Lincoln Mark VIII Front Air Spring/Shocks NOT STRUTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
:shifty: I, MERIJONS97LSC, On this day of our Lord, September 1, 2007, As President of the "I don't care what you say I know I'm right Club" Has issued this Decree: From this day forward LVC member, Thaywood, Shall have the user nick name ,"NOSTRUT".
All in favor, Say " I "......:D

Ummm, this thread was almost entertaining- Not without some education and down right better than a sharp stick in the eye. I respect your opinion regarding imports. With that being said and all due respects paid (namaste)... DILLIGAF?

Oh, for a bit more fuel to the fire; Here is a pic of a Strut that I extensively use...

strut.gif

Ok;

Don't squat with your spurs on.
Don't pee into the wind.
Never argue with the cook.
A happy Wife makes for a happy life.
Torching off 30 years of grease and road debris, off a drive line, is a heck of a lot faster and more fun than spending twenty dollars on cleaner at the car wash.

:cool:

Can't believe this thread has as many posts ...

Torque if anyone could have some wise wisdom...

OK!.....Man who post's on thread who can't believe has many posts, Continues thread for many posts!:eek: ;) :p :D

An agreeable thread is like the 1/4 mile drag race, But, An argumentative thread is like the daytona 500!

Man who got hump on trunk, always have power under hood!

The sad part of this is I needed one or many of your inputs as I was trying to replace my air compressor yesterday and no one posted any help to me. It looks like everyone who was on this board yesterday was on this posting.:(

The sad part of this is I needed one or many of your inputs as I was trying to replace my air compressor yesterday and no one posted any help to me. It looks like everyone who was on this board yesterday was on this posting.:(

What ar you talking about?....you had 7 members reply, several times with alot of information: PEPPERMAN, MRZEEE,MESPOCK,1WYKDMD8,BILLCU,NK121 and CALABRIO.

Out of the seven, only two members replied to this thread, As for me I couldn't help you, Because I don't know how to help with the compressor.

I'm sure you didn't leave this message on all the other thread that were posted!

By the way this thread was posted 6 days after yours!

I couldn't help you with removing your compressor, by taking off the bumper, because I've never done it that way.:) It sounds like a pain in the ass that way.:)

As far as this thread goes, in the future, I'll call them Airspring/Shock Absorbers.:D

I give up. You win. Ford is wrong and they should correct their service manuals and call them McPherson struts instead of AIR SPRING AND SHOCK ASSEMBLIES!!!. And in order to make it a "true" McPherson strut suspension, I will proceed to disconnect my