more info on my prob

viiiball

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
well i am truly thinking fuel pump but maybe my cats are getting clogged, low end is not up to snuff and i got a chip, but i also got a cone type filter with little hot air under hood protection, i have hesitation on acceleration esp when getting on it ,i am going to route the filter into the factory hole with pvc pipe and mount the filter on top of where the compressor used to be(I have a coil over set up) anyway that should get a cold air type thing going, any more ideas on off the line and hesitation, fuel pump is in the works next and and new diff bushings and addco swaybar for rear, fact one is broke.and fuel regulator,anyway want that off the line power back again help me out gurus of the mod!

i had an iroc that ran like crap when the cat got clogged, so thats why i think it could be that plus the egg smell, no fear i am talking with some muffler shops about welding in an x pipe and removing the cats and replacing the o2 sensors all for a set pkg price, also going to have em install genos fuel pump when i get it ordered, going to NMRA this weekend so i may not be checking for a while but please post all replies, you guys are great !!!!!! :give :Beer :feed :N :steering :L

viiiball said:
well i am truly thinking fuel pump but maybe my cats are getting clogged, low end is not up to snuff and i got a chip, but i also got a cone type filter with little hot air under hood protection, i have hesitation on acceleration esp when getting on it ,i am going to route the filter into the factory hole with pvc pipe and mount the filter on top of where the compressor used to be(I have a coil over set up) anyway that should get a cold air type thing going, any more ideas on off the line and hesitation, fuel pump is in the works next and and new diff bushings and addco swaybar for rear, fact one is broke.and fuel regulator,anyway want that off the line power back again help me out gurus of the mod!

what!? no ideas at all?.....I have got it down to cam sensor, fuel pump, hot engine air getting in, or clogged cats, whaata you think? which one? thanks guys :feed :Beer

viiiball said:
i had an iroc that ran like crap when the cat got clogged, so thats why i think it could be that plus the egg smell, no fear i am talking with some muffler shops about welding in an x pipe and removing the cats and replacing the o2 sensors all for a set pkg price, also going to have em install genos fuel pump when i get it ordered, going to NMRA this weekend so i may not be checking for a while but please post all replies, you guys are great !!!!!! :give :Beer :feed :N :steering :L

viiiball said:
what!? no ideas at all?.....I have got it down to cam sensor, fuel pump, hot engine air getting in, or clogged cats, whaata you think? which one? thanks guys :feed :Beer

Ixnay on the cam sensor, it is good or not good.

Hot air sucks for performance. Period. Especially on cars like ours where 4500 rpm is max torque.

Usually clogged cats can be felt as a lag at 3000 rpm plus since that is where the IMRCs open and more air is going into the engine and subsequently, mopre air needs to crowd out. You can also detect it as low vacuum with a vacuum gauge.

Fuel filter? The only way to test the fuel system(filter, pump, etc...) is under load at WOT with a fuel gauge.

bad news car idles bad and sounds funny i can here a muffled rpm when letting off gas, also cats get HOT, and got c/e light also got home turned off let sit turned key ran fine then when accerateing lound from engine black smoke and a backfire what could it be this all happened when i left work tonight after the starting thing happened again, help me out please!!!!!!

driller said:
Ixnay on the cam sensor, it is good or not good.

Hot air sucks for performance. Period. Especially on cars like ours where 4500 rpm is max torque.

Usually clogged cats can be felt as a lag at 3000 rpm plus since that is where the IMRCs open and more air is going into the engine and subsequently, mopre air needs to crowd out. You can also detect it as low vacuum with a vacuum gauge.

Fuel filter? The only way to test the fuel system(filter, pump, etc...) is under load at WOT with a fuel gauge.

viiiball said:
bad news car idles bad and sounds funny i can here a muffled rpm when letting off gas, also cats get HOT, and got c/e light also got home turned off let sit turned key ran fine then when accerateing lound from engine black smoke and a backfire what could it be this all happened when i left work tonight after the starting thing happened again, help me out please!!!!!!

If you suspect the cats, get a vacuum gauge.

From the manual:

VACUUM TEST

Attach vacuum gauge to intake manifold vacuum source.

Hook up tachometer.

