~*~*~ Lincoln's losing battle to Caddy's

Dominus said:
What fast luxury car do the Japanese make? What V8 powered Japanese car isn't a total luxo barge that is barely adequately powered at best?

The G35, while not V8 powered, is a nicely fast luxury car. The GS from Lexus is a nicely fast luxury car as well, and can be had V8 powered.

I agree with you on your other points tho.

why is a ford gt even being mentioned? who in here can honestly afford one of those? (with out any problem, just go and pick 1 up over a weekend) I am speaking of the actual cars in the middle class buying range, around--$18,000 -$45,000 not expensive a$$ stuff

fastmarkviii said:
why is a ford gt even being mentioned? who in here can honestly afford one of those? (with out any problem, just go and pick 1 up over a weekend) I am speaking of the actual cars in the middle class buying range, around--$18,000 -$45,000 not expensive a$$ stuff

How much does a CTS-V cost?

EDIT: They start at 52,000... start

THIS IS GREAT!
You guys could be sitting around a table at a diner in 1937. Times have not changed! The same argument for over a hundred years.
The big three have always leap frogged each other. The 55 Chevy so new in 1955 and out of date by 1957. Lincoln built the Mark 2 and the Eldorado was GM's answer. No more Mark for how long? It is just the way it is!
I love this stuff,
Raoul

67Continental said:
The G35, while not V8 powered, is a nicely fast luxury car. The GS from Lexus is a nicely fast luxury car as well, and can be had V8 powered.

I agree with you on your other points tho.

Yes, 14 second cars indeed, but hardly carrying the power to be halo cars. They are no faster than a regular Hemi car, just sporty.

Even then, you don't aspire to own a G35, you simply get a G35. The GS is a regular rpoduction model too. No halo involved, and neither is sold primarily on horsepower.

fastmarkviii said:
yeah I like those days to, the mark killed the eldo, and the towncar was hands down better than the fleetwood.

Now I wouldn't say that. In the 80s the Mark VII killed the Eldo, the 93+ Eldo and Mark VIII are very comparable. Through the 80s the Town Car and Brougham were fairly comparable, until the 93-96 Fleetwood which killed the Town Car. In the past the two brands were nice and competitive, which is why I'm a fan of both.

Dominus said:
The Superbowl ad may have sold a lot of Cadillacs, but look at GM's profit margins and then get back to me about the success of Cadillac. :shrug:

Cadillac is the one real bright spot GM has, it's keeping GM from being even farther in the red. Look at Cadillac's sales numbers from, pre art&science and pre V-series compared to now.

Dominus said:
Power cars don't sell. Every CAR that GM has put the LS-series V8 into has either been discontinued due to poor sales, or is simply made in very limited numbers.

Inspired styling and available powerful variants is what sells a car. The CTS with the V and the 300 with the C & SRT-8 are perfect examples here. The Japanese are selling on their reputation from the 90s at this point.

KainDTE said:
How much does a CTS-V cost?

EDIT: They start at 52,000... start

Which, in it's segment, is quite the bargain.

MediumD said:
Cadillac is the one real bright spot GM has, it's keeping GM from being even farther in the red. Look at Cadillac's sales numbers from, pre art&science and pre V-series compared to now.

Are they even close to recovering their position as the class leader in America? No. Art & Science was definitely a good thing for them. Most people don't even know what in the hell a V-Series is, so I don't think it has helped them at all. For the life of me, I did not even know what a V-Series was until I read about it in Motor Trend, aside from the fact that it went "to sixty in under 5".

Inspired styling and available powerful variants is what sells a car. The CTS with the V and the 300 with the C & SRT-8 are perfect examples here. The Japanese are selling on their reputation from the 90s at this point.

The 300C and SRT-8 are selling on their reputation from the 60s at this point. How many 1960s names (and corresponding styles) have we seen resurrected for the LX chassis? I can name at least 6 right off the top of my head.

Ford/Lincoln IMO is definately going towars marketing to young people. On the Lincoln side, it is because of us, people in forums like this one that really bring out our cars. Now, our two most popular forum sections, Mark VIII, and LS have discontinued cars. Now that the LS is newly discontinued it will become more plentiful for others to get one. The chapter has yet to be written on the Zephyr, however this is the first time that Ford has offered the same car in three different brands, Ford Fusion, and Mercury Milan. This is a page out of the GM book. There is also talk that Ford may be discontinuing the Town Car, and bringing back a version of the Continental to compete with the DTS.
Lincoln_Continental_Concept_0014_medium.jpg

This car is based on technology built by Volvo. Whether or not this works for them, that remains to be seen

I have seen quite a few cts-v's out here in New Mexico, however I never saw them in florida, damn that will be gay if they get rid of the town car, the continetal is like the weakest lincoln out, lets just pray the mark 9 comes out!!!!!!!

pepperman said:
Lincoln needs to listen to those of us that drive Lincoln's and get our opinion as to what we would like to see next!!!!!
The thing is, most of us drive older lincolns and would most likely NOT be able to purchase one of the high dollar performance vehicles.

MarkVIII93 said:
The thing is, most of us drive older lincolns and would most likely NOT be able to purchase one of the high dollar performance vehicles.

I agree. None of us would be able to afford Marks if we bought them in the years they were released.

fastmarkviii said:
I have seen quite a few cts-v's out here in New Mexico, however I never saw them in florida, damn that will be gay if they get rid of the town car, the continetal is like the weakest lincoln out, lets just pray the mark 9 comes out!!!!!!!

Please research the origin of the Town Car before making such judgements.

If lincoln ever actually puts a mark 9,10, etc. on the market, they wont sell for crap just like the viii's and most of us will wait 10-15 years to get one that's decently priced for the average car buyer. I will gaurantee that if lincoln does release a new addition to the mark family, it will be at least 10k more than what the viii's cost new.

MarkVIII93 said:
If lincoln ever actually puts a mark 9,10, etc. on the market, they wont sell for crap just like the viii's

i disagree - personal luxury has made a HUGE comeback since thre mid 90's.

Dominus said:
Are they even close to recovering their position as the class leader in America? No. Art & Science was definitely a good thing for them. Most people don't even know what in the hell a V-Series is, so I don't think it has helped them at all. For the life of me, I did not even know what a V-Series was until I read about it in Motor Trend, aside from the fact that it went "to sixty in under 5".

The 300C and SRT-8 are selling on their reputation from the 60s at this point. How many 1960s names (and corresponding styles) have we seen resurrected for the LX chassis? I can name at least 6 right off the top of my head.

As a matter of fact as far as sales numbers go, Cadillac is now third, led by Lexus and BMW in that order. Lincoln is 5th or 6th. Tell BMW, Jag, Audi, and Mercedes that M, R, S, and AMG are a waste of time.

I seriously doubt most people who's buying a 300 even knows there was a 300 series back in the day.

MediumD said:
As a matter of fact as far as sales numbers go, Cadillac is now third, led by Lexus and BMW in that order. Lincoln is 5th or 6th. Tell BMW, Jag, Audi, and Mercedes that M, R, S, and AMG are a waste of time.

M, R, S, and AMG are not wastes of time. They are a nice thing to have, but they simply do are not sales drivers. Mercedes, Jag, BMW, and Audi would not tank tomorrow without these models.

I seriously doubt most people who's buying a 300 even knows there was a 300 series back in the day.

Chrysler has done a fine job of reminding anyone who doesn't. It's no coincidence that is is the 300C instead of the 300N. Then again, much of the 300's customer base is baby boomer age and above, so they probably already knew.

Members online

No members online now.
Back