My car jerks

rizzle206

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi I just got this car a few months ago..it had a check engine light stedy on when i got the car..I had the codes red and it was a o2 sensor had that fixed and no check engine light..also noticed that it was jerking up hills and had no power unless i punched the gas..and punching the gas one of those times it mad a really bad noise and the check engine light was flashing I had it towed to the shop and they said it was a bad plug and coilpack..I had that fixed and finished the rest of the plugs my self..it still has the jerk but only when it gets wormed up and now no check engine light...sorry about the long post just trying to fit it all in there...i was just wondering if anyone has had this problem and might no what it is before i have it go back to the shop thanks..:D

If you only changed one coil, change the remaining 7 and your problem will be fixed. Check the threads on top of the forum page for details.

Thats what I was thinking too..those things are not cheap but we will give it a shot thanks..

Some things that might help the advice be better about your mystery LS...

What year is it?
Is it a V6 or V8 (skip if the year is 2006)?
Is is auto or manual (skip if V8 or if year is 2003 or higher)?

Sorry Its a 2000,,v8,,automatic..

also it jerks a little stoped with it in drive more so when it is wormed up..it just started doing that a couple weeks ago..
and my MPG has droped from 18 to 16.8 in the last couple of months..I drive it pretty nice considering its broke and im not trying to brake it more..thank you..

How many miles? (Coils are covered by warranty under 100,000 miles).

Don't really know, I thought 2006 was excluded. I am sure someone will clarify, again... as it was just in an ealier post...
Here's something from joegr earlier (the bulletin mentions 2003-2005, I also thought 2000-2002 was covered... maybe by another bulletin):

Max has the OEM coils for around $50. It is best to just replace all of them. If your 2003 has less than 100K miles, then take it to a Ford/Lincoln dealer with a copy of the attached letter. They will find and replace the marginal coils at no charge, however, if none of the coils are marginal you will be charged the standard diagnostic fee ($100 to $200).

http://www.allstatetrucks.com/Recalls/cust satisfaction recalls/07m07/R07M07 dealer bulletin.pdf

Don't really know, I thought 2006 was excluded. I am sure someone will clarify, again... as it was just in an ealier post...
Here's something from joegr earlier (the bulletin mentions 2003-2005, I also thought 2000-2002 was covered... maybe by another bulletin):

AFAIK, there is no coverage for 2000 to 2002. There is also no coverage for the V6 of any year.

The coils are easy to change on the V8. I recommend changing all coils and spark plugs as the first step. The valve cover gaskets will need to be changed if oil is found in any of the plug wells.

Its got 113k..thank you all for the help..i will change all coilpacks with in the next 2 weeks and i will post back on how its doing...thanks again for the help...

My '06 did the same thing at 47k miles. I had my mech. change ALL COPs AND plugs. Now it purrs like a kitten and has GREAT power. He checked my VCGs and they were fine.

If there is oil in the plug wells when you pull the spark plugs you need to change your VGC's too. Maybe adds another half hour to each side. You should find the info on the VGC replacement in the tech articles.

I have the same symptom when stopped, car seems to want to keep moving when warmed up and stopped at a stop light, little jerks that come and go. Haven't pulled a code on 04 V8 just a skosche under 100k.

I did NOT have a CEL even though my car got to the point where it would stumble at the least amount of throttle.

I did NOT have a CEL even though my car got to the point where it would stumble at the least amount of throttle.

it does seem that when the problem first starts, the time you can notice it the most is when your just barely accelerating. it seem to stumble/shudder the most. usually if your accelerating medium to hard it doesnt seem to be as bad (at first)

From reading I hear that you can mess your cats up if you drive with the misfires/faulty coils.

this actually happened to me just recently, i was driving to work and when i got a couple of miles from there it started missing, and got bad very quick (less than a half a mile). the CEL never came on steady or flashing, as i pulled into my parking lot i gave it a hard pedal press to see if i could get it to kick a code so i would know which side of the motor to start looking at and instantly the CEL started flashing and the car went in to fail safe mode, so i coasted in to my parking spot. then after i shut it off i could get it to start again but it would just die in seconds because the cats were completely clogged. not fun, i'll tell you that

Members online

No members online now.
Back