Mark8 suspension/performance

My buddy has one, I went for a ride not too long ago

I was amazed at how different his coil spring car, with new coil springs compared to my over 200,000 mile air springs.

His car would bounce and rebound going over expansion joints, so much that my head was bouncing like a bobble-head doll.

On braking the nose dived so much that his spoiler under the bumper cover has been almost ground away.

When he is in the car by himself, with me following the car leans to the side like that ship in the poseidon adventure.. just before it flipped over.

His car has less than 10,000 miles on his coils, and mine has OVER 200,000 on these air springs..
my car rides better than his.. hands down.

and..my car doesnt lean to the side like a ship about to capsize.
and.. my car doenst' bounce and rebound over expansion joints.

I have seen both sides of this debate and MYSELF.. I'd take my 200K sirsprings over coil springs.. any day.

My buddy asked me if I wanted to drive it.. I couldn't get past the crappy ride in the passenger seat.. I had NO desire to drive the car after that.
I have no idea what "kit" or even what the springs are off of on my 97, but it doesn't have any of the symptoms mentioned above. It sure as hell doesn't lean to the side like a lowrider either. I'm 265 lbs.

Well from what Ive read on here, it seems you can buy replacement air bags for $100 each, and get a total replacement set (including compressor and other necessary bits) for $650, versus $400 for a coil kit.

Given that, Ill keep the air ride if I can.
The problem is swapping all the stuff. Is it something I can do myself with basic tools and limited skills and time?

Redhot:
There are not any big problems to changing your air springs, just make sure you have some PB Blaster to soak the nut with and a 21mm deep well socket. Be sure you have new o rings and some di-electric grease for reinstalling your solenoids. Speaking of that, the new air springs utilize a shorter solenoid which is no problem.All you need to do is take a sharp knife and cut along the preforation of your old one as it hangs there. Throw away the marshmellow and cut off piece as they aren't needed. Remove your old o-rings and slip on the new ones, and lube up lightly and you should be good for reinstall.

Installing the compressor isn't complicated either, but it does pose some issues if you are a physically large person. I would also advise you to get a Spider valve so that you keep your system free from moisture so it will live a very long time. Here is where you may want to buy your stuff. They are an authorized seller for the Arnott Air Springs and Eddie rebuilds the used compressors that he takes in on trade. It's a great deal, and you have an experience tech to talk to.

http://www.americanairsuspension.com/cart/products.php?cat=3

I'm still thinking about a 97-98 mark... but some things caught my eye...

Someone made mention of things such a sub-frame connectors, cradle brace (similar to a K-member?) and rear shock tower support. Do these all actually exist for the Mark, or are they adaptations of mustang pieces... or fully custom fab parts?

On to other things suspension... when keeping the air-springs, is there a manual ride height adjust-ability (I feel it just rides a touch too high)? I've heard of the ASHAM, but it appears it does not work with, or fit the 97-98 models. Someone said Koni shocks for the rear? These actually exist? Also upgraded roll bars? The control arms... are these being replaced due to bushing wear or are they the integral ball-joint type and we're talking ball-joint wear? Also, anyone try poly suspension bushings?

And while I'm thinking about it, do mustang exhausts work on the Mark8's? I know cat-backs can be had made specifically for the mark, but what about X (or H)-pipes and headers?

Supercharger kits for the Cobra work with the Mark?

Brakes... Any big brake kits available?

And last question... which if anything like the LS community... gets periodically asked... Manual tranny swap? Anyone try it? Kits? (I'm assuming this to be an issue given the auto tranny used is most likely what... an AODE? Being electronic, the ECU may disagree with it missing?)

OH... btw... yeah yeah yeah... USE THE SEARCH FEATURE. Well, for the amount of things I'm looking for, I'd be searching all day. Much easier if I just ask it all in one location and some people throw some quick replies with websites and what they have available... and any needed info they desire to include. And this way, I get to add those websites to my new folder in my favorites entitled "Mark"!

Okay really... last question now. How scarce is the charcoal color option on the 97-98's? I search autotrader from time to time and almost NEVER see an LSC in charcoal. I know... why not get black? Well, because my LS is black and when I get my cobra (hopefully within the next year)... that will be black or charcoal to start, eventually getting a two tone... top/bottom split chip foose style black on top, charcoal on bottom.

