~*~*~ Lincoln's losing battle to Caddy's

fastmarkviii

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Now dont get me wrong I love my lincoln, but what the hell is the deal with there new line-up? they need to find the balls that they lost in 98 and keep up with the competition, what does lincoln have new to compete with the 400hp cts-v? And even further more the Cadillac xlr? come on someone needs to write a note to them or something:mad:

Looks like Ford is trying to sell more "generic" type cars to appeal to more people to keep in the black.

Could I use the word "to" any more?

Lincoln needs to listen to those of us that drive Lincoln's and get our opinion as to what we would like to see next!!!!!

pepperman said:
Lincoln needs to listen to those of us that drive Lincoln's and get our opinion as to what we would like to see next!!!!!

but we all know its a vauge possibility.

:I Mysterio505 it's vague possibilty but IMO thats what they need to do, instead of trying to go with the flow.

It's not just Lincoln. Ford hasn't produced a motor to compete with GM, Mopar, and others in a long time. Hell, GM puts LSx motors in all kinds of cars. Mopar puts Hemi motors making big power in plenty of cars too.

Ford, well...

:(

Dr. Paul said:
It's not just Lincoln. Ford hasn't produced a motor to compete with GM, Mopar, and others in a long time. Hell, GM puts LSx motors in all kinds of cars. Mopar puts Hemi motors making big power in plenty of cars too.

Ford, well...

the 03 Cobra has a motor that competes with anything from GM. The motor they had in the Lightning as well. Ford decided to use SC instead of NA to keep costs down so they could charge less for the cars - Cobras are less than Vettes, and Lightnings are less than Dodge Viper trucks. So I gotta disagree with you there.

The '03 Cobra is only available in that model.

Same with the lightning.

Let's not forget the GT.

GM/Chrysler put powerful motors in all kinds of cars.

Paul.

Dr. Paul said:
Oh, and the '03 Cobra motor is no match for the LS7.

and your point is? do you want me to drag the motor from the GT into this? Come on man. Ford has motors to match against GM. I don't understand your argument. GM has what, 3 cool rwd platforms? CTS, STS and the Vette? And I guess the GTO. Then there's the pickups. Wow, so that's it for their cool engines. Where are your "all kinds of cars"? I only count 4, and the nice V8 engines are ONLY available in special models, without exception.

Ford has the Cobra, the GT, and had the Lightning - So where is this huge disparity in engines here? You talk like I can go into a Chev dealership and get a sweet V8 in any car, when it's clearly limited to just a few models, special models at that. So really, no difference from Ford....

I guess since there's one more model from GM with a cool V8 option, then I guess that's a huge disparity. I counted the SSR as part of the trucks.

I think also Ford is to busy trying to revive old Names from the 50's like they are doing with the Zephyr. Ford is also trying to sell more luxury cars to the young 20-30 somethings. I think they are concentrating on SHOW and not GO. Not since the 90's have we seen bad ass hot rod cars like the Taurus SHO, (Which by the way I have one of those). Ford has been striking out with some of their models. Case in point, the dreaded Lincoln Blackwood. They got it right when they tried it again with the Mark LT. Although I hate that they used the Mark name. The Mercury Marauder was an awesome car, but in a Grand Marquis body?? Come on now.

pepperman said:

why should lincoln cater to you, you already have brand loyalty?

btw...the marauder was awesome on the marquis body. So perfect. bring all your friends, have ample power to do doughnuts, go crusin and pick up the honnies, and go home all on 1/2 tank of gas. (see my post in anything goes about the marauder with the VT engine, thats a marauder thats straight from the depths of hell)

GMAN said:
I think also Ford is to busy trying to revive old Names from the 50's like they are doing with the Zephyr. Ford is also trying to sell more luxury cars to the young 20-30 somethings. I think they are concentrating on SHOW and not GO. Not since the 90's have we seen bad ass hot rod cars like the Taurus SHO, (Which by the way I have one of those). Ford has been striking out with some of their models. Case in point, the dreaded Lincoln Blackwood. They got it right when they tried it again with the Mark LT. Although I hate that they used the Mark name. The Mercury Marauder was an awesome car, but in a Grand Marquis body?? Come on now.

sorry but I would hardly call a sho a hot rod

Dr. Paul said:

Ford, well...

yeah hemi's have the horse power, but from the engine to the tires the power disappears, thats y they run 15's and 16's (for the most part)

I work at a chrysler dealership and the 300 trannies with the hemi and awd dont like to hold up too well....

