LVC's New Home ~~ Dedicated Server

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
LVC is going to have a new home soon...

For most of you, this thread is going to be meaningless, but maybe a little interesting.

Up until now, LVC has been hosted on whats called a "Shared Server". Basically thats a computer owned by someone else who rents out parts of the server.

Often, there are HUNDREDS of websites on such servers. Last fall I upgraded to a special server called a VPS, where we have our own portion of the server guaranteed to us at all times.

Its no longer enough. I have noticed performance problems of late. Pages load a bit slow sometimes, and we've even crashed the server once or twice.

So I have taken steps to give us a vast improvement in performance and reliability. I have bought a brand new server. Not only that, but a damn good one. :) (Gold Members - your membership dues are hard at work here)

It's being housed in Atlanta at a place called GNAX. They are a major datacenter and house servers for companies like CNN and a major search engine. (im not sure which, they wont tell me, yet... But I suspect Google has one of their datacenters here) We are actually in a brand new section of the datacenter, so everything is state of the art.

Here is a pic of the new server - Doesnt look like much but it cost more then some of your cars :)

server.jpg

Here is the rack we're housed in - we're on top (naturally)

rack.jpg

rank3.jpg

Here is the cage the Search Engine is going into. Each box you see is a server...

searchengine.jpg

Just to give you an idea how big this place is, this is during construction. Keep in mind, this is a new PART of the facility.

gnax.jpg

Here is the alley we're on.

alley.jpg

Here is the Main Power Unit Interface for the facility - I told you, state of the art.

powerunitinterface.jpg

Anyway, I thought this might interest some of you. :) LVC will be one of the last sites I move to this server, as I want to make sure it is completely stable before I move LVC. :)

In other news, there is a new version of our forum software coming out soon. There will be some new features available that are kinda cool, like the ability to upload sig images. Thats still a month or two off yet, but its looking pertty good.

So, Im working hard to make LVC the best we can make it. :)

Awesome work Godfather everything looks cool, will it have plenty of bandwith :D I couldn't resist it :D . I thank you for all your hard work and congrats. :cool:

Hey Joey, What does that bad boy have under the covers?

Interesting...they let you take photos. Picture #5, did you get any info on the white boxes in the back? Are those the UPS system? They look like the "flywheel" technology. Just talk'n shop...

JoeyGood said:
Hey Joey, What does that bad boy have under the covers?

Dual-core Processor:
  • Single AMD Dual-Core Opteron 170 2.0Ghz
  • 2x 1M L2 Cache, On-die Memory Controller
Motherboard:
  • Supermicro H8SSL-i Socket 939 Server Board
  • ServerWorks HT1000 Chipset
  • IPMI 2.0 Interface Card available
1U Optimized CPU Cooling:
  • Cooljag SFO-M 1U Copper Passive Heatsink
  • 3x 12000rpm 4cm Turbine Fans
  • Custom-fit "Wind Tunnel" (CSE-PT112)
RAM:
  • Major brand 2048M(2G) 128-bit Dual-Channel DDR-400 PC-3200, 2x 1G, 2x open, 4-Gig Max
Included Storage/Hardware RAID Devices:
  • 4pcs Western Digital 250G SATA, 7200rpm WD2500YD, 24x7 RAID Edition, 16-Meg Buffer3ware 9500S-4LP 4-ports SATA PCI-X RAID Controller 4x 250G hardware RAID-5 or RAID-10

torquemonkey said:
Interesting...they let you take photos. Picture #5, did you get any info on the white boxes in the back? Are those the UPS system? They look like the "flywheel" technology. Just talk'n shop...

Yes, those are the UPS system.

I personally didnt go into the facility, the guy who handles my hosting did. These pics are all from him.

Holly :q:q:q:q that is some heafty change you spent on that MONSTER

You should be able to run all your sites from that server. When is it going to be active? I can't wait to see the diffrence which should be very noticable for those that have highspeed at home. Let me know if you need anything to get you started.

What about backups? Just wondering ???

JoeyGood said:
You should be able to run all your sites from that server. When is it going to be active? I can't wait to see the diffrence which should be very noticable for those that have highspeed at home. Let me know if you need anything to get you started.

LVC will be one of the last sites I move only because its the most server intensive and I need to make sure the server is stable before I throw such a site at it.

And this server should be able to handle alot more then just my sites. There are plenty of shared hosts on this same basic setup, that run 400-600 sites on it, so I should be just fine. :)

JoeyGood said:
What about backups? Just wondering ???

As far as backups - that is something I am still researching - im not sure if I should add an extra drive just for backups, or go with a remote backup solution.

Joeychgo said:
As far as backups - that is something I am still researching - im not sure if I should add an extra drive just for backups, or go woith a remote backup solution.

Well don't know if you pay by space or bandwith but i got a nice peace of equipment i can donate to LVC that does up to 1 terabite of data backup if they got room in the rack (about 8U) HP Sure Store Backup machine (Fits 15 DLT 40/80gig tapes with SCSI interface) i would use 14 and a cleaning tape but that's me

All you have to do is just come up and pick it up :D

Excellent work Joey. Everything is lookin good. :Beer Even though I do not know much about computers, you're hard work for this site is very much appreciated.:V

JoeyGood said:
Well don't know if you pay by space or bandwith but i got a nice peace of equipment i can donate to LVC that does up to 1 terabite of data backup if they got room in the rack (about 8U) HP Sure Store Backup machine (Fits 15 DLT 40/80gig tapes with SCSI interface) i would use 14 and a cleaning tape but that's me

Here is a pic of what it looks like, not the exact one but similar in shape and seize

27717.jpg

JoeyGood said:

Wow - Very much appreciated - But I am strongly leaning toward an offsite backup solution. This way if something happens to the datacenter, I still have everything.

Conti94 said:
Excellent work Joey. Everything is lookin good. Even though I do not know much about computers, you're hard work for this site is very much appreciated.

Thanks Conti - this is what I spend your Gold Membership Dues on... :)

Joeychgo said:
Wow - Very much appreciated - But I am strongly leaning toward an offsite backup solution. This way if something happens to the datacenter, I still have everything.

Gotcha! especially if you gotta change the tapes that would be a pain going back and forth unless they did it for ya, but that would cost more i guess. ok well let me know if you need anything :D

JoeyGood said:
Gotcha! especially if you gotta change the tapes that would be a pain going back and forth unless they did it for ya, but that would cost more i guess. ok well let me know if you need anything :D

Most hosting today relies on HD backups - Currently, we backup to our server daily, and then I periodically DL a backup to my home machine.

At this point im looking for a more automated solution for the offsite backups - and your right, the tapes would be a PITA, especially since im in Chicago and the server is in Atlanta.

Wow...:eek: :eek:
Thats great news.. It's nice to see some of our money going to good use and not under your hood..... LOL I had to say it.:shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

Thanks Joey !!:) :)

Ok. I have moved all my other sites - only LVC remains on the old server.

Watch for an announcement in the next few days for the server move.

Joeychgo said:
Ok. I have moved all my other sites - only LVC remains on the old server.

Watch for an announcement in the next few days for the server move.[

Anticipation....Getting served...I like this.....but last?...only Test...then LVC go live,....right?...j/k...smooch ;)....

MsM8

lololol Sorry Hotties...couldn't resist!

LOL -- No -- I wanted to be absolutely sure the server is tweaked correctly before I move my most beloved site, LVC.

pepperman said:
Do you think the move will be this week?

Probably. Like I said - LVC is the last site to be moved, all others have been moved.

Members online

No members online now.
Back