Thanks again guys! (and gals)

ASHAM 8 will work with 97-98.

There are off the shelf upgraded swaybars available.

Mustang exhaust won't really work... As for headers you pretty much just have Kooks.

96-98 Cobra SC kits essentially work.

As for the manual, it's been done with a T45 and is being done with a T56, this question you do want to use the search.

I've seen about 3 charcoal VIIIs ever, and I've probably looked through 500 of them.

I mentioned the koni's. The rears from a Thunderbird work. I got mine from tirerack.

And last question... which if anything like the LS community... gets periodically asked... Manual tranny swap? Anyone try it? Kits? (I'm assuming this to be an issue given the auto tranny used is most likely what... an AODE? Being electronic, the ECU may disagree with it missing?)

NateRW21 I will give you this one its the only swap I have seen.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/577667/1

The rest of the questions have been asked a bizzzlion times your lucky frogman isnt around he would tear you a new a hole for being too lazy to use the search fuction it took me one simple search and under one min. to find the info on this swap.

NateRW21 I will give you this one its the only swap I have seen.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/577667/1

The rest of the questions have been asked a bizzzlion times your lucky frogman isnt around he would tear you a new a hole for being too lazy to use the search fuction it took me one simple search and under one min. to find the info on this swap.

Yeah... I know... been at this over a year; just new to the Mark VIII. And Frogman is a little girl... all disappearing on us. He's harmless. But again, I'm not asking for in-depth info... just some links to retailers. When/if I want the in-depth info, I'll start searching (lets be honest, I'm not going to dedicate THAT much time to it when I'm still unsure if I'll even get a Mark in the first place). ANYWAY.... Thanks for the link!

Let's face it. Some guys are just too cheap to own Marks (and quite frankly don't deserve to own them). You guys need to be driving Chevy Cobalts or something like that.

That funny.
I put $8,000 into my Mark VIII and I dont have the air ride.

That is kind of brutal... maybe he just likes a spring suspension better!

Yes, almost all show cars are bagged... but look at it this way...

Almost all sports cars and race cars run springs.

It's nothing more than two different solutions to the same problem; just because someone likes it one way, does not mean that's the best way for everyone.

Yeah, but you can't adjust the ride height on the fly with springs. :shifty:

IMG_0040.jpg

Yea and it's harder to adjust the rear springs for launches if they're solid.

That is kind of brutal... maybe he just likes a spring suspension better!

Dont settle for a "maybe he likes"..

ASK HIM/Glen/Stone 17 IF he likes his coilsprings.

last time I spoke with him about it, he said he wanted to go back to Air Ride.

You're kind of splitting hairs... my point was just that air ride isn't for everyone; some people like springs. Weather or not he is happy with his choice isn't my point.

Sorry I really wasn't trying to split hairs.

you'd said that maybe glen liked coil springs and I knew otherwise from words that came out of his mouth in person.

I really wasn't trying to argue..just clarifying a misconception.

Carry on.. stick springs in there, it aint my car.

P.S. I cannot say in all honesty if someone found me a set of 90/10's or 80/20's that I wouldn't put them under my car though.

BUT.. I a wouldn't put Tbird springs that were made for a lighter car and touted as a lowering kit {that just screams rice-capades, I'm sorry)

Nate, hopefully the car is a 98..
if for no other reason it has the updated mechanical one way diode.

And.. hell, if you can get one..
GO FOR IT.

I imagin you could rip out the air ride and get some one to put together a peformance orientated suspension under there...
I just think these "conversion kits" might not be the BE ALL END ALL.

As for the front ends, some prefer the more aggressive look of the 93-96's give one of those cars a walk around.

Grilles are pretty much non existant but one could be easily fabricated to fit IMHO.
The second gen grille has more funky curves than the first gen grille, but with some creativity and the right "donor grille" I dont see why it wouldn't be "too hard" to fab something up.

For the record, I owned a 1990 anni. edd. thunderbird super coupe. I had tons of options, self leveling shocks, sport/tour ride adjust on the fly(or automatic during aggressive driving) and super comfy suede trimmed leather seats with lumbar and lower back air adjusters. Auto on/off, self dimming, auto shade rear view,blah,:blah: ,blah. Oh yeah a super charger too.:D Not bad compared to the Mark. I'd relax on the whole air ride thing Monster. I loved my sc but I'm more excited to get into my MarkVIII. :facesjump :steering Can't we all just get along:invasion: Sorry,had to say that.

