Mark VIII Neglect

Warden

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
It saddens me to realize that for the past several years I have been neglecting the Marks. I would throw half ass attention to them when I would have both the free time and motivation, which is a rare combo. I’ve got a list of maintenance to do so thinking I am going to shop this out soon and get back to enjoying them when possible. First up will be an Exhaust for Hyde, and then brakes for the Vert. Then hopefully a stereo upgrade for Hyde, and a new Top Motor and Hydraulics for the vert. Then new carpet for the vert. then….. the list goes on……. And on…….
Neglect is the enemy. And I have been out of touch with the Mark VIII lifestyle.

Neglected my 98 Base for years. When these things sit it gets expensive. Just had to replace tires, brakes, hoses, plug and boots. And a few other items after letting my Mark sit 3 years. But found the love again. Turned the base into a daily and purchased a low mile LSC Florida car to take the garage spot. Won’t let this one go without attention. Gonna enjoy them both and keep them alive for my kids down the line

Yea when I bought mine it had been sitting for 3 years and it took a lot to get it running let alone road worthy

Yea when I bought mine it had been sitting for 3 years and it took a lot to get it running let alone road worthy
Yeah these cars don’t like sitting. Need to be driven regularly or at least properly maintained while being stored

I think I am too picky, I can't seem to find a good exhaust shop to give my baby to. I've had a couple of promissing recomendations, but my calls and emails have gone unanswered. Guess everyone is busy?

I’m doing exhaust on my pearl 98 LSC gonna cut out the 3rd cat add X pipe cut off mufflers add 3 1/2 tips

I think I am too picky, I can't seem to find a good exhaust shop to give my baby to. I've had a couple of promissing recomendations, but my calls and emails have gone unanswered. Guess everyone is busy?
Covid has shut down a lot of non essential businesses and let's be honest exhaust shops aren't essential even in states with emission reqs

Nah.

I've said for years that a FN10 would benefit greatly from an LS swap. I've been a member of this forum for a long time, and have said this the whole time.

Coyote would be sweet. I’ve just never been one to swap LS into a Ford or vice Versa. Keep it all GM or Ford or whatever manufacture you own.

McLaren wouldn't have built the F1 without the V12 from bimmer and koenigsegg wouldn't exist if not for Audi Subaru and Ford I'm just saying

Good points. I just couldn’t imagine putting a LS in a Mark. No way I could do it. But, to each is own.

I am sure a lot of the businesses are closed temporarily. Hopefully i can get on the books at a good shop for a quick turnaround when possible.

I didn't get a chance to work on any of mine this weekend, but a buddy showed up so we could play with his air a bit.
20200523_124117_resized.jpg
20200523_154011_resized_1.jpg

Yeah these cars don’t like sitting. Need to be driven regularly or at least properly maintained while being stored

Mine has sat for 5 years.
Airride works (almost) perfectly. Everything is nice.
Only two troubles was:
1: Brake fluid level sensor is clogged up. Disconnected and no more brake failure light.
2: Right front caliper siezed up after a while. I restored those before I parked the car for those 5 years but moisture had gotten inside the boot.

In the photo above we tried troubleshooting the Air Suspension of the Super CE and we narrowed it down to a bad height sensor or a solenoid but made no fix. Joe asked again to use my garage the following Saturday and I of course said yes. He shows up with not 1, but 2 Star II Testers! He had them from a while back and forgot. We confirmed a bad passenger solenoid and were able to get one the same day from Autozone. We were then also able to confirm for 100% the issue with the convertible is the power wire harness connector to the Air Compressor is junk (cracked, taped up, and arcing). It is a Gen 2 Wire Harness that locates that connector to the north side of the compressor bracket (it's at the back of the bracket in the gen 1) that is sandwiched by the Gen 1 Front Bumper Cover. So the connector is cracked and the wires are arcing, and the connector is sandwiched by the bumper cover and subject to physical contact (although not to harsh) through the bumper cover. If I push the bumper cover at the right spot, the connector makes contact, and the compressor kicks on.

I think my solution will be to cut out the connector and butt splice all back together with a loop of wire in-between. Of course i'll heat shrink and wrap my connections. I am thinking this is the best solution and the extra wire that I put in will give me options in the future if the compressor needs to come out. It is a NOS compressor with maybe 500 miles on it! So hopefully it lasts another 20 years, lol, or till the next stage of the build where the car will hopefully receive a full Art Morrison 4" Boxed Convertible Frame with IRS and air.

BTW, I got as far as picking up the calipers and brake pads from the parts store to work on mine. It was not touched. :)

Question doesn’t pertain to the thread but this is the most active thread on here so thought I’d ask. Do all Mark owners experience quite a bit of power loss with max ac on? I’ve owned 4 Marks and they always fall flat with the ac on. Do I just have bad luck or do these things lose that much under ac load?

Question doesn’t pertain to the thread but this is the most active thread on here so thought I’d ask. Do all Mark owners experience quite a bit of power loss with max ac on? I’ve owned 4 Marks and they always fall flat with the ac on. Do I just have bad luck or do these things lose that much under ac load?
Mine does and if I go to hard from a stop the ac doesn't blow as cold

Members online

Back