The Mark LT really missed the mark in my opinion, pun intended. An F150 King Ranch is a better, more luxurious truck.

The SHO was kick ass for its time.

Lincoln is lagging behind Cadillac big time, and I blame the of the rest of Ford's PAG. Personally I think it's a shame, I miss the days of Eldo VS Mark and Fleetwood Brougham vs Town Car.

yeah I like those days to, the mark killed the eldo, and the towncar was hands down better than the fleetwood. but what now a zephyr vs. a xlr? and a ls vs. a cts-v? hmmm thats a hard 1, lets bring that to the track, its a disgrace, they need to take that mark 9 prototype, mix it with there mark 10 idea as well, throw 400 horsepower into it maybe a 40 valve 4.6:D, with some optional with a superharger and we'll be in bizzz, until than get used to losing on the street (not all of us, but most) to the new breed of caddys:mad:

Power cars don't sell. Every CAR that GM has put the LS-series V8 into has either been discontinued due to poor sales, or is simply made in very limited numbers.

Lincoln listens to the opinions of people who would BUY new Lincolns, not people who drive old ones.

Hemi cars are no big deal at all. Everything they put the Hemi in either weighs 4100 lbs. or is a truck. I've been raced by Hemis before and beaten them by a little, and I don't even have any heavy mods at all.

Lexus and Acura proved that a car doesn't need to have any balls to sell itself off as a luxury car, and that appears to be the route that Lincoln is taking.

Dominus said:
Power cars don't sell. Every CAR that GM has put the LS-series V8 into has either been discontinued due to poor sales, or is simply made in very limited numbers.

Lincoln listens to the opinions of people who would BUY new Lincolns, not people who drive old ones.

Hemi cars are no big deal at all. Everything they put the Hemi in either weighs 4100 lbs. or is a truck. I've been raced by Hemis before and beaten them by a little, and I don't even have any heavy mods at all.

Lexus and Acura proved that a car doesn't need to have any balls to sell itself off as a luxury car, and that appears to be the route that Lincoln is taking.

Ahhh..., so true, so true.

Preach on Brother Dominus!

Dominus said:
Power cars don't sell.
Huge powe cars sell in limited numbers. And how many CTS Cadillac's were sold, or just noticed, because of the avaialbe CTS-V model that is drool worthy?

Powerful models bring attention. Outside of this community, virtually no one I know could tell you anything about the Lincoln line-up. Yet they know that the Cadillac's are fast and cool. The XLR spot during the superbowl sold a lot of Cadillacs. Lincoln has no identity. And this new "all-letter" naming strategy only further makes them bland. I wish they'd go "retro" with them. I thought high powered Mark or Zephyr would have been great. The Mark has a great heritage, and the Zephry was reknown as the bootlegers car of choice for outrunning the police.

As mentioned before, just like Chysler and Cadillac, you offer high powered limited edition cars to sell the V-6 models.

This isn't a fair statement. The japanese luxury cars, some even powered by V-8s, are FAST and very well built. That's why I was so enthused by the possible Acura/Lincoln joint Mark IX idea.

torquemonkey said:
Looks like Ford is trying to sell more "generic" type cars to appeal to more people to keep in the black.

Could I use the word "to" any more?

this is no new thing think back to get, that how ford became what it was by sell cars than every man could own . When on the rich could own a car . the model T

67Continental said:
and your point is? do you want me to drag the motor from the GT into this?

Sure, I mean, after all, that motor only costs ~$35,000. :shifty:

Come on man. Ford has motors to match against GM.

