Mark VIII problems

joy41

LVC Member
Reaction score
My 1996 Mark VIII has problems the dealer cannot help with. First the steering wheel bounces so much, it makes your hand numb. Tires are new, aligned. First time they installed new front rotors and rotated back rotors, cost $431. That didn't work so they checked everything and said, they had no idea. The Message Center came up with Oil Temp Error. Back to dealer. They tell me there is no such item in their books so the car must be okay. Took car to two other dealers, same reply. For several months car has sounded like body and frame are crashing together - after a few miles, it calms down. Dealer cannot find anything rubbing and said it would be silly to pay them $45 an hour to put car on rack and bump it up and down. Shifting also is a problem, it shifts whenever it wants to. Was told transmission is fine. Also had air suspension checked to see if that was cause of noise. Dealer said air suspension is fine. Any ideas and answers would be greatly appreciated. I have a beautiful car with spoiler and convention kit, but I need help getting these things fixed P.S. you may have read this already in the LS forum as I got to the wrong place, please excuse.

Hey man...welcome to the site.

When you say..."Bounces so much it hurts your hand" do you mean vibrations, or actual shaking? A COMMON problem with these cars is the driveshaft. It has a junk 2 piece design, and after time becomes sloppy enough to cause vibrations while driving. Some cars arent as bad, while others are horrible.

Does it increase with extra speed, or stay the same? Does it just depend on engine RPM, and not vehicle speed? Everyone I have talked to describes the noise it creates as a "boominess" in the cabin and you can feel it in the floorboards, and the steering wheel. If this is describes it, i'm going to say 98.95634% sure that it is your driveshaft.

As far as your "oil temp" error goes, Is that exactly what it said? Cause I have never heard of an error like that. I'll have to run down to the garage and look through the books.

Your bumping and crashing....Does it come from the back or the front? If your hearing it from the back, a common problem is the rear shock mounts. It sounds like someone is doing a drum roll on the rear wheel wells. If it's from the front, it could also be the mounts or a ball joint.

I'm sorry you have had so much trouble from the dealership. I have yet to find one competent enough to look at either of my marks. I also wish I lived closer to ya. I could come by and fix it all for you.

Also...could you describe your transmission issues in better detail? I'm having a hard time figuring it out from what you have given.

Take care man.

Mike

Sounds like it could be REALLY bad ball joints.

I avoid the dealer like the plague. I'll never set foot in there again except when I need a part that only they carry. NO repairs whatsoever, no way.

94m5 said:
Hey man...welcome to the site.

When you say..."Bounces so much it hurts your hand" do you mean vibrations, or actual shaking? A COMMON problem with these cars is the driveshaft. It has a junk 2 piece design, and after time becomes sloppy enough to cause vibrations while driving. Some cars arent as bad, while others are horrible.

Does it increase with extra speed, or stay the same? Does it just depend on engine RPM, and not vehicle speed? Everyone I have talked to describes the noise it creates as a "boominess" in the cabin and you can feel it in the floorboards, and the steering wheel. If this is describes it, i'm going to say 98.95634% sure that it is your driveshaft.

As far as your "oil temp" error goes, Is that exactly what it said? Cause I have never heard of an error like that. I'll have to run down to the garage and look through the books.

Your bumping and crashing....Does it come from the back or the front? If your hearing it from the back, a common problem is the rear shock mounts. It sounds like someone is doing a drum roll on the rear wheel wells. If it's from the front, it could also be the mounts or a ball joint.

I'm sorry you have had so much trouble from the dealership. I have yet to find one competent enough to look at either of my marks. I also wish I lived closer to ya. I could come by and fix it all for you.

Also...could you describe your transmission issues in better detail? I'm having a hard time figuring it out from what you have given.

Take care man.

