Mechanic told me $900 for fuel pump job

joeynat

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I almost shat at the counter ! My problem is I have to turn the key on and off before I start it in the morning or else one long crank before it catches. He did a pressure test and everything points to the pump.

I just read dozens of threads on "fuel pump", and it focuses always on gen 2's, then the thread turns into bickering match between members. Which is funny but not what i need.

So please...I want to just buy a good fuel pump off the net with no mods to anything.and will not leave behind 3 gallons in the tank. Give it to a different mechanic and say put this thing in.

Am I right on saying....
walbro for gen 1
Svt focus pump gen 2
And how bout ebay is delphi a good brand ?

Delphi makes a lot of OEM electronics for GM vehicles. I work in the service department at a local Chevy dealership and see their name all the time, especially on our AcDelco replacement fuel pumps. Yes, their sold under the AcDelco brand name, but are manufactured by Delphi.

You are right with your pump thoughts. Also its not a hard job. Save some coin and do it yourself. Hardest part of the job is dropping the exhaust.

I almost shat at the counter ! My problem is I have to turn the key on and off before I start it in the morning or else one long crank before it catches. He did a pressure test and everything points to the pump.

I just read dozens of threads on "fuel pump", and it focuses always on gen 2's, then the thread turns into bickering match between members. Which is funny but not what i need.

So please...I want to just buy a good fuel pump off the net with no mods to anything.and will not leave behind 3 gallons in the tank. Give it to a different mechanic and say put this thing in.

Am I right on saying....
walbro for gen 1
Svt focus pump gen 2
And how bout ebay is delphi a good brand ?

Hell, I'll do it for half that, and I'll even throw in the pump. :eek:

http://www.fuelpumps.com/19931996-l...-46l-v-efi-lincoln-s-f3ly9a407a-b-p-2252.html

Yeah, and where was I, laying on my back with your super tiny air compressor?

Once you quit playin around out in the sticks and we have an actual
Shop with an actual compressor what puts out air, you and I will have an R+R duel,
Motor swap to motor swap, until then, shut
Your face!

I'll do it for less than half, and that includes my airfare to New Jersey. It's right next to New Mexico in alphabetical order, but not that close in real life...

Yeah, and where was I, laying on my back with your super tiny air compressor?

Once you quit playin around out in the sticks and we have an actual
Shop with an actual compressor what puts out air, you and I will have an R+R duel,
Motor swap to motor swap, until then, shut
Your face!
What does any of that have to do with anything? Motor swap contest? Ill prolly be about an hour slower but mine will start and stay running many hours before yours would. :p

And you said half hour. You cant do it in a half hour. Even on a lift. Hour prolly.

Lets look at what is involved:
Drop the exhaust
Unstrap the tank
Release fuel lines
Remove fuel fill lines
Drop tank
Remove pump
then reverse all that. Its more than a half hour.

What does any of that have to do with anything? Motor swap contest? Ill prolly be about an hour slower but mine will start and stay running many hours before yours would. :p

not if you dont install the valve covers properly!

$900 dollars is a cheap quote. I was quoted $1400 and I turn around and told him watch my backside as I left his shop. I did it myself with the help here on this site. Brought a BBK. If you can do it yourself than save some money.

$900 dollars is a cheap quote. I was quoted $1400 and I turn around and told him watch my backside as I left his shop. I did it myself with the help here on this site. Brought a BBK. If you can do it yourself than save some money.

Man I would like to see that quote just to see how they wrote it up. :eek:

I was so in shock I didn't ask for one. Especially when he said that I couldn't bring in my own part and I would not hold him to anything if it failed. I was so mad I knew I was going to do it myself.

I was so in shock I didn't ask for one. Especially when he said that I couldn't bring in my own part and I would not hold him to anything if it failed. I was so mad I knew I was going to do it myself.

Most 99% of shops don't want you to bring in your own parts, me included so can understand that. I always ask people do you bring your own steak to a restaurant and ask them to cook it for you? LOL :D

Most 99% of shops don't want you to bring in your own parts, me included so can understand that. I always ask people do you bring your own steak to a restaurant and ask them to cook it for you? LOL :D

Yeah, but some shops with good mechanics use crap parts. Plus, many willnot install a part that is not listed as being for that specific car. Like putting a Focus pump in a Mark 8.

Yeah, but some shops with good mechanics use crap parts. Plus, many willnot install a part that is not listed as being for that specific car. Like putting a Focus pump in a Mark 8.

Yep true. I always give my customer the choice OEM (china junk)brand or Moog. Price will be different. I go by white box parts last like a year so if your selling car do that, if keeping go moog.

Here it is...

$107 diagnostic fee (they had to isolate the system to see where the problem was coming from the front or back? )

$450 for the pump (i dont know if it was just for the pump or whole unit)

The rest in labor charges

Here it is...

$107 diagnostic fee (they had to isolate the system to see where the problem was coming from the front or back? )

$450 for the pump (i dont know if it was just for the pump or whole unit)

The rest in labor charges

They are smoking rock.

Members online

No members online now.
Back