Ls worth putting new motor in?

free139stylz

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey how many miles do yall think the 2000 ls will last? and is it worth putting new the 04 engine in it? I know they have alot of problems because I already put 3 G's in mine.

free139stylz said:
Hey how many miles do yall think the 2000 ls will last? and is it worth putting new the 04 engine in it? I know they have alot of problems because I already put 3 G's in mine.

it will cost a fortune to put an 04 motor in a pre-03 LS. the engines/trannies changed in 03.

- implemented CAN protocol (so all the computers in the car are different)
- the gas pedal by wire
- the PCM

you should look at swapping for a rebuilt 01 engine.

I've seen posting of 2000-2001 engines (used) for $2500.

add labour, fluids, ....etc

new is like $14,000

it won a top 10 engine design of the year - back in 01. it's a pretty sweet 3.9L.

That's the big gotcha with low volume production engines. For example for quite some time, maybe still, the old SHO V6 was something like $10K in the crate.

Wild Guess, if you find a decent shop they could maybe rebuild and install your current engine for something under $10K. I do not know the offical answer.

My guess is even the parts will be expensive. The SHO parts were all pricey and I swore I would not buy another car with a specialty engine again, duh. There is a lot to be said for plain old American iron like the Chevy SB or the Ford modular series.

I haven't yet really gotten into any serious cost issues with my 1 year old LS but then I have only had it a little over a month. With the terrible depreciation of the LS, I doubt it would be worthwhile to do an engine rebuild or replacement unless for some reason you were really attached or you could do most of the work yourself.

Just my opinion,

Jim Henderson

the one that 14,000 just for the engine? you odnt tihnk i could get a brand new engine for like 5,000?

what about an 02 v6 swap to an 02 v8??? what kinda problems we looking at here??cost on the engine (used or rebuilt) also does anyone make intrenals for the v6 or v8 i wanna build a bad ass turbo set up for either??

see the thing is my ls has 110,000 miles on it but I have alot of stuff on the way for it like rims navigation 4 tv's lowering springs and I just got a new paint job and put 3,000 into the car so I would like to just keep it for awhile but i dont know if the engine will hold up or not and if it doesnt i guess im SH!t out of luck but only paid 6,000 for her

SilverLS said:
what about an 02 v6 swap to an 02 v8??? what kinda problems we looking at here??cost on the engine (used or rebuilt) also does anyone make intrenals for the v6 or v8 i wanna build a bad ass turbo set up for either??

no aftermarket internals - yet.

if you swap to a V8 - there are alot of things to concider - suspension (shocks, springs, sway bar), PCM, alot of the wiring, fuel deliever, most cables, most hoses......

Quik LS said:
no aftermarket internals - yet.

if you swap to a V8 - there are alot of things to concider - suspension (shocks, springs, sway bar), PCM, alot of the wiring, fuel deliever, most cables, most hoses......

What do you want for the car as is? My buddy put an 03 cobra engine/ t-56 in his 02' I'm looking for a good car to do the same.....

94m5 said:
What do you want for the car as is? My buddy put an 03 cobra engine/ t-56 in his 02' I'm looking for a good car to do the same.....

How did he get all the guages, PCM, REM and FEM to work with that motor?

94m5 said:

I am sure most of us here would love to see some pictures of that.

I figured if I loved the car enough to own it past engine destruction, I would be putting something other than the 3.9 in it. When I owned an SHO I thought about other cars I could put that fantastic engine in to make it fun. With this car I am thinking of what other engine can put in there to make it more fun.

I have put 302's in about everything I have ever owned (whether it was supposed to have it or not), but now that it is old technology. I guess I better start looking at othe options. :)

3.9 short block is really cheap.

SHORT BLOCK, LS8, To 7/17/00 - 3.9L DOHC 00-01 $1,089.52 $500.00 $794.26

www.fordparts.com

Yes, a 3.9L short block is $800. $500 is the core charge, $1089 is the list price.

V6 is $1500.

Dutch said:
3.9 short block is really cheap.

SHORT BLOCK, LS8, To 7/17/00 - 3.9L DOHC 00-01 $1,089.52 $500.00 $794.26

www.fordparts.com

Yes, a 3.9L short block is $800. $500 is the core charge, $1089 is the list price.

V6 is $1500.

That makes sense as everything is in the heads.

Heads are cheap, $235 each, but just the valves is another $400+, lifters $300...yeah, that adds up in a hurry!

Members online

No members online now.
Back