Mark VIII gauge pods

98lincmk7lsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What are you guys using? I'm pretty sure I remember that most people use Thunderbird pillar pods. I need one that houses 2 gauges. I've got some PLX gauges coming that I got an awesome deal on.

How do they mount on the pillar? I really don't want to have to put any holes into the A-pillar, but I'm not sure how else it could mount and have any kind of permanence...

Post up what you've got!

I see that SCP has one pretty cheap, but mostly I just want to see how these things mount...

mine is t-bird 2 pod from scp. mounts perfect, the trim must be damn close in the bird as the mark cuz mine fit like it was made for the mark, lets see if i have a pic...
all i could find i have 5 photobucket accounts i'm not going through them all lol.
this was with non matching gauges when i first put it in.
buffed97040.jpg

newheadlights007.jpg

newheadlights008.jpg

I'll just be using a pod that mounts to the dash itself. It will be over in the corner closest to the A pillar..

What are you guys using? I'm pretty sure I remember that most people use Thunderbird pillar pods. I need one that houses 2 gauges. I've got some PLX gauges coming that I got an awesome deal on.

How do they mount on the pillar? I really don't want to have to put any holes into the A-pillar, but I'm not sure how else it could mount and have any kind of permanence...

Post up what you've got!

They mount using small push pins at the edges, and you'll have to drill a larger hole for the wiring.

They mount using small push pins at the edges, and you'll have to drill a larger hole for the wiring.

Man, that sucks. I was really hoping not to have to drill any holes, or anything. Do you think that would be in any way possible? I know it's probably kinda anal, but I really hate putting holes in trim pieces, especially given the "rarity" of the 98 Midnight black interior. Haven't had to do it yet, and would rather not in the future.

Guess I have to see if I can do something custom somewhere...

Maybe I'll try and put them in the rear defroster panel like Jeremi's old car, and move the seat heater switches somewhere else.

mine is t-bird 2 pod from scp. mounts perfect, the trim must be damn close in the bird as the mark cuz mine fit like it was made for the mark, lets see if i have a pic...
all i could find i have 5 photobucket accounts i'm not going through them all lol.
this was with non matching gauges when i first put it in.
buffed97040.jpg

newheadlights007.jpg

newheadlights008.jpg

Thanks Jamie. That looks good, it's just gonna take me a while to get used to the idea of drilling holes in the trim...

Man, that sucks. I was really hoping not to have to drill any holes, or anything. Do you think that would be in any way possible? I know it's probably kinda anal, but I really hate putting holes in trim pieces, especially given the "rarity" of the 98 Midnight black interior. Haven't had to do it yet, and would rather not in the future.

Guess I have to see if I can do something custom somewhere...

Maybe I'll try and put them in the rear defroster panel like Jeremi's old car, and move the seat heater switches somewhere else.

Buy the more common tan pillar trim and paint it black. Save the original part if you want to put it back.

yeah dude get another one and paint it so you can keep the original hole free, if you want to mount one and have working gauges in it but dont want to drill holes then i would forget the whole idea because you physically not use one without drilling, where are you going to run your gauge wires on the outside of the pillar lol!! you have to drill.

Maybe frogman can do pillar pod in carbon fiber if he still doing carbon fiber.

I've actually got a tan one in the garage...

I'm gonna attempt to install them in the defrost switch panel, and see how that goes. The tan pillar will be plan B...

I mounted mine were the message center was. Didn't see a need for it anymore. I didn't want the pod its takes away from the sleeper effect.

A09b.jpg

it does take away from the sleeper look, unless your windows are pitch black like mine, then you can drive naked if you want and no one will ever know! you can get the gauges in the defrost panel if you have tiny gauges. when jeremi built the cordovan red collector edition with the cobra motor in it, he had gauges in the defrost switch bezel, but they were very small gauges.

Years ago I had a Black Taurus SHO with tinted windows like that. Loved it but then the police started ticketing me till I had to remove it. I just remembered also that a second generation does a lot more at the message center. Hope the police dont start on yours. Looks good, Good luck

my windows have been black for a year now and i have yet to get stopped in my 97 for anything, i havent been pulled over since 2004 and that was just to tell me my tag was expired, didnt even get a ticket he let me go. even my windshield is 100% tinted too!!

my windows have been black for a year now and i have yet to get stopped in my 97 for anything, i havent been pulled over since 2004 and that was just to tell me my tag was expired, didnt even get a ticket he let me go. even my windshield is 100% tinted too!!

Do not drive tonight.

Well he's saying he has not been pulled over yet for anything, mostly when I brag about something that has not happened it happens right after I say it. So mostly just a warning to be careful out there tonight.

I get it now... :p

100% tint lets all of the light through Jamie, I think your tinter ripped you off on that one. :p

wow, 100% meaning the entire windshield is tinted not just a stupid strip across the top, its tinted from the roof to the dash, that 100%, the tint is 50% on windshield, 5% everywhere else

I've just got 3% on everything but the windshield. I don't feel it necessary to tint the windshield. It's hard enough to see out of it at night....

Definitely gives it a cool look though.

BTW, I got my guages today. PLX digital guages, and they're sweet looking!

One of them hooks up through the OBD-II port and reads out all kinds of crap, up to 4 parameters at a time on the screen, and since I thought it would look funny with only one guage, I bought another one without the OBD-II functionality (cheaper, and didn't need it to read OBD stuff), and a wideband A/F sensor module for it.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can...

Members online

Back