LSE 02 Overheated

BigBoi

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I was making my weekly drive to pick up my daughter which is about 40 hwy miles. Picked her up and jumped back on hwy and about 10 miles down the road msg center says its cutting my power due to ever hearing and advises me to shut down. I do what it says since the temp gauge is to the max. I noticed there was no fluid in the reservoir. So I wait for it to cool off and drive to Walmart. Fill it up with half of the gallon bottle. Get back on highway with all systems go. About 5 miles in the same thing happens. Check the resevoir and its empty. Pith the other half gallon in and it sucks it down. Wait about 10 minutes and try to get it home. Takes me almost home before it starts again. Popped good and he water looks like its boiling in the resevoir. I hear a hissing from reßevoir but somewhere else as we'll. I took the engine cover off and noticed this thing was letting off steam. ( pic) no leaks on resevoir. Any thoughts? Why all the sudden?
photoapr28220806.jpg

Hydraulic fan is working btw.
Heat has never worked since I have owned it. Hope that helps

Thermostat housing and cap, Get ready to replace a lot more than that.

Upgrade the thermo housing with jag aluminum housing, I would not drive it all until you get it replaced and bled properly.

Basically you'll want to change all the plastic cooling system parts up front, plus the degas (coolant reservoir) bottle. These will all start to deteriorate in the same time-frame, even sooner since they've been run hot lately.

I agree not to drive it until it is fixed. However, the housing isn't causing it to overheat. I would certainly replace the thermostat first. If the car is boiling over and losing the fluid in reservoir then you may have a thermostat issue. However, if the car is sucking down the antifreeze and running it into the cylinders then you have bigger problems. You have to determine whether problem is boiling over the antifreeze or sucking into engine meaning blown head gasket, cracked block or the like. Usually this is not the original cause but usually this happens when the car initially overheats from another problem and you drive it like that, then you do the SERIOUS damage. Hope you get it figured out. You may very well need to replace that housing, and would probably do so myself if it were me, I guess it is possible that thing is popping off at too low of temp and wasting antifreeze but I suspect the cause is something else.

Last edited:
I agree not to drive it until it is fixed. However, the housing isn't causing it to overheat. I would certainly replace the thermostat first. If the car is boiling over and losing the fluid in reservoir then you may have a thermostat issue. However, if the car is sucking down the antifreeze and running it into the cylinders then you have bigger problems. You have to determine whether problem is boiling over the antifreeze or sucking into engine meaning blown head gasket, cracked block or the like. Usually this is not the original cause but usually this happens when the car initially overheats from another problem and you drive it like that, then you do the SERIOUS damage. Hope you get it figured out.

Head and head gasket problems are incredibly rare with this engine. I don't see any reason to suspect that he has that problem.
The crack in the housing (or cap) is definitely causing it to over heat. It lets air in, and that blocks circulation of coolant.
We have tons of experience with this.

I see water marks on the housing coming from the cap of therm housing. I'll switch that out and see what happens. I drove it to the liquor store and there was an accident and I was sitting for about 20 min stop and go. She held steady at normal temp for the whole ride. Weird..... Could it bee that I ran out of coolant?

I see water marks on the housing coming from the cap of therm housing. I'll switch that out and see what happens. I drove it to the liquor store and there was an accident and I was sitting for about 20 min stop and go. She held steady at normal temp for the whole ride. Weird..... Could it bee that I ran out of coolant?

did you have to add much water/coolant?

more likely is your overheating is being caused by air pockets in the system...beware, the pocket could be in a critical area of the engine and the coolant cant control the heat inside an air pocket, this is why you were warned not to drive by another poster.... every time you drive is like playing Russian roulette with your engine..

Only what was added when the incident first occurred.
I won't be driving it again since I started to take hoses off. I just wanted to see if I could replicate the problem. Rock auto confirmed shipment last night. Unfortunately I have to wait for it to come from Cali.

Having a hell of a time trying to find the right crows foot. Anyone wanna rent me one?

Yes, you should put the correct thermostat in.
They may have removed the old one trying to solve an overheating problem. (Removing the thermostat just adds more problems without solving any.)

Members online

No members online now.
Back