Mannie G's Proggress thread (canvas Top Removal)

my canvas top is just startting to fall apart at the seems in some places so one day ill just rip it apart but it looks like a I have to replace parts I already replaced - thank you moog/TRW Advance autoparts upper control arms (one greaseable one not damn defect exchange and fraudsters!)

Din't Have much time this week because of work but This is how far I got

I Plugged all the holes from the screw damage to the top and to the between the quarter window and back window. Like I said before my method was the stud welds from the stud gun. IMO it puts out less heat that the MIG welder will specially on the roof. It was much faster as well there was no need to remove the headliner. The holes on the doors are a little bigger and on those I will use a MIG so I will leave that for last. I also started on the body work, the biggest hit was on the front right fender, so that's were I started, The rest is all dime size dings and are a quite easy to do. I am hopping to be done and paint the car by the end of May. I went a paint store in town and got my quotes for the paint I will be using and the color I'm going to paint the car. That's right I have opted to not go for the original color and I will paint it a color that did not come on the mark VIII. You'll just have to see the finish product when I'm done. Here is the progress for now.

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

Preping the fender to pull the dent out.

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

This is after I pulled the dent out as straight as possible.

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

Great work, I belive this is the first thread I have seen about actually removing the top.

Did they also put that screw in the window trim for the quarter glass too for securing the faux rag top??

BTW mind sending me a PM on the 65-66 Mustang project, curious to know what it's all about.

Jeff

Great work, I belive this is the first thread I have seen about actually removing the top.

Did they also put that screw in the window trim for the quarter glass too for securing the faux rag top??

BTW mind sending me a PM on the 65-66 Mustang project, curious to know what it's all about.

Jeff

Yes they put a screw on the quarter trim as well, I will be making a Wrecking Yard to find some parts I will need.

Nice progress mang! Thats some work that is beyond my abilities. Shes gonna look nice when you are done. :)

OK so I was off this week from work and I got most of the body work done on the mk8 except for some minor details. I also primer it today However I ran out of primer after the 2nd coat so I will be shooting it again. I want at least 3 coats so I can guide coat it and block it. I didn't want to primer the bumpers just yet till I fix them. I also shaved the rear Lincoln emblem out of the center tail light. Will post some pics up later. Depending on my budget I want to have it painted by the end of June. I also need to find some LSC door molding. I will also be painting all the chrome trim the same color of the car, even the Door trim. I'm also working on building a custom grill for it so It will be emblem less. Glad the top is gone and that I removed it before it caused major rust issues.

Here are my pics of the progress.

IMAG0110.jpg

Fresh out of Primer:
IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

Looks like the work is coming along nicely. For a car no one wanted you to buy, it will have come a long way.

im a lil confused... did you zip down the whole car first or just primer it?

I just primered with high build primer so I can block it. Hope that helps clear up the confusion, I will be painting it soon.

what are you gonna do about the back window? most people on here dont actually know what they did to the rear window for the canvas top to go on, they cut the rubber off, usually down both sides, and across the bottom, the huge piece that flows down under the trunk lid, all the tops i have ever ripped off the whole bottom section of the gasket was sliced clean off. what a mess. your making nice progress though body is looking good.

what are you gonna do about the back window? most people on here dont actually know what they did to the rear window for the canvas top to go on, they cut the rubber off, usually down both sides, and across the bottom, the huge piece that flows down under the trunk lid, all the tops i have ever ripped off the whole bottom section of the gasket was sliced clean off. what a mess. your making nice progress though body is looking good.

Thanks. The sides are cut up on this one not the bottom, but I think I'm going to see what the wrecking yard has to offer from time to time I run into some clean back window seals. I don't mind removing the back window on one at the yard if that's what it takes. From what I been told too there is no way to buy a new seal unless you get the whole entire glass. We will see what happens, not too worried about that yet, as I have quite a bit of work to do still.

lookin at this old page and i was wondering how far you have come on this. also those wheels are in my opinion the best i have seen on any m8 ever (no offense to anyone here)

Members online

No members online now.
Back