LS owners with subs in the trunk come in....

blacked03ls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So im puttin my old system in the new ls (12'' alpine x-type) pretty much pushin it to the max. Have you all dynomatted your trunk? and is that the only place you did dynomatt? Has anyone heard what it sounds like with out getting the dynomatt done? just curious i want to know what the best way to do this b4 i go about it.

I have two Fi 12 Qs in the back, with everything "dynomatted." I didn't use dynomat because its pretty overpriced for what you get, so I ended up going with secondskins product. Anyways, you probably don't need to do the WHOLE trunk; the only reason I did mine was because I did a custom install and had to recarpet everything anyways. If your only putting in your two subs, then I wouldn't spend the extra money/time to do the doors unless you upgrade your front/rears. You'll be surprised at what Lincoln has between the doors, its ALOT better than what you will find in most cars in the same field as the LS. As far as hearing it with and without dynomat, my opinion will be biased because I went from a sealed to a ported box at the same time, but it made a huge difference in my case and now I can turn up my music without having to worry about annoying other people.

i dont want to hijack the thread, but how much did the box cost you? is it a box that sits between the strut towers?

I haven't dynamatted anything in mine. I'm running two 12" Kicker CompVR's. I think the only place I've got a slight rattle is on the top of the trunk lid. There is some play between that and the stamped braces underneath.

o3sonicbluexlt said:
i dont want to hijack the thread, but how much did the box cost you? is it a box that sits between the strut towers?

To be honest I couldn't tell you, we had alot of the materials in the first place so there wasn't much to buy. I wouldn't think it would cost you more than 30-40 bucks to buy everything you would need. The box fits right in between the struts and theres a fiberglass panel so you can see the inside and the subs.

What are the type-x subs rated at? If your worried about rattling it may not be an issue if your not putting that much power to them. I have around 1000 going to each sub and the rattling was really bad, but like mharrison said it may not be so bad in some cases. If your looking to improve the actual sound, I think it can give you an increase of up to 3-4 dB varying on your setup.

I am all about sound quality. Because of this, I dynamat everything, I have heard my friend lss without some type of dynamat and they sound like @ss to me. Most of my trunk is dynamated as you can even see a little that I have to clean off of my trunk lid. Just did the tvs and the new carpet doesnt quite cover it all like the oem carpet did.

View attachment 23714

View attachment 23715

View attachment 23716

Last edited:
I don't mean to come off rude, but is there a purpose at all for having two TV's in your trunk? Other than that nice setup, looks really clean. What kind of subs are you those back there?

All show. Now that I have a company vehicle for work, that leaves this one to play with. My whole system is Pioneer except for my amp. Sometimes I wonder why I spent so much time and money, but I need a hobby and its fun. I do pretty much all of the work, so its not as much as most people think. Soon I will be buying a house and my hobby will be changing. Only thing is a house makes money, my car only spends money.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2182616

i'm running 1 Kicker L7 15'' to the max vented box, haven't dynomatted anything, since i've hooked it up some rattles have gone away but there is a horrible rattle at or around 52 hertz right in the center of the trunk lid. i am definately gonna do the entire trunk though when i get around to it

I have a 1 Alpine Type X 12" with the Alpine MRD-M1005. Without Dynamat it sounds like sh!t from the outside. I suggest get Dynamat. Late.

I say it depends on ur LS and the type of sound u want..

if u have the regular sport package w/o the chrome trim or if u have an LSE u can get away with only doing the trunk lid because ur only going to get rattle from the license plate.. if u want u can place dynamat behind the license place and maybe fix that problem.. it also depends how much power ur running..

if u have the chrome package with the chrome strip on the bumper ur going to need more dynanat.. the chrome strip is clipped on and rattles if u have bass..

also remember that the peice that the license plate holds on too is a thin plastic.. if u bass too hard it will break.. (mine did...)

hope that was helpful...

one funny thing on this topic - I blow more rear light bulbs than I used to after installing the 1000w 2x12" subs in the trunk. The only thing I can think of is the vibration....

I have 3 layers of "Phatmat" on my whole trunk and it made a HUGE difference. The sound quality was excelent and you could definently tell a pretty good change in spl also. Nothing really rattles on my car anymore, but the trunk lid flexes a lot and it doesnt sound none too good from the outside. I would suggest before doing sound dampening that you spray a SMALL ammount of expanding foam in between the sheet metal of the trunk and the braces. You dont want too much tho because it can expand too much and mess up your trunk lid. I would DEFINENTLY suggest sound deadening the whole trunk.

