LS vs. STS

Ls Vs Sts

Regalrob said:
What does a V8 Ls run? Took my 98 STS to the track last year and it ran a 14.94 at 94.24 mph. Lots of 4's there. Any how I was just wondering if the LS is faster. Also my old boss had a 2000 LS with the V8 and I always spanked his a**.

Thanks for your post. Some of these LS owners must have never ran against an STS. I drive a 1995 that will rip the tires up off the line, and when leaving in second gear will bark the tires violently when hitting second. I've never had any lincoln LS hang any where close too me. I'm a ford guy, but could not resist a 2 ton vehicle with this type of performance. Strait line performance....... STS wins every time. Note: I always spanked my boss in his 1997 LS 400.

SOUTHERN STYLE said:
Thanks for your post. Some of these LS owners must have never ran against an STS. I drive a 1995 that will rip the tires up off the line, and when leaving in second gear will bark the tires violently when hitting second. I've never had any lincoln LS hang any where close too me. I'm a ford guy, but could not resist a 2 ton vehicle with this type of performance. Strait line performance....... STS wins every time. Note: I always spanked my boss in his 1997 LS 400.

It's extremely easy to get a FWDer to "rip the tires". I could do it in my 1986 Sable all the time. It's simple physics. When the weight is transfered from the front to the rear in hard, off the line maneuvers, the front end lifts, transfering weight away from the driving wheels, and it's easy to spin the weight-freed tires. Doing the same thing in a RWD car, the weight is transfered TO the driving wheels, making a spin much harder.

I like the STS but I think the LS is much better alround. Yea you may take me in a straight line, but lets see you on a nice curvy road. I just prefer handling over straight line speed more. And yes, its very easy to bust a fwd tires free. My '88 z24 used to do it no problem in 1st, going into 2nd and 3rd. My '03 cavalier was the same way, why brag about breaking loose anyway, in a straight line race traction is what matters. I could see two punks talking about a the race they just had , "hey man, I beat your a$$." "Yea so, I was busting loose through 3rd, that is what is important yo." :).

Anywho, I'd take an STS and LS, LS for fun and STS for taking me to work and places I do not want my LS to sit outside at and rainy days.

Scryer_360 said:
OF course, an 300C SRT8 will smash both of em:p

And my Cobra will eat the SRT8 for breakfast with enough left over for lunch too...but what has that got to do with this thread????

SOUTHERN STYLE said:
Thats a really slow car(ls 400)I like the STS but I think if the STS rips its wheels, the LS would win. I have driven a sts but it didn't spin when shifting from 1-2.I didn't even feel the shift that much,it was really smooth on the shift so I don't if it could rip its wheels:confused:

Back to the original post - a 2000 STS cannot be compared in any measure to the LS - it is simply comparing two cars that are from different eras. The 2000 STS is from the 'old' American Lux car era - while the LS was a completely redesigned platform to go after the best in category of european sedans. Remember, the LS won Car of the Year, the 3.9L won the Top 10 Engines award. The 'spare no expense' style of the initial design actually ended up hurting the car as the platform could not be reused (cheaply) and trying to change the 'old' American Lux culture all by itself failed.

Cadillac has improved tremendously and is now competing in that market were the LS failed - but the 2000 STS is not competition in any shape.

Midas78 said:
Going from 60 to 90, (once the person in the passing lane moves to the right) and not even realizing it until I look at the speedometer. (Then I slow down.) The quality -smoothness of acceleration, the leather- for the price is unreal. :)

you said it... the ls might not take off quick (as quick) but once this thing gets moving it moves...

Well, the current STS (V8) has 40 more horsepower than the LS. But both your friend's STS and the LS model year you're looking for are pretty old, so... I'd say the LS. The STS V8 also starts at about $2,000 less than a LS with every available option.

I looked at the STS and the LS. I stopped looking at the STS when I found my 5spd LS. But before I kept going back to what has been stated above, REARWHEEL DRIVE. The STS and the LS are similar in cornering and wheight and most othe performance factors, BUT the LS will get off the line and out of the corner quicker. Plus nothing beats the predictability of the LS. After of week of driving and pushing it to its limit you will know what the car will do in almost any situation. The LS is fun fast and has better real world driving performance than the STS. PAper facts are a good starting place but at some point you will have to drive both to see that there is only one choice.

2001LS8Sport said:
And my Cobra will eat the SRT8 for breakfast with enough left over for lunch too...but what has that got to do with this thread????

Not to re-hijack this thread - BUT even if you have a 03-04 SC Cobra, you will not destroy an SRT8. :slap: Of course, this assumes you are comparing stock vs. stock. You would only have a slight edge if you hit every gear change perfectly. :F

Back to your regularly scheduled thread topic.

Members online

No members online now.
Back