Mechanic told me $900 for fuel pump job

Most 99% of shops don't want you to bring in your own parts, me included so can understand that. I always ask people do you bring your own steak to a restaurant and ask them to cook it for you? LOL :D
Funny you say that. I was at some seafood place this weekend and on the menu they had BYOF (bring your own fish) and they would fry it or broil it or whatever. Just bring them a cleaned fish. :lol:

I replaced the fuel pump on my old '96 prolly 5 or 6 years ago with a used gen1 pump that I bought on ebay for $25 bucks. Took me a couple of hours to do the install (with a FULL tank of gas!) and never had another problem. The local Ford stealership quoted me $657 bucks for a new pump assembly (wouldn't sell the pump by itself and I didn't bother to ask for a labor quote). Advance and AutoZone were over $500 for a new Mark VIII pump. If I ever have to put one in the '97, I'll prolly go with the Focus pump everybody's talking about.

DO NOT DROP THE EXHAUST!

LOL

Come on guys, been over this before. No one remembers? There is no need to drop the exhaust. I replaced my pump TWICE without doing it. The second time because the small gas line between the pump and feed line ruptured. Do not get a sharp bend in it!

A Walbro 255 is the pump I went with. I should have kept the slightly used on but tossed it :( Anyway, if you drop the passenger strap the tank will fall enough. I think I just loosened the driver's side to let the tank move. It will come down enough to replace the pump. I used a jack to support the tank. One the strap on the passenger side was off, I used the jack to lower it enough to disconnect the lines, harness. Then lowered it more to tap out the retaining ring and finally remove the pump. Its kind goofy getting it out since the float arm is awkward.

the quote is not too far off, I had my fuel pump on my fox mustang replaced at my fathers shop once and it cost just over $500(he just worked there).....

We always assume a shop is ripping off, but if you ask to see the labor rate manual, I'll bet anything it was an honest quote straight from the labor manual on how many hours it is supposed to take to repair.

the quote is not too far off, I had my fuel pump on my fox mustang replaced at my fathers shop once and it cost just over $500(he just worked there).....

We always assume a shop is ripping off, but if you ask to see the labor rate manual, I'll bet anything it was an honest quote straight from the labor manual on how many hours it is supposed to take to repair.

This is true. I'll bet the manual calls for at least four hours labor, if not more. At $100 bucks an hour, that's $400 right there. Then factor in $500 for an Advance Auto fuel pump, and you've got the $900 bucks! It would be more if they got the pump straight from Ford!

I just finally looked this up on Mitchell-1. It flags 1.9 hours for a fuel pump replacement. Then I called Advance, I can get just the pump and screens for $118.02 or the complete float assembly for $334

Members online

No members online now.
Back