Merry F'n Christmas to me/ F Goodyear!

2002WRXSTi

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So on way home from Metuchen NJ which is around 18 or 20 miles from my house for a X-mas eve family function. In sleet going down 287 and something isn't feeling quite right :confused:

Pull through Somerville and something starts making ugly sounds so I pull over after crossing into Raritan to see this...

It was flat when I pulled over on the road to look at it. The bead popped when I pulled into a gas closed gas station to change it out to one of the Cobra-R rims that had front tires on em.

What ever way you wanna look at it the last thing I wanted to be doing at 12am Christmas morning would be changing a flat in the sleeting rain :eek2:

But your a pro and had it changed in minutes. And no one was hurt. Still stinks though. LOL

But your a pro and had it changed in minutes. And no one was hurt. Still stinks though. LOL

At least I had 2 spare fronts in the trunk. Something like this happened with my '96 but I had big n littles on it so I wound up having to swap the front to the back to keep my Posi from having a fit.

That was real fun with the stupid lil factory jack :rolleyes:

At least I had 2 spare fronts in the trunk. Something like this happened with my '96 but I had big n littles on it so I wound up having to swap the front to the back to keep my Posi from having a fit.

That was real fun with the stupid lil factory jack :rolleyes:

I like those little factory scissor jacks; I've used them so much in the past they're pretty easy to work with IMHO. :shifty:

Better than those old-school bumper jacks - I always thought those sucked big time....

I like those little factory scissor jacks; I've used them so much in the past they're pretty easy to work with IMHO. :shifty:

Better than those old-school bumper jacks - I always thought those sucked big time....

True but at the same time I would rather use my low clearance quick pump jack at home if at all possible. Then I would have had my rechargeable impact gun too so it would have been an even faster job!

a goodyear huh?
was always a fan of BFGoodrich myself.
nice that you were rolling with spares and tools though.

all the wheels i have that fit my car are on my car. i need to get some spares..

True but at the same time I would rather use my low clearance quick pump jack at home if at all possible. Then I would have had my rechargeable impact gun too so it would have been an even faster job!

Lol. Yeh, I bought a floor jack and had it in the trunk for a couple of weeks. I helped a couple ppl with flats and it's handy, but heavy to move around. No portable impact (although my cousin has one).

a goodyear huh?

all the wheels i have that fit my car are on my car. i need to get some spares..

Guy that sold me the rims in a PepBoys parking lot had 2 with tires and the 9" rears just rims. So I had the fronts in my trunk cause I was going to have them dismounted so I could have all the rims sand blasted and Powder Coated. Then I got laid off so put it in the back of my mind however luckily I left em in the trunk :D

I just hit the guy up who sold them to me on FB and said get me some back tires for those rims cause 7" rims look pretty weak out back :(

they are a staggered set then?
7 front and 9 rear?

you need some 275s for the backs bro!

245/45-17 and 275/40-17 is a good matched set for front and rear. common sizes.

275/45 would be the stock ride height, but i've never seen that size for sale..

they are a staggered set then?
7 front and 9 rear?

you need some 275s for the backs bro!

245/45-17 and 275/40-17 is a good matched set for front and rear. common sizes.

275/45 would be the stock ride height, but i've never seen that size for sale..

Yup and the fronts have a FOMOCO part number on em too. Did find these 2 GoodYear F1's in 275/40-17 $375 for both used 9/32 tread left but shipping is more then I wanna pay.

GS-D3s!

that's about half price on those. pretty good tires. its a good deal, but they still cost a pretty penny. and shipping them isn't fun either.

a goodyear huh?

BF Goodrich for me too. Been rolling on mine for a while now and they have a 70,000 mile warranty on them. They'll dry rot before I ever wear them out but I take care of them so, I shouldn't see any dry rot.

God's good!!! Thank goodness you are ok and didn't have that thing fly off - He was watching over you tight tonight!

Whatcha wanna bet first thing outta Goodyears mouth is "well your platings is peeling and hard to keep a bead" - a tire place pulled that on me once, now when ever I get tires, I ask them to let me see each wheel (hey - how often do you get to see them, it's not like I can do that at home!) and have them annotate on the receipt the condition of each wheel. Like I said, a tire place tried that ONCE...

Let us know what they say

God's good!!! Thank goodness you are ok and didn't have that thing fly off - He was watching over you tight tonight!

Whatcha wanna bet first thing outta Goodyears mouth is "well your platings is peeling and hard to keep a bead" - a tire place pulled that on me once, now when ever I get tires, I ask them to let me see each wheel (hey - how often do you get to see them, it's not like I can do that at home!) and have them annotate on the receipt the condition of each wheel. Like I said, a tire place tried that ONCE...

Let us know what they say

Yeah problem is I don't like to let people work on my cars. Only thing I will let be done is alignment as I do not have the equipment to do it. These tires came on the car when I bought it, they held air all summer then the cold came and they loose air :shifty:

I will hit up my friends shop to use his no touch tire machine and scope it all on my own.

Worst thing I'm looking at now is with the Cobra-R rims on my car my brakes look so freaking Honda :eek:

So small on a 17" rim, I mean my WRK has 14.75" binders on the front and 13" on the back.
CIMG7984.jpg

Time to find some big rotors and do some machine work to make em fit the Mark :gr_devil:

I keep a small craftsman floor jack in the trunk just in case, But I also drive a town car, so I guess even a regular floor jack wouldn't take up too much room...

I keep a small craftsman floor jack in the trunk just in case, But I also drive a town car, so I guess even a regular floor jack wouldn't take up too much room...

Somehow I got lucky enough to have 2 front rims and tires in my trunk at the time. Part that sucks is I didn't have my rechargeable impact gun with me. I used to be able to change a flat in record time ;)

A jack, impact gun and a guy to jump out with both in hand and change tire, wipe windshield, check oil and filler her up, then jump back in...a TC's trunk is big enough to be a trunk greese monkey apartment lol

Looks like CRAP!

So I look out my door this afternoon and I gotta say it looks like absolute crap! Not sure if it's the small front size, chipped flat black pain or just that it is 2 different style rims?

I don't understand why people do that. Wouldn't you want the same tire height at all four corners or at least within a close margin :confused:

Wasn't a choice as more of what was available at the time. Stock fronts and tall tires on the rear but had a Trac-Loc so I have to take the same diameter fronts to the back. I actually had a spare at that time but wasn't gonna try to do that on the back.

Wasn't a choice as more of what was available at the time. Stock fronts and tall tires on the rear but had a Trac-Loc so I have to take the same diameter fronts to the back. I actually had a spare at that time but wasn't gonna try to do that on the back.

Yeah, totally agree there. Definitely match the diameters on the back. I guess I was always under the assumption that the traction control on our cars gets temperamental when different tire heights are used on the front compared to the back when beyond a certain percentage, apart from the whole issue with mismatched tires on the back of a RWD car.

If the tire height of your spare matches the height of all 4 tires you are running, it doesn't matter where you put the spare for temporary use. I have found that a full size spare works well in this case. My current spare tire is an old drag radial. Kind of stupid LOL, but I can put it on any corner of the car if I get a flat and the tire height is only off by 2 tenths of an inch. It'll look wacky as hell on the way to the tires shop but it'll get the job done and I don't have to mess around with swapping tires around. :)

Now IF that 2 tenths of an inch between both rear tire heights is enough to mess up my differential if it happens to be a rear tire that goes flat, I will surely change my ways! I guess I haven't had the chance to test out that theory but I would imagine it would have to be more significant than that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back