Looking at buying a 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100

fbird18

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 motorcycle for sale 34,xxx miles. Starts and runs/rides great, The 1100 cc was the largest engine offered this year and is very quick

-The carbs were just rebuilt
-New spark plugs
- New front brake pads and brake fluid flush
-Jardine pipes
-Tank and side covers have been blacked out (removed honda stickers and painted black)

The bike has some scratches and dents around the headlight and gauge area (some of which I have repaired)

102_1903.jpg

102_1906.jpg

102_1908.jpg

This is from his ad. I'm going to look at it tonight. I am going to offer $1600 cash if I like it and see what he thinks. What do you guys think? Does anyone know much about the Shadows'?

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty much a bullet proof bike,it looks clean and well taken care of does he have service records? I would offer him $1200 (just because I like to haggle) the bike is well worth the 1600, its a very small market for that bike.a lot of nitwits would think 34k is a lot of miles but that bike will do 100k easy!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that he is asking $2000 for it. That's why I'm thinking of offering $1600, maybe $1500.

Yeah people seem to get hung up on mileage. If something has been taken care of and continues being taken care of, it will generally last a while. My LS has 143,000 miles on it and is still going strong :) Who knows how many people passed that car up before I bought it with 92,000 mi.

But anyways..... I don't know too much about bikes. My friend has a 97 honda shadow 1100 and I love driving that bike. And I'm more than capable to work on it. I just don't have any experience owning a bike. This would be my first one.

car ,bike its all the same ,motor, gears,clutch just less room to work with on the bike ,but if you do buy it you will need METRIC tools.....oh ya its a Honda not a HD ,gas it up and go

Its a honda....it will run forever.

Look at the fork stops.
Turn the handle bar all the way one way then the other the stops are on the yoke.
If the bike has been down hard you will see it on the stops.

Check for oil on the fork tubes.
If you see any oil rings or excessive oil it will need fork seals.
How are the tires?

I have had tons of bikes.
Were is this one at?
If you want I can look at it if its in the area, Im in Richfield.

It is a big bike to start out on.
Do you have your Motorcycle endorsement?

If not take a riders course and test out on the smaller bikes they use.
This bike would suck to test on.
Offer $1200
Bikes that year are a hard sell.
I bought a 89 cbr 600 for $1200 with only 11k on it last year at this time.
Starter bike for the GF.

but if you do buy it you will need METRIC tools.....oh ya its a Honda not a HD ,gas it up and go

Lucky me, just about everything on the LS is metric! :)

Its a honda....it will run forever.

Look at the fork stops.
Turn the handle bar all the way one way then the other the stops are on the yoke.
If the bike has been down hard you will see it on the stops.

Check for oil on the fork tubes.
If you see any oil rings or excessive oil it will need fork seals.
How are the tires?

I have had tons of bikes.
Were is this one at?
If you want I can look at it if its in the area, Im in Richfield.

It is a big bike to start out on.
Do you have your Motorcycle endorsement?

If not take a riders course and test out on the smaller bikes they use.
This bike would suck to test on.
Offer $1200
Bikes that year are a hard sell.
I bought a 89 cbr 600 for $1200 with only 11k on it last year at this time.
Starter bike for the GF.

No I don't have my license yet, but I do have my permit. And I am pretty comfortable on the bigger bikes. Like I said my friend has a 97 Shadow 1100 and that thing is big (its been customized) and love riding it, he lets me take it out whenever I want.

As far as taking the test, my mom has a 250cc scooter that I can take the test on :). Her and 2 of my friends have used that thing for tests and everyone passed :D.

Thanks for offering to check it out, but I'll be out there by 7 or so tonight looking at it and my other friend who is good with motorcycles is coming with to check it out.

The bike is in burnsville, a little south of you. Do you know what the weather tonight might be like down there? I heard showers possibly....:(

Offer $1100 at that age it's a buck a CC and no more ..

$2000 way too much ...

Nice bike for a scoot around ...

I'm not sure what I'll offer yet. All depends on if I actually like and what kind of shape its in. But definitely not offering close to full asking price.

60% chance of rain.
Good luck, hope you get it for a grand!

I would still take the riders course.
They teach you good stuff.

Looked At It!

So....a little update for anyone who is interested. This is going to be long, but I'm trying to get my frustrations out.

It was raining here all day long across the entire twin cities metro. I drive about 50 miles south from work to home, and another 50 miles south to where he lives to check out this bike, in the rain. He says its in the garage, so at least I can look at it and check it out. I get there about 1 minute after someone else gets there to look at it too! WTF?! Is it wrong to have 2 different people come look at something they might want to buy at the exact same time? Maybe it's just me, but if I make an appointment to drive that far to look at his bike, and show up on time, the seller shouldn't have another "buyer" come by at the same time for the same purpose. It's just sh**ty to do that, IMO.

So we are both checking it out, it's a really nice bike. Kept in really good shape, engine was strong and responsive, very nice all around. It was still raining, but had slowed down to not too bad. I ask the kid if he was gonna take it for a test ride, he says "No, not in the rain". Well I was gonna, so I was glad to know he wasn't going to find out how it rode. Drove it for about 10 minutes, get back soaking wet :), and the kid runs out "Don't put it away, I wanna take it out". Fine, so I leave it running in the driveway a few feet from my car, go back to the garage to talk to the seller, watching the kid back it up to the street. After he backs up enough (so he thought) goes to turn it and accelerate into the street.....can anyone guess what the 'kid' does? Like any stupid kid (he's 18 btw, and I don't care if someone gets offended, kids that age are generally irresponsible and don't have much experience) he lets the clutch out too fast, the bike lurches forward, he freaks out and instead of pulling the clutch back in he gases it!! Facing my car!! The rear tire is spinning wildly now and the bike does a 180 right next to my baby and he drops it right there. I watched the rear tire, as the bike hits the ground, it is spinning on the side of my rear bumper! :mad: Fu*king stupid bit*h kid! We run out and pick the bike up, he's embarrased and swears to pay for any damage to the bike and my car and takes off pretty quick after that. My bumper luckily wasn't too bad. Some scuffing seems to be about it. Should buff out. I think the rain, the water on my bumper, and the wet rubber tire worked to my advantage by providing some lubrication. Could have been worse. The bike though, all the pegs on that side (highway peg, shifter linkage, foot peg, and kickstand) all got bent a little.

