Mark Viii vs Mustang

markviii96

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I just have a quick question. I have only ever driven one v8 car and that the 96 mark viii. I am looking at a 96 mustang gt 4.6L V8 FI SOHC 16V with a supercharger on it 5 speed manual. What will the comparison be with power wise. Thanks

Uhh lots of factors there..what supercharger, how much boost, any other mods done, gears? Chipped? Exhaust? Non PI junk heads and intake?..eitherway probably same result though, mustang will be faster..

That mustang if done properly would eat a mark :q:q:q:q it out and eat it again the puke it out and piss on it.

Those old mustangs are slow.

The cobras are a different story. But depends on how much boost it's running.

It is one of those Electric Super Chargers you can get on Ebay, good for 1 million horse power:D

I am unsure of what is done to it. It is at a dealer like 75-100 miles away. I saw it online and just wanted some input on it. It just says Supercharged, frame tied, BBK exhaust

Also I wasn't going to race the mustang vs the mark viii. That mark is dads and he babies it..... Even though I would if one pulled up next to me :D Just was hoping for a somewhat comparison of them.

No doubt the stang is probably faster..but a whole different kind of "fast" if you will..5 speed vs. Automatic, naturally aspirated over supercharged..and this all depends on if you are good at driving a stick car..even if the mark is slower id rather drive that than a supercharged 2v 4.6...especially a non PI 96-98 version..those motors barely made over 200 hp so if that is untouched even with a supercharger it ain't gonna be that fast..the way to do it is put PI heads on an older 4.6 short block to make better power with the combinaion of less dished pistons and smaller combusion chambers in the heads to bump up compression and in turn more power.

That Mark if done properly would eat a mustang, :q:q:q:q it out and eat it again then puke it out and piss on it.

Fixed that for you...

It all depends on what is done to the Mark. Granted, stock mark to modded mustang, yes it would probably be more likely the Mustang is faster, however... put those same mods on a Mark, and see where you stand. Its just like those guys that beat Corvettes in a Civic. Give the guy in the Corvette some of the money you put in the Civic and suddenly, the Civic isn't so fast anymore.

Thanks for the input guys. My 1st car when I was 16 was a 95 mustang with the little v6 that could :) with a 5 speed.....And I am decent at driving manual transmissions. I used to be able to take most cars off the line/ keep up with my v6, but would run out of power

Fixed that for you...

It all depends on what is done to the Mark. Granted, stock mark to modded mustang, yes it would probably be more likely the Mustang is faster, however... put those same mods on a Mark, and see where you stand. Its just like those guys that beat Corvettes in a Civic. Give the guy in the Corvette some of the money you put in the Civic and suddenly, the Civic isn't so fast anymore.

+1 Supercharged Lincoln Mark VIII Vs Shelby Cobra - YouTube

Definitions of "fast":

With Equal horsepower, the Mustang will beat a Mark VIII in the 1/4 mile... and that's the extent of it's winning.

Take them down the Texas Mile and the Mark will win.

Put some decent shocks and equal sized brakes/tires on a Mark and it will beat the Mustang around any road course.

Pony cars are not sports cars. They are aerodynamic turds and their suspensions blow for anything but launching.

Put some decent shocks and equal sized brakes/tires on a Mark and it will beat the Mustang around any road course.

I have to disagree. It's going to take more than a "decent" suspension setup to outhandle a Mustang. As a matter of fact, I don't think there is any magical suspension setup on our 4000# luxury barges that is going to make our cars outhandle a Mustang. An apple is always an apple and an orange is always an orange.

I have to disagree. It's going to take more than a "decent" suspension setup to outhandle a Mustang. As a matter of fact, I don't think there is any magical suspension setup on our 4000# luxury barges that is going to make our cars outhandle a Mustang. An apple is always an apple and an orange is always an orange.

strongly disagree.

94-98 mustangs handle like ass, log axle pigs.

GT Coupe: 3237 lbs.

93 mark viii 3,757 lb (1,704 kg)

throw the air shat in the garbage+braces+addco bars+good shock/spring setup+ traclok and most importantly great big wide tires. 4000 lb lotus super7.

strongly disagree.

94-98 mustangs handle like ass, log axle pigs.

GT Coupe: 3237 lbs.

93 mark viii 3,757 lb (1,704 kg)

throw the air shat in the garbage+braces+addco bars+good shock/spring setup+ traclok and most importantly great big wide tires. 4000 lb lotus super7.

Well, I guess I'm glad you disagree. I hope mine handles 100X better than it did on air considering I spent probably $800 on the coil conversion. ;)

Lotus Super 7. There is absolutely no way to compare the genius of one of Colin Chapmans "Light makes Might" designs, with a Mark.