Observe the vacuum gauge needle while performing the following:

-- Start engine and gradually increase the engine rpm to 2000 with the transmission in NEUTRAL.

NOTE:
The vacuum gauge reading may be normal when the engine is first started and idled. However, excessive restriction in the exhaust system will cause the vacuum gauge needle to drop to a low point even while the engine is idled.

Decrease engine speed to base idle rpm.

Did manifold vacuum reach above 16 inches of mercury with the engine rpm at 2000?

Yes
No restriction in the exhaust system.

With the CEL - pull the codes!

This may be a dumb thought but don't the cats get hot anyway???? :rolleyes:

driller said:
If you suspect the cats, get a vacuum gauge.

From the manual:

VACUUM TEST

Attach vacuum gauge to intake manifold vacuum source.

Hook up tachometer.

Observe the vacuum gauge needle while performing the following:

-- Start engine and gradually increase the engine rpm to 2000 with the transmission in NEUTRAL.

NOTE:
The vacuum gauge reading may be normal when the engine is first started and idled. However, excessive restriction in the exhaust system will cause the vacuum gauge needle to drop to a low point even while the engine is idled.

Decrease engine speed to base idle rpm.

Did manifold vacuum reach above 16 inches of mercury with the engine rpm at 2000?

Yes
No restriction in the exhaust system.

With the CEL - pull the codes!

I actually wound up melting my cats. All 3 of them. It happened quickly too. I was running fine one moment. Noticed some power loss and lack of acceleration. The rpms would hit about 2k and sink to about 300, then she just shut off. I started her back up and she idled well but when I gave her the slightest nudge....power would dip and she'd just start sputtering and shut off. When all was said and done, the dealer wanted 4k for the parts. I got a local shop to install remanufactured parts for $1800. It wasn't covered at all by my extended warranty because when the dealer ran diags on the engine all the sensors came back clean and exhaust wasnt covered unless in could be shown that something in the engine components caused the problem. never did figure out what went wrong.

i definitly think its the cats or at least one of em.....i am still going to replace the fuel pump though!....Like the above post I am getting the same symptoms, also i started it and just to check i went behind the car and put my hand infront of the exhaust tail pipes...first drivers side.....flowed like normal.....then...pass side....sputtering,which brings me to believe that the pass sisde cat is clogged or part clogged,,,i am going to try to gut em this weekend....i am going to put up a post to ask how to again....driller i am going to PM you i got a couple questions for you....thanks all! :give

mindcrime1223 said:
I actually wound up melting my cats. All 3 of them. It happened quickly too. I was running fine one moment. Noticed some power loss and lack of acceleration. The rpms would hit about 2k and sink to about 300, then she just shut off. I started her back up and she idled well but when I gave her the slightest nudge....power would dip and she'd just start sputtering and shut off. When all was said and done, the dealer wanted 4k for the parts. I got a local shop to install remanufactured parts for $1800. It wasn't covered at all by my extended warranty because when the dealer ran diags on the engine all the sensors came back clean and exhaust wasnt covered unless in could be shown that something in the engine components caused the problem. never did figure out what went wrong.

viiiBall
Try this ...Remove your chip , clean the contacts and replace,, I think ,it sounds like your problem came on, too fast for clogged cats , could be fuel pump , but the black smoke and soot makes me believe dirty contacts on the added chip ... If you installed the chip follow the instructions that came with the chip for installation..If you need any more help ask , many guys here have installed them..It cost nothing and can be done in an hour , worth the check, have seen this problem in the past...
If you dont have anything bypassed , you can remove the chip and run for a day or two to see if problem goes away .... If the chip is the problem you may have to change spark plugs , or "blow them out " to clean them to get the car to run right..do the above if the chip is the problem..