Sooooo I ended up offering 1300, he stuck at 1500, and I left saying that I'll call in a week or so and see if it's still for sale. That was my night! :( Oh well, coulda been worse. Hopefully he'll come down and accept 1300. I really liked the bike and for 1300 I would be very happy. Thanks for listening!

:( :mad: :confused: ....kids....

And some of you may or may not remember, I had my front bumper ripped off my car a month and a half ago. Got that fixed and now this. I mean it isn't too bad, but dammit! This stuff only happens to people who really loooove their vehicles. You just can't have nice things, sooner or later it's going to get wrecked...somehow someway.

Wow! That was a pretty crazy turn of events!

In my eyes, you drop a man's bike that is for sale, you buy that bike! He owes you a bumper too!

^ I agree, he should have bought the bike.

What a crazy night.

Ford Nut mentioned to take the course, I second that. I've been riding since I can remember and I've been on the street since I was 16 (13 yrs on street) and I'd recomend that course to anybody and everybody. They really to teach a lot. A lot of the class is dumb but you WILL pick up some good riding tips.

LOL!!!!!!!

Big bike..... shaft drive.... n00b rider....rain... that is an accident nine out of ten times.

Sorry about you car.....that just sucks.
Your dam lucky thats all he hit.

I would look for a different bike.
The owner is a jerk, I wouldn't trust him, or anything he told me about the bike.
Your right, having two people looking at the bike at the same time is Bull$hit.
I would have told him on the spot, and left.

You will find a better deal.

I got this bike last year for $900
Picture002-1.jpg

About five years ago I got this for 1,000

sabre.jpg

You can get a lot of bike for cheap if you hit craigslist often.
Most of the time I am one of the first to call and I go ASAP to get the deal.
Have Cash in hand and be first in line.

But I did drive on of those Yamaha RD's once ... all you needed to do to pull a wheelie was turn the throttle.

Ya, my dad had an RD 400 - didn't do many miles per gallon.

My first bike was a 87 honda rebel 450. It had 175K miles on it when I sold it. They can last for ever. The last bike I had was a 98 shadow 750 ACE. Great bike, wish I still had it.

You will find a good bike for cheap if you keep looking.

Those Sabers are fast ... Loved them ...

I always wanted a small bike to just buzz around with.

Right now only have a Goldwing..

First bike I bought new was a 1982 v45 sabre.
I loved that bike it saw 10,000 rpm on a daily basis and never missed a beat.

The v65 I bought because I always wanted one, tons of power, great cycle.

When I want to buzz around the lakes just for fun I hop on my babes cycle.

600.jpg

CBR 600 got it for 1,200 last spring.

Its like riding a ten speed bike.

Right now I'm Looking for a ST1100 or ST1300 for road use.
Those Wings are great bikes too.

Ah yes the first bike I bought, and the only one I will never sell......dam I am old.

pitbike.jpg

Wow... that is a messed up story.... that kid would have bought my bumper and I would have gotten the police there...

Bikes are fun :). Yeah I bought it last night! Got it for 1300. I kept looking for similar cruisers in that price range, and couldn't find a single one I liked or in that good of shape. The situation on tuesday night was f*cked up, but its fine with me I guess. There really isn't any real damage, and I was able to get it way cheaper than what he was going to settle for. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. I've been waiting here all day at work to get home so I can play with it! :D

And amazingly enough there doesn't seem to be any damage to my bumper either! Don't know why though. I watched the spinning tire bend the plastic bumper in a little bit....don't know why it didn't even scratch it. But I'm happy with that too :)

did I miss something, what situation? any way congrats and good luck with the bike I think you scored!!..its never a bad idea to take a rider saftey lesson.Me, after 35+ yrs of riding am going to the penguine racing school next month ,never to old to learn some new tricks!

Bikes are fun :). Yeah I bought it last night! Got it for 1300. I kept looking for similar cruisers in that price range, and couldn't find a single one I liked or in that good of shape. The situation on tuesday night was f*cked up, but its fine with me I guess. There really isn't any real damage, and I was able to get it way cheaper than what he was going to settle for. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. I've been waiting here all day at work to get home so I can play with it! :D

And amazingly enough there doesn't seem to be any damage to my bumper either! Don't know why though. I watched the spinning tire bend the plastic bumper in a little bit....don't know why it didn't even scratch it. But I'm happy with that too :)

Glad you got it.
If your happy thats all that counts.
I was looking...I am always looking :D
All I saw was 700's or 750's no older 1000 shadows.

Enjoy it!

did I miss something, what situation? any way congrats and good luck with the bike I think you scored!!..its never a bad idea to take a rider saftey lesson.Me, after 35+ yrs of riding am going to the penguine racing school next month ,never to old to learn some new tricks!

Cal. superbike school used to come to Brainerd with a truck load of 600's
I always wanted to do that.
There is always something new to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Back