You said you didnt use dynomat but used something called second skin. what is that i am planning on dynomatting the left and right side and trunk lid of my continental. I have 2 JLW3V2D4's i put a Memphis PR300.2 on them but now have a PR500.1 on them and it sound real good but that rattle sucks ass. But before i do my custom box which will have 1 RE Sx15" ported on a Memphis 2000wtt MoJo amp i want to at least get that rattle undercontrol. So can you tell me before i get the dynomat what is this second skin.

mont said:
I have two Fi 12 Qs in the back, with everything "dynomatted." I didn't use dynomat because its pretty overpriced for what you get, so I ended up going with secondskins product. Anyways, you probably don't need to do the WHOLE trunk; the only reason I did mine was because I did a custom install and had to recarpet everything anyways. If your only putting in your two subs, then I wouldn't spend the extra money/time to do the doors unless you upgrade your front/rears. You'll be surprised at what Lincoln has between the doors, its ALOT better than what you will find in most cars in the same field as the LS. As far as hearing it with and without dynomat, my opinion will be biased because I went from a sealed to a ported box at the same time, but it made a huge difference in my case and now I can turn up my music without having to worry about annoying other people.

Just my own $0.02... and I havn't done anything with the lincoln yet... but I put a bunch of B-Quiet products in my truck; roof, back wall, floor, doors... I did the whole thing except the firewall (didn't want to go through the PITA of pulling the dash off). Let me tell you; I've never heard such an improvement in my life. For me, I had JL components in each door as well as for the rear speakers, JL 10's, and an autotek amp (not well known and very under-rate) running all of it, with an alpine head unit. In my own opinion, the sound deadening made more of a difference in sound quality and harmonics than the stereo alone.

I don't know exactly what the lincoln has in it from the factory; given how quiet the ride is, I'd guess it's got quite a bit in the passenger compartment. If I were doing it, I'd cover the whole trunk myself and most likly leave it at that unless I started replacing components up front, then it would depend largly on what I find already there.

I am finding when i stand outside my car the sides of my trunk are vibrating alot and the back end around the licence plate rattles alot as well those JL hit hard and i am sure once i put that RE in there it will definitley need to have the trunk deadend. i dont know if i am going to change the door components but may just add to them externally. probably some very small custom pods or something like that. i am currently waiting for the Pioneer AVIC D3 to hit the market i have a pioneer DEH 6800 in it right now. sorry to clip your thread...

NateRW21 said:
Just my own $0.02... and I havn't done anything with the lincoln yet... but I put a bunch of B-Quiet products in my truck; roof, back wall, floor, doors... I did the whole thing except the firewall (didn't want to go through the PITA of pulling the dash off). Let me tell you; I've never heard such an improvement in my life. For me, I had JL components in each door as well as for the rear speakers, JL 10's, and an autotek amp (not well known and very under-rate) running all of it, with an alpine head unit. In my own opinion, the sound deadening made more of a difference in sound quality and harmonics than the stereo alone.

I don't know exactly what the lincoln has in it from the factory; given how quiet the ride is, I'd guess it's got quite a bit in the passenger compartment. If I were doing it, I'd cover the whole trunk myself and most likly leave it at that unless I started replacing components up front, then it would depend largly on what I find already there.

StincolnLincoln said:
You said you didnt use dynomat but used something called second skin. what is that i am planning on dynomatting the left and right side and trunk lid of my continental. I have 2 JLW3V2D4's i put a Memphis PR300.2 on them but now have a PR500.1 on them and it sound real good but that rattle sucks ass. But before i do my custom box which will have 1 RE Sx15" ported on a Memphis 2000wtt MoJo amp i want to at least get that rattle undercontrol. So can you tell me before i get the dynomat what is this second skin.

It's pretty much a different type of dynomat, everyone will give you a different opinion on it. Alot of my buddies use dynomat and after doing a bit of researching, I decided to go with secondskin. Wanting to be different and trying something new probably had a role in my choice, but from personal experiences I think it does a better job. http://www.secondskinaudio.com/ has more info, dont be scared to email ant and he will let you know what you need to stop the rattles.

hey thanks i will put that link in my favorites and as for the install i see in this thread man i would be sitting outside watching games or playing them like a redneck lmao..out of my trunk.. love that setup.

mont said:
It's pretty much a different type of dynomat, everyone will give you a different opinion on it. Alot of my buddies use dynomat and after doing a bit of researching, I decided to go with secondskin. Wanting to be different and trying something new probably had a role in my choice, but from personal experiences I think it does a better job. http://www.secondskinaudio.com/ has more info, dont be scared to email ant and he will let you know what you need to stop the rattles.

hey man i just put my two 12 audio bahn dub carbon with ma 1200 mono in my LS and it's has the worst rattle comin' from the third brake light.. i tried putin' some sound foam under it, an I put a srew through the bottom of it to secure it better but the thing won't stop rattlin'. anyone else getting antyhing like this??

i've also used the phatmat on my whole car and it made a dramatic improvement on the rattle outside of the vehicle and the inside sounds far more crisp and cleaner. it does however make it sound lower from outside, this is do to all the sound staying inside, but a lot of people like the loud noise outside as well so people turn their heads. if you put the sound-deadening in your car it will sound lower outside but inside it will rattle your head, not trunk, lol. hope that helped

Members online

No members online now.
Back