them the deck had gone bad and was too expensive to replace. If my Mark had the LS THX system then it would have never been replaced. There are only a couple of factory systems I have heard that sounded better. One was a Mark Levinson system in a Lexus LS sedan. Man that sounded terrific! The other was a Dolby Pro system ina Volvo S80.
I have built people $7000 systems that were significantly louder but didnt have the detail and clairity of the three systems I just mentioned.

if your THX aint broke dont replace it, i remember when i got my LS and in NYC you need to go and take pics of the car to send to the insurance company one of the locations was a cuztoms place and when one of the audio installers saw that big THX sign he was soooo suprised. and i get alot of complements on the quality of my stock unit it is cristal clear even though its only 280 watts, i could just imagine the one in the MKS thats 500 watts. DONT CHANGE IT.

I enjoy my THX, but coming from this I will want some more thump later when funds permit!

515340.jpg

I got a 06 LS Sport without nav,is it possible for me to put a nav-thx system in my car from a 06 LS elite?

I got a 06 LS Sport without nav,is it possible for me to put a nav-thx system in my car from a 06 LS elite?

Sure. You will need to do the following.

1. Replace the headunit with the navigation head unit.
2. Add the subwoofer amplifier and subwoofers.
3. Add the door speakers amplifier (goes in the trunk).
4. Replace the door speakers with the correct ones.
5. Add the navigation DVD map unit in the trunk.
6. Replace the rear view mirror (the mirror has a microphone for the nav unit).
7. Replace the steering wheel audio controls (they're different from non-nav).
8. Add the GPS antenna.
9. Replace multiple wiring harnesses.
10. Calibrate nav unit.
11. Buy updated map disc ($199).

I don't think that the voltage really matters.
You need.
1. Mono subwoofer pre-out (low pass) for the sub-woofer amp.
2. Front stereo pre-outs (high pass) for the amplifier in the trunk for the front doors.
3. Rear stereo pre-outs (high pass) for the amplifier in the trunk for the rear doors.

Members online

Back