Mark VIII 4.30 swap!...with a question

majorownage

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I finished my gear swap and all I can say is WOW!

I replaced the 3.07s with some Motive 4.30s and trac lok. The swap was done on my parents driveway in a weekend.

I also went ahead and replaced my D/S with a 93 single piece: rebuilt u-joints and balanced.

The only thing I am kinda wondering about is, should I be worried about the differential alignment? I kinda just followed the outline of where it was installed before, but is that good enough?

Car lays down TWO strips and gets sideways at WOT on a second gear shift...stock. :headbang:

Differential alignment as in, where the center section was bolted into the car? Or what?
Cuz there really isn't any adjustment with that. Just 4 bolts.

Differential alignment as in, where the center section was bolted into the car? Or what?
Cuz there really isn't any adjustment with that. Just 4 bolts.

yea exactly...

I know there is no way to "adjust" it...but I was just talking about pushing left or right a couple of cm.

Its minor, I know, but the diff needs to be parallel to the output shaft of the trans to cancel the driveshaft sine waves...

I'm probably just fretting about something that is a completely moot problem.:rolleyes:

The bolts/mounts don't exactly allow room for adjustment. If it bolted back in and hasn't fallen on the ground yet, you're probably OK.

i have 4:30's too, i went from 3:73 to 4:30 and i said wow, i can imagine what your wow was like lmfao!!

I managed 19.7 mpg with about 1 hr of city and 4 hours of highway driving @ 70mph. Over 100 the entire time I drove! I am impressed!

i cant do over 85 i am scared i have a real bad driveshaft vibration but i can get to 85 in the blink of an eye!!!

Alignment, or pinion angle, should be as from the factory unless modified somehow.

One of these days I want to check mine just for giggles.

Members online

Back