Magnaflow exhuast Installed

Little bit of speaker pop but it still sounds real mean man. Magnaflow is one of the best sounding exhausts for the LS. Off question, how do you like your tires?

I'm going to take a video tomorrow of the true dual exhaust with the dynomax mufflers, unknown resonators, and 2.5" piping from the cat-back.

Theyre good tires.

They ride smooth and so far the wear is even and i havent had any traction issues in rain or ice.

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life, but if possible, can someone address the cabin-noise increase that resulted from these mufflers?

I have a 2002 V8 LS, but it's primarily my daily driver. My weekend warrior is a 93 rx7 with a 6.0 V8 in it, so I have a good idea of what it's like to drive a loud car.

Ideally, I would like to keep the in-cabin noise to an absolutely minimum. One of the things I love about this car so far, is the peace and quiet I get when I drive it around town. I can also appreciate the lack of highway drone, which comes from driving a stock car. However, from outside the car, I might as well be driving a civic.

Is there a middle ground with this setup? I'd like the car to sound like it has a V8 in it, but I don't want to feel like I'm driving a modified car, hence my question: How is the in-cabin noise/highway-drone/drive-ability affected by these mufflers and an x-pipe?

Thanks in advance

I am runniing a Magnaflow catback without the X pipe. I did have a drone, not overwhelming by my personal taste, but a drone nonetheless at highway speeds. I do have a custom stereo install so I lined the interior of my trunk and doors with Hushmat. The product helped reduce the sound of the exhaust at highway speeds considerably.

BlackLS one of these days we'll have to meet up. I want to hear this exhaust in person.

I'm a little confused. Doesn't the LS have a factory installed X pipe? I was sure that's what I was looking at the other day while I was under there.

Ideally, I would like to keep the in-cabin noise to an absolutely minimum. One of the things I love about this car so far, is the peace and quiet I get when I drive it around town. I can also appreciate the lack of highway drone, which comes from driving a stock car. However, from outside the car, I might as well be driving a civic.

Is there a middle ground with this setup? I'd like the car to sound like it has a V8 in it, but I don't want to feel like I'm driving a modified car, hence my question: How is the in-cabin noise/highway-drone/drive-ability affected by these mufflers and an x-pipe?
From what you're saying seems like this is def the setup you want.

I'm a little confused. Doesn't the LS have a factory installed X pipe? I was sure that's what I was looking at the other day while I was under there.
nope Y-pipe

H pipe. People also call it a third cat because of the cover but its not a cat.

Ok... But 2 pipes in and 2 out do not a y pipe make... H pipe maybe? It has a cover over it, so I can't really tell by looking.

The X you saw is just a heat shield that holds to two pipes together. They remain independent up until the H-pipe region by the resonators.

The X you saw is just a heat shield that holds to two pipes together. They remain independent up until the H-pipe region by the resonators.
It's a general rule that just switching to an X-pipe setup will produce more power. So that's definitely on my list. Though I'll probably do the milder Magnaflow cat back system. I'd like to have matching high flow cats. I'm guessing they don't think its worth the effort?

It's a general rule that just switching to an X-pipe setup will produce more power. So that's definitely on my list. Though I'll probably do the milder Magnaflow cat back system. I'd like to have matching high flow cats. I'm guessing they don't think its worth the effort?

Factory cats are more than sufficient. Going with the Magnaflow catback sounds like the perfect solution for you!

I agree on the x-pipe/3rd cat thing. It looks like a 3rd cat, but I beleive it's just a hollow H or X pipe. I cut mine out and installed an after market x-pipe, and ran 2.5 from the stock cats back. Same set-up as Alax7 used to have, but instead of magnaflows, I'm running flowmaster 44's. It's a deep rumble when idling, but screams bloody murder when you get on it! As far as the highway drone goes... Yes, it's annoying. My set-up is brutal on long road trips, so I decided to upgrade the stereo system;) I haven't heard the magnaflow cat-back system in person so I can't comment, but, I got my custom system for 1/3 the price!

I agree on the x-pipe/3rd cat thing. It looks like a 3rd cat, but I beleive it's just a hollow H or X pipe. I cut mine out and installed an after market x-pipe, and ran 2.5 from the stock cats back. Same set-up as Alax7 used to have, but instead of magnaflows, I'm running flowmaster 44's. It's a deep rumble when idling, but screams bloody murder when you get on it! As far as the highway drone goes... Yes, it's annoying. My set-up is brutal on long road trips, so I decided to upgrade the stereo system;) I haven't heard the magnaflow cat-back system in person so I can't comment, but, I got my custom system for 1/3 the price!
lol... be careful what you wish for!

All I really want is something that says "Hey, I'm a V8 over here"... lol It doesn't have to sound like its about to hit the drag strip or anything, and I definitely don't want any extra sound in the interior. I've had guys that live around me tell me they thought it was a 4cyl because its so quiet when I drive off... no bueno :(

All I really want is something that says "Hey, I'm a V8 over here"... lol It doesn't have to sound like its about to hit the drag strip or anything, and I definitely don't want any extra sound in the interior. I've had guys that live around me tell me they thought it was a 4cyl because its so quiet when I drive off... no bueno :(

Haha, def no bueno! I agree that the stock exhaust is weak on these cars, but they have cats, resonators, and F-ed up mufflers. Their plan was to meet emissions and make the "old" Lincoln drivers happy. Guessing by your reply, my set-up is too loud for you. In that case, I would recommend a resonator delete with bassanis and 4" tips. After hearing the bassanis on youtube I was kicking myself! My flowmaster 44's sound great, but very aggressive. I believe the 2nd gen cars are 2.5 into the res, and 2.25 out. So just plan on doing 2.5 all the way from the resonators. Once again, my set-up is 2.5 from the cats into an x-pipe, and into flowmaster 44, and 4"tips. If it makes any difference.... My neighbors hate me every morning, but every girl that rides in my car gets giddy ;)

Sounds like you need magnaflow or borlas.

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life, but if possible, can someone address the cabin-noise increase that resulted from these mufflers?

I have a 2002 V8 LS, but it's primarily my daily driver. My weekend warrior is a 93 rx7 with a 6.0 V8 in it, so I have a good idea of what it's like to drive a loud car.

Thanks in advance

My setup is not very loud in fact its one of the milder ones on this forum and i would say there is little to no drone in the cabin with windows up.

BlackLS one of these days we'll have to meet up. I want to hear this exhaust in person.

Sure thing. Let me get my new wheels, brakes and detail first. Then we can do a mini-meet/photoshoot.

Luckily for you its very hard to get lots of sound from this engine, well much harder than the 4.6 anyways.

Members online

Back