I agree...and disagree:D The fact is that it would take a LOT of mods to make a Mark handle as well as a Mustang. But I think it could be done. It is true the Mark VIII has a vastly superior suspension design, SLA front vs. cheapo struts in the 'Stang, IRS out back vs. prehistoric log axle in the 'Stang. However, Ford has worked some kind of dark magic with the 'Stang's cheap obsolete suspension that make the cars handle fantastically. Our '96 Cobra, even with the struts and log, handles like a go-kart. I love slinging that car into curves at 80mph that the my Mark couldn't take at 40 without understeering into the ditch. The Mark VIII's suspension could be made to handle much better than it does now. We must remember these cars was designed to be comfortable freeway cruisers, not track cars. Therefore, the suspension is soft and compliant to a fault. Stiffer bushings, stiffer shocks, bigger brakes, and thicker sway bars would do wonders for the Mark's handling. Unfortunately, the only way to get stiffer shocks up front is to switch to coil-overs or chop up an air shock and install a different shock absorber. It would be nice if someone would make a front air shock with a removable shock absorber that could be replaced with whatever type of shock the driver wanted. That would only be for those of us who want to keep our air ride, though.

It seems alot of people don't care for stangs. I am sorry If i offended people asking this on a mark viii site. I love the mark viii that my dad owns, and I just wanted a comparison of the 2 because his is fun to drive. Thanks again for all the responses

Lotus Super 7. There is absolutely no way to compare the genius of one of Colin Chapmans "Light makes Might" designs, with a Mark.

"Keep making (the part) thinner until it breaks, then make it one size bigger than that". I love Chapmanisms. "There's no suspension problem that can't be solved by stopping it from moving". :D
See below...

As a matter of fact, I don't think there is any magical suspension setup on our 4000# luxury barges that is going to make our cars outhandle a Mustang.

The complexities of mechanical grip and high speed cornering aren't as simple as weight, a road course isn't an autocross. ;)

I'll see if I can condense some of it into bullets without writing a huge internet:
-Width: Our cars are wider, and we can fit more tire. I've run 275's on the front with an 03 Cobra rim.
-Areo: It matters a lot more as you get going a lot faster. 14 second cars dragging to 90'something mph aren't moving as much air as they are at 120/130.
-Suspension: Something I'm sure everyone here has noticed is, despite being wider, mustang headers don't fit. We have less engine room because our suspension takes up more room. Longer control arms result in more grip than shorter ones, having to do with the angle of the tire as it compresses (since neither cars have equal length CA's).
-Weight: We've got more to loose. Our cars employed lightweight materials to counter the additional weight of all that luxury stuff. That's why out curb weight is so close to the MN12 with less stuff in them. The "Rip it all out and start cutting" treatment will remove more weight for our cars than from a Mustang, it's theoretically possible to match their weight. Being bigger doesn't matter if you're full of air. ;)

I'm not talking out of my arse either, this is something that I've done time and time and time again, albeit in an XR7 with 5.0. Mustangs and Camaros simply do not compare. Stock Corvettes also had trouble, though Z06's fared better. Small cars like Miata's and RX7's may "technicaly" handle better, but my street-tire lap times were equal or faster than their race-group times. The car needs some balls at some point.

If you want to dominate a racing class, cut a Gen 1 Mark and feed it a 9:1 power to weight ratio. Cobra Brakes and wheels, Koni Yellow (or equivalent) shocks, and a stout 5 speed. I'd recommend swapping to a simple 5.0, it's cheaper and easier. By cutting, I mean going after it with a saw.
Enter it in American Iron: http://www.nasaponycars.com/

Doing HPDEs in my street-driven 230rwhp XR7, my lap times were quick enough to not-finish-last.

Thaywood Is something wrong with your mark like old parts My mark does not understeer they are actually very neutral with a slight hint of under steer. That is if you set up for the corner at proper speed if you are slowing in the turn the mark will push if you come to the corner at the right speed and excelerate out the car will never understeer.

electric

It is one of those Electric Super Chargers you can get on Ebay, good for 1 million horse power:D

aaaaaaa they are just 1000hp man -- leaf blowers make a million hp --- hotrod magazine put 2 leaf blowers on a vet lol made 24hp :D 2 lb i think they made :p

if you are young and don't mind the cop magnet get the stang - at age 58 im into pleasure cruising .

hrdp-1105-01-o+leaf-blower-supercharger+kit.jpg

Last edited:
Thaywood Is something wrong with your mark like old parts My mark does not understeer they are actually very neutral with a slight hint of under steer. That is if you set up for the corner at proper speed if you are slowing in the turn the mark will push if you come to the corner at the right speed and excelerate out the car will never understeer.

I was exaggerating just a tad:) I was just trying to convey how much better the Cobra handles compared to the Mark VIII from my experience driving both cars. My Mark VIII handles quite well for what it is. I do need an alignment and LCA's and strut rod bushings (which I have, but haven't installed). Currently it does understeer a little more than I'd like. But only if I try to hit a curve too hard. And with those mushy Arnott shocks up front it wallows like crazy! It's hard to comfortably pitch that car into a curve while driving "spiritedly" down a twisty back road. The Cobra, on the other hand, is just plain fun to drive the hell out of! That car literally handles like it's on rails. There's no hint of understeer, and I can make the rear end step out with a little jab of throttle. The Mark won't do that:( Of course the straight drive in the Cobra helps tremendously in the fun-to-drive-like-a-maniac department.

I went and looked at a 95 cobra with my friend that was advertised as being supercharged, it wasn't the airbags were deployed, a chunk of carpet was missing, the stereo was missing, the paint looked like crap, the tires were on backwards, some painted the dashboard red, and the tranny felt like crap, all this for $3500

Members online

No members online now.
Back