My AIR/OIL separator install on 1996 Mark

opalescent 96

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a picture of an oil separator on a Gen I so I thought I should share in case someone else is thinking about doing the same thing.

I went with the small Jegs air/oil separator just because there is very little space to work with. I would have preferred a jar with more capacity so as not to empty it as much but I didn't think it would fit. The Jegs piece fits in there nicely and I mounted it as high as possible to make it easier to service. I drilled holes in the strut cover and used nuts and bolts to secure it. I had to buy the 90* 3/8 barbed fittings from Jegs at an additional $10. I used maybe just over a foot of hose.

I've only driven about 25 miles since installing it and I already see some oil... I'll report back once I accumulate more mileage on the regularity of oil dumps required.

Isaiah

photo2_zps122939ef.jpg

photo3_zpsc21bcce7.jpg

photo4_zps33944ee6.jpg

photo1_zpsc4d58cb1.jpg

I have been thinking about doing a catch can install on mine. I guess it is just one of those things I have just haven't gotten around to yet.

Any update on this? I'm really interested in installing something like this myself. I'm just over 200k now, I want to try and keep things clean in there if possible.

Also, can you give a little more insight on how exactly to install it? I see the hose from the PCV to the separator, but where does the other hose go? Sizes of the hoses you used?

I was looking at this, just as a cheap first run at it: http://www.harborfreight.com/oilwater-separator-68246.html

I haven't driven a lot of miles with the car since I installed this. I've been working from home and making a lot of short trips. It definitely fills up with oil. Driller on Lincolnsofdistinction.net mentioned he had one and it would stop filling at about a 1/3 of the way up the jar. This might be the case but I haven't let it be long enough with out dumping it. So far it seems like every 2 fill ups is time to empty or at least check the amount of oil collected. If I made more long trips I believe the amount of oil collected would be less. The disappointment with this mod is how small the collection jar is and the amount of drains required.

It's just installed in-line between the pcv valve and pcv tube that goes to the back of the intake manifold. Stock there is just a 90* rubber elbow and I removed the 90* plastic elbow from the pcv valve. I used 3/8 hose.

Maybe someone can answer this: Is it a good idea to put some kind of check valve AFTER the separator since the pcv WAS the check valve in the system.

If I go to full throttle and the oil level is high in the jar would the suction from the intake want to suck the oil from the separator? I know there is no vacuum at full throttle but at full throttle there is suction and the pcv valve should be closed right? Maybe I'm over thinking this..

Great idea. I just installed the same thing on my 95 Mark VIII. Was surprised the amount it collected, not much ( I drive 130 miles round trip each day), but better than going down the intake.

Alright so, just to clarify everything. What exactly is needed for the project?

Oil/Air Separator, a few feet of hose and....anything else?

Do you just modify the PCV valve itself? Like, it's an "F" shape (top portion plugged) so do you just cut off the two prongs and fit the hose over the now straight piece of plastic? Then connect to hose to that and to the can? Other hose from the intake nipple to the can?

Thanks for clarifying. Might do that this weekend, so I want to make sure I know what I'm walking into.

Alright so, just to clarify everything. What exactly is needed for the project?

Oil/Air Separator, a few feet of hose and....anything else?

Do you just modify the PCV valve itself? Like, it's an "F" shape (top portion plugged) so do you just cut off the two prongs and fit the hose over the now straight piece of plastic? Then connect to hose to that and to the can? Other hose from the intake nipple to the can?

Thanks for clarifying. Might do that this weekend, so I want to make sure I know what I'm walking into.

Yeah 2 feet of hose. The top F shape pops off of the valve or you can leave it on doesn't matter. Yes you definitely want to leave the pcv in there. The separator is in series between the pcv valve and the intake.

Just took this thing off because i need a smog check. Don't know if it would be a problem but I just don't want to hear it. I'm putting it back on as soon as I pass the test. I put the engine hat back on too so it looks all unmolested and stock.

Yeah 2 feet of hose. The top F shape pops off of the valve or you can leave it on doesn't matter. Yes you definitely want to leave the pcv in there. The separator is in series between the pcv valve and the intake.

Ohhh, did not realize that popped off. Awesome, makes sense. Seems super easy, thanks for all your help.

What's your opinion on that cheap harbor freight separator? It's not fancy but I assume it'll do the job.

Edit- bad thing it seems with the cheap one is I'd have to buy two brass nipples and one hose goes up top and one on the bottom. Might look a bit weird.

No problem, happy to help!

My opinion is it looks really small and the oil collected would be very close to the filter increasing the chances that it'll get sucked through especially if you mount it on it's side.

You notice my separator is mounted vertically and the oil collected is at the very bottom so the weight of the oil helps to keep it in the jar. At some point according to Driller as the jar fills up the oil will start to get sucked through again. I'm not sure what point that is but the bigger the jar the more effective the separating will be for a longer amount of time

The first home depot one looks close except for the 1/4" part. Needs to be 3/8. The other two might be too big, not much room to work with on a gen 1. I have seen people use home depot separators before on the internet so there has to be one that will work. Oh I've seen some cheap ones on ebay too..

Members online

No members online now.
Back