Last edited:
One thing that can cause the cats to go fast is if your O2s are bad.They can add unneeded fuel.The fuel winds up burning IN the cat and clogging it up pretty fast.
While your there gutting the cats its wise to change the O2s also.

here is another thing i have the egg smell, even before this prob, esp after getting off the highway, so i think o2 and gut will work, i will get the chip out again and clean the contacts and see, but doesn't the sputter out of the one tailpipe signal a cat prob? Jeff

unstoppable said:
One thing that can cause the cats to go fast is if your O2s are bad.They can add unneeded fuel.The fuel winds up burning IN the cat and clogging it up pretty fast.
While your there gutting the cats its wise to change the O2s also.

one of the things that can happen with dirty connections on chip , is that due to improper mixture control you can foul plugs ,not always all the plugs, a plug or two on one bank can cause the one side symptoms you are having ...improper mixture control can give you rotten egg smell , black smoke etc.. I am not saying this is the answer to your problem , just an additional thing to check ..only when its fixed will we know what the problem was..Its very hard to do diagnostics without hearing , seeing , and driving the car , and all have an opinion ...its is still up to you to extract what you think is pertinent and go through the motions of repair..Drillers ,vacuum guage ,is a great test for plugged cats , and as also the chip cleaning , doesnt cost anything but time .

i got the chip out and am going to check my plugs, can you clean dirty plugs? and re use they only a year old or so...autolite coppers :give

Topcat said:
one of the things that can happen with dirty connections on chip , is that due to improper mixture control you can foul plugs ,not always all the plugs, a plug or two on one bank can cause the one side symptoms you are having ...improper mixture control can give you rotten egg smell , black smoke etc.. I am not saying this is the answer to your problem , just an additional thing to check ..only when its fixed will we know what the problem was..Its very hard to do diagnostics without hearing , seeing , and driving the car , and all have an opinion ...its is still up to you to extract what you think is pertinent and go through the motions of repair..Drillers ,vacuum guage ,is a great test for plugged cats , and as also the chip cleaning , doesnt cost anything but time .

I would change them , they are cheap enough , after the car is running again , you could try and clean them and reuse them....sometimes they are fouled beyond use, and why introduce bad plug variable, back into the picture...

well got the chip out and re installed without the chip, car is still doing the same thing, rough idle, backfire on acceleration,heavy fuel smell, so i am convinced it may have not been the chip,now going to plugs....what should i look for on the plugs, going to get a new set tommorrow can i use lightning plugs? :Bang

Topcat said:
I would change them , they are cheap enough , after the car is running again , you could try and clean them and reuse them....sometimes they are fouled beyond use, and why introduce bad plug variable, back into the picture...

I don't know lightning plugs , but for test I would run stock plugs ,Autolites ?,nothing fancy , I think I bought Bosch Platinums for $24.00 recently...PLugs are probably wet with fuel and black , Plugged cats can make them covered with fine black powder and dry...clean running plugs are a light tan and dry, no deposits..yours will not look that way...If you have only a couple fouled and car still has problem then you might look at ignition wires and or coils...Plugged cats will foul all plugs at least on one side..

i was way off i think....afteer talking to a couple guys , i am about 99% sure its the cam sensor, long ignition, looking which piston to fire?...black smoke backfiring sounds like its outta time, so i am going to replace the cam sensor tommorrow

Topcat said:
I don't know lightning plugs , but for test I would run stock plugs ,Autolites ?,nothing fancy , I think I bought Bosch Platinums for $24.00 recently...PLugs are probably wet with fuel and black , Plugged cats can make them covered with fine black powder and dry...clean running plugs are a light tan and dry, no deposits..yours will not look that way...If you have only a couple fouled and car still has problem then you might look at ignition wires and or coils...Plugged cats will foul all plugs at least on one side..

I stick by the cats and O2s.
O2s went bad and the computer didnt know the exact tune of the engine.It went rich and clogged the cats.
Gut them and install new O2s and watch the smile on your face as you accelerate!

still working on the gut but i need o2 sensors too!

unstoppable said:
I stick by the cats and O2s.
O2s went bad and the computer didnt know the exact tune of the engine.It went rich and clogged the cats.
Gut them and install new O2s and watch the smile on your face as you accelerate!

I haven't got em out yet....as I am a garage mechanic starting out I don't have all the damn things i need to do some things what size socket will i need for plugs? and tools i am borrowing em as i need em and i'd like to get them all at oncewhen i go over to my uncles.BTW i am going to post an update in another thread some people quit checking old threads so i start a new one. thanks again guys!!! :Bang :L

You dont need to keep making new posts about the same topic.The guys here that have been helping you know how to use the "New posts" feature and will continue helping you untill you get the problem solved.
Cool??

Members online

No members online now.
Back