Mike

HI MIKE,
JUST WENT OUT TO CAR TO MAKE SURE I TOLD YOU RIGHT, SYSTEM CHECK ON MESSAGE CENTER SAYS "OIL TEMP SIGNAL ERROR" - EVERYTHING ELSE CHECKS OUT FINE. I BELIEVE IN MY BOOK, IT SAYS IF THE OIL TEMP SIGNAL ERROR COMES UP, SEE YOUR DEALER IMMEDIATELY. I DID THAT WITH NO LUCK.
YES, THE BOUNCING IS VIBRATIONS - USUALLY BETWEEN 30 AND 50 MPH. ONCE I GET OVER 50, IT SMOOTHS OUT.
THE NOISE, TO BE HONEST, I CAN'T TELL EXACTLY WHERE IT COMES FROM. SOMETIMES IT SOUNDS LIKE THE REAR, SOMETIMES FRONT, SOMETIMES LEFT AND SOMETIMES RIGHT. THIS HAPPENS MOSTLY ON SIDE STREETS OR SECONDARY ROADS, ONCE I GET OUT ON THE HIGHWAY, DON'T NOTICE AT FASTER SPEEDS.
ONLY HAVE 85,800 MILES ON THE CAR BUT HAVE HAD VIBRATIONS SINCE PURCHASE - THE NOISES STARTED ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO AND JUST SEEM TO GET WORSE.
HAVE BEEN UNDER CAR, SHOOK EVERYTHING POSSIBLE, NOTHING SEEMS TO BE LOOSE.
SURE APPRECIATE YOUR IDEAS.
THANKS
JOY

forgot about transmission there. This is a difficult one to explain - I may leave a stop sign and be 5 mile down the road before the car shifts unless I put it to the floor; then sometimes at 70 mph, it shifts, even on cruise. Of course if you go to AAMCO, they immediately want to tear the car apart, been there with a Ford, a GMC, another Ford and a Dodge, all of which had the same problems after a rebuilt transmission - so I doubt the Mark needs one rebuilt. Have had transmission flushed, change oil every 3000 miles - take care of car -

Frogman said:
I think I see that error on my mark when I use the remote start. I don't know if it's the same exact error, but it sounds familiar.

Once I put the key in and turn it to run, it clears up.

The oil temp signal error comes up on my System Check and it will not allow me to reset when I do oil changes. Dealer says it isn't in their book so not to worry. My book in the car which came with the Mark says to take car to dealer immediately if this message appears. so far it doesn't seem to be causing any major problems but would hate to burn up the engine if there is a problem. Car doesn't use any oil from oil change to oil change.

I went over to the garage and grabbed my ford manuals for ya, and this is what I found.

The oil level sensor also doubles as the temp sensor. The ECM uses this "temp" sensor to advance the oil change interval warning. I have a feeling that if you replace this sensor, you will fix your problem. This IS of course, if you have checked the plug going to the sensor, and the wiring circuit and made sure that is all OK.

There are a whole bunch of tests you can run on the sensor to check it out, and I would be willing to scan them for you to take to a local mechanic. Just let me know if you would like them.

I would run from that "dealership" that you go to as fast as you can. They obviously can't read thier own damned books. Either that or they are too lazy to work on the electronics. If I were closer to your area, I would fix it myself. Here is a quick scan, telling you about the problem.

Mike

Oiltempshit1.jpg

94m5 said:
I went over to the garage and grabbed my ford manuals for ya, and this is what I found.

The oil level sensor also doubles as the temp sensor. The ECM uses this "temp" sensor to advance the oil change interval warning. I have a feeling that if you replace this sensor, you will fix your problem. This IS of course, if you have checked the plug going to the sensor, and the wiring circuit and made sure that is all OK.

There are a whole bunch of tests you can run on the sensor to check it out, and I would be willing to scan them for you to take to a local mechanic. Just let me know if you would like them.

Mike

Mike, that would be great and a big help. Sure do appreciate your help. You know when you have a nice Mark, you want to keep it in the best condition possible. Thanks.

Thank you so much Mike, copied the scan and will get busy tomorrow and see what I can find you. Will let you know what I find.

94m5 said:

I would run from that "dealership" that you go to as fast as you can. They obviously can't read thier own damned books. Either that or they are too lazy to work on the electronics. If I were closer to your area, I would fix it myself. Here is a quick scan, telling you about the problem.

Mike

One thing the scan said is to replace engine oil temp sensor. I had this done twice as the mechanic thought perhaps it was sticking. But after replacing twice, the same message came up.
Will check on the other things tomorrow and see what we come up with. thank you.

Members online

Back