Nate, hopefully the car is a 98..
if for no other reason it has the updated mechanical one way diode.

And.. hell, if you can get one..
GO FOR IT.

I imagin you could rip out the air ride and get some one to put together a peformance orientated suspension under there...
I just think these "conversion kits" might not be the BE ALL END ALL.

As for the front ends, some prefer the more aggressive look of the 93-96's give one of those cars a walk around.

Grilles are pretty much non existant but one could be easily fabricated to fit IMHO.
The second gen grille has more funky curves than the first gen grille, but with some creativity and the right "donor grille" I dont see why it wouldn't be "too hard" to fab something up.

Personally, I think when I get my mark, I'll be torn between designing a very performance orentated suspension (we're not talking drag racing here...) and stiffening up the body... OR, just doing the sensor lower and trying to improve upon what the factory gives you. Either way, I think the mark is a gorgeous car (especially the gen II).

Before I catch any flak, the 90 sc had air shocks with adjustable firmness not leveling.:confused: I do miss the 40/60 split rear seat though.

Personally, I think when I get my mark, I'll be torn between designing a very performance orentated suspension (we're not talking drag racing here...) and stiffening up the body... OR, just doing the sensor lower and trying to improve upon what the factory gives you. Either way, I think the mark is a gorgeous car (especially the gen II).

This is just a totally personal decision on your part, based on what you intend to turn the car into.

IF you want the car to be true to form as designed by Ford, you have to do the airbags. They work very well for what the car was originally designed to be.

IF you want to turn the car into something different than what it was originally designed to be, it gets more particular and very personal. If you want a car that can really carve up a canyon of twisties, then you are going to have to do some serious work on the suspension. You will certainly have to go to the stiffer anti sway bars, such as Adco, but there may be others to consider. You may wish to go to a harder compound on the bushings. Urethane will be the best, but you will get some "mouse in your pocket" squeaks, so something one step down in hardness might be better if that is an issue to you. Lighter, wider wheels so you can put a bigger footprint tire down, with a stiffer and shorter sidewall block to keep the tire rollover minimized is also a consideration. That can also allow you to get a bigger brake rotor and caliper set up in there. See how that works and if it does enough to satisfy you. IF not......

Lowering the car on a coilover damper/spring set up, and adjusting the camber to slightly more negative will also be helpful for an aggressively capable vehicle. This is what I did to mine, and I like it a lot. But, most people would not want that on their Mark VIII. And they should not....if everybody out there was tossing their Mark into corners with throttle on oversteer and holding through the turn with countersteer on the wheel....I would never want to be on public streets again. And finally an lsd to get more power down in the turns. BUT.......she won't ride like the Lincoln she was when she left the factory. The noise, vibration and harshness associated with the stiffer sways, wider contact patch of the tires and shorter sidewall will all be translated into the driving experience every day. If you don't want to pay that compromise in experience, you really should not do it. The airbags are not a big problem, they really work well and they are a signature element to the engineering of the car.

Nice commentary posted by Eagle1.

I have the Jekyll and Hyde of Mark VIII's.

A '98 white (Jekyll) and a '98 black (Hyde).

COMPLETELY different cars.

White is mostly stock with exhaust. 225's on 16" OctaStars.
Black completely modded with sway bars, 245's on 18"s, Cobra brakes and everything in between.

If you go for handling, you give up Mr. Lincoln reclining chair.

If I want to relax, I take the white one.

If I want my teeth to rattle and have my nerves on edge, I drive the black one.

Get my drift? Exact same model. Different animals.

Wow.. Bryan you have a non-air ride Mark VIII LOL..

agree with Eagle 1...

I have all three set ups. Air Ride, Standard Coversion, 1.5 Lower Conversion. It all depends on what you want.

Wow.. Bryan you have a non-air ride Mark VIII LOL..

agree with Eagle 1...

I have all three set ups. Air Ride, Standard Coversion, 1.5 Lower Conversion. It all depends on what you want.

Actually Rich Bryans Monster still has air....

Members online

No members online now.
Back