My 97 exhaust clip and the Free Candy Van

bobotech

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So how many kids ya round up with that thing? What ya do with them after you capture them? :lol:

So whats the story behind your van? I mad a couple demotivational posters from it, never thought I would meet the owner though! :lol:

You, sir, are a true internet legend. Well, you're a bit behind the scenes (probably a good thing, considering the subject matter,) but your van is a true internet legend. I salute you.

cant even believe that is your van....lol

The whole story behind it was back in 2004, my 16 year old kid was using that van to go to school and back. Horrible van but reliable as heck. Nasty inside and nasty outside. The roof is gray because the university that owned it before my buddy who gave it to me painted it with a waterproof paint but it didn't work, still leaked. The van was rolled back when the university owned it so they tried to seal up the leaks caused by the roll. The side of the van which says Free Candy was actually sheet metal that was screwed into the side of it to cover the broken windows. They then painted it sort of.

So back in 2004 my kid was using it as his daily driver. One day, some kids vandalized it by painting the Free Candy on the side of it. Well he left it like that since it was so funny to drive. I then took a bunch of pictures of it at night at our old house and posted it to a forum that still has the thread but its a closed forum now so you have to register to see the thread. (tivocommunity forum). The legend was born after someone posted the link to the forum which was open at the time to College Humor. The rest is history.

That is the story of the van. Stupid thing still runs great after all these years. I just can't get rid of it because its so famous.

Oh yeah, the current free candy writing is not the original writing but was redone over the barely visible original markings from 2004.

Good story, lol i would like to see the inside of the candy van

Good story, lol i would like to see the inside of the candy van

I will take some pics tomorrow.

Its pretty nasty in there. Not filthy so much, just everything is tore up or plain sheet metal.

A VW bug interior is luxurious by comparison (classic bugs).

Members online

Back