There's no more '03/'04 Cobras on the lot. Lightning is gone. Well, we could go buy a GT I guess. I've got $150K laying around that I don't need...

I don't understand your argument. GM has what, 3 cool rwd platforms? CTS, STS and the Vette? And I guess the GTO. Then there's the pickups. Wow, so that's it for their cool engines.

Ford has... um... Well there's the Mustang (which is slow)... and... uh..

Where are your "all kinds of cars"? I only count 4, and the nice V8 engines are ONLY available in special models, without exception.

See above.

Ford has the Cobra, the GT, and had the Lightning - So where is this huge disparity in engines here?

Ford has neither the cobra nor the lightning, and the GT is so far out of even most affluent people's price range that is borders on absurdity to even mention it.

When the new Shelby becomes available, it will be fast - but still out-done by the corvette (naturally aspirated). :(

You talk like I can go into a Chev dealership and get a sweet V8 in any car, when it's clearly limited to just a few models, special models at that. So really, no difference from Ford....I guess since there's one more model from GM with a cool V8 option, then I guess that's a huge disparity. I counted the SSR as part of the trucks.

See above.

The worst part of this?

I'm a Ford guy

I've owned seven 5.0 Mustangs in one form or another, two Lincoln Mark VIIs, and two Lincoln Mark VIIIs. I've never owned another brand of vehicle.

I'm part of the group let down when Ford falls behind other manufacturers in the performance arena. Sh!t, a new Mustang can get whacked by a Neon with the proper mods, and the Neon is cheaper!

What a sad state of affairs it is these days for Ford Performance. What's worse, is that GMs financial troubles will probably result in the demise of a solid chunk of their performance division, and rising gas prices due to speculation will probably quash what's left.

Paul.

My dad's Chrysler 300 AWD 5.7L runs low 14's/high 13's bone stock... And ford's motor's can compete with anyone the new lightning V8 is gonna push 550 HP And we can't forget about the Ford GT... There is no other car made in the same price range as the new Mustang GT's that will get you that much speed stock... Ford is doing great I think they just need to give Lincoln something to work with!

Calabrio said:
Huge powe cars sell in limited numbers. And how many CTS Cadillac's were sold, or just noticed, because of the avaialbe CTS-V model that is drool worthy?

Probably not as much as simply giving them a product that they actually want, rather than a product to aspire for. We've seen this time and time again with the Lexus brand. They don't have anything even worth mentioning in a sentence at all and the ES330s fly off the lot.

Powerful models bring attention. Outside of this community, virtually no one I know could tell you anything about the Lincoln line-up. Yet they know that the Cadillac's are fast and cool. The XLR spot during the superbowl sold a lot of Cadillacs. Lincoln has no identity. And this new "all-letter" naming strategy only further makes them bland. I wish they'd go "retro" with them. I thought high powered Mark or Zephyr would have been great. The Mark has a great heritage, and the Zephry was reknown as the bootlegers car of choice for outrunning the police.

All letter naming strategies make a car company bland? STS? CTS? XLR? SRX?

The Zephyr name was dropped because nobody knows what the hell a Zephyr is. It isn't well known for anything at all.

The Superbowl ad may have sold a lot of Cadillacs, but look at GM's profit margins and then get back to me about the success of Cadillac. :shrug:

As mentioned before, just like Chysler and Cadillac, you offer high powered limited edition cars to sell the V-6 models.

How about a car that people want, instead of a car people don't really like, and then a halo car that they can imagine themselves riding in?

This isn't a fair statement. The japanese luxury cars, some even powered by V-8s, are FAST and very well built. That's why I was so enthused by the possible Acura/Lincoln joint Mark IX idea.

What fast luxury car do the Japanese make? What V8 powered Japanese car isn't a total luxo barge that is barely adequately powered at best?

Yes, they are very well built, which is where I think Lincoln is going. That's how the Germans got their dominance in the luxury category as well. It wasn't because of AMGs and M-series cars. It was because people liked the car that they actually had parked in their driveway.

Members online

No members online now.
Back