Engine Shake

Fuzzy29

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, So I was driving today and I came to a stop and my engine started shaking pretty good, i looked at my dash and no lights came on and didn't really see the RPM needle bouncing but it was shaking pretty good then I started going and and it seemed fine then id come to a stop n then it would be alright and it was kind of on and off. My fuel lever was saying 49 miles to empty so I fueled up and had to stop a few times on the way home and it didn't shake or anything those times, so I was wondering what the possibilities were on this one to cause that, tune-up? vacuum leak? maybe it was my fuel level low? Any suggestions?

i cant remember exactly, but i think my would do that when my fuel sender was going out, but i think it was only when it started. agreed tho, dont worry about it unless it happens again.

Mine shook, then it ran ok. Did that again, then it got more frequent. Had to replace a coil.

The key here, I think, is low fuel. If the fuel was suspect, or a piece of contamination got in the line, the engine would stumble as the contaminated fuel went in the chamber. All would be well once the foreign object was burned (or sent out of the tailpipe) or the substandard fuel was "diluted" with better fuel. Where did you purchase the fuel? A major branded station or an independent?

If it doesn't happen again I would suspect the fuel. If it does, you will need to look elsewhere. Depending on mileage/age the coils would be a good place to start.

Hey Guys, So I was driving today and I came to a stop and my engine started shaking pretty good, i looked at my dash and no lights came on and didn't really see the RPM needle bouncing but it was shaking pretty good then I started going and and it seemed fine then id come to a stop n then it would be alright and it was kind of on and off. My fuel lever was saying 49 miles to empty so I fueled up and had to stop a few times on the way home and it didn't shake or anything those times, so I was wondering what the possibilities were on this one to cause that, tune-up? vacuum leak? maybe it was my fuel level low? Any suggestions?

When it was shaking, what was the RPM indicated? If it was less than 750 RPM and you have a gen I (2000-2002), then it might be your IAC starting to stick.

if it also shakes under easy acceleration under 50mph but doesn't shake when you accelerate harder then id say coil on the way out.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Yeah i drove it to work today and dint have a problem so it might have been the gas but time will tell i guess. If it does it again ill see what i can do about it. And i usually get my gas at a marathon, or a meijer , or a known place not a independant place, dont really shop for better price.

When it was shaking, what was the RPM indicated? If it was less than 750 RPM and you have a gen I (2000-2002), then it might be your IAC starting to stick.

Its a 2003 and the rpm was a lil below 1000 prolly 700-900 not really sure.

Its a 2003 and the rpm was a lil below 1000 prolly 700-900 not really sure.

Okay, then you don't have an IAC anyway. The two suggestions that you have been given (bad gas or bad coils) are still the most likely.

Okay, then you don't have an IAC anyway. The two suggestions that you have been given (bad gas or bad coils) are still the most likely.
How Much are coils usually? Like do you need to replace em all or what?

How many miles does your car have?

Aren't coils under warranty if the car is under 100,000 miles? (You might have to wait for it to fail more so the dealer can identify the problem). Someone more knowledgeable will chime in here shortly I am sure about the warranty etc.

Coils are a common issue and there was a recent thread with prices, so you should be able to find it with the search function.

If I recall correctly, off brand on ebay for full set around $100 (search LVC for the ebay brand people are happy with).
Dealership $75 each
Motorcraft bought somewhere else $45-$55 each?

You'll have to search to be sure, unless someone else chimes in...

(I had the shake problem and only had coil#7 replaced. It's been fine since).

How Much are coils usually? Like do you need to replace em all or what?

Max has the OEM coils for around $50. It is best to just replace all of them. If your 2003 has less than 100K miles, then take it to a Ford/Lincoln dealer with a copy of the attached letter. They will find and replace the marginal coils at no charge, however, if none of the coils are marginal you will be charged the standard diagnostic fee ($100 to $200).

http://www.allstatetrucks.com/Recalls/cust satisfaction recalls/07m07/R07M07 dealer bulletin.pdf

Reviving this old thread simply because I've had this exact problem on several occasions.

Conditions:
1. Event is upon ignition
2. Engine is already warm
3. Car parked on an incline or decline
4. Fuel gauge reads no more than 1/4 tank

Symptoms:
1. Slowly struggles to get complete combustion
2. Shaking of the engine/car during startup and after
3. RPMs bounce around 1k

I took the car to the dealership the day it happened and they couldn't find anything. It has happened two times since then (2 months time).

It's really rainy here. I tried using heet. Who knows if it's moisture or if the heet helped.

It's possible that moisture or sediment could have collected in the tank... and when running close to empty,,, that some of the water or sediment could have been sucked into the fuel system.

Might not hurt to change the fuel filter,,, and observe the condition/color of the fuel that comes out of the filter.

Members online

No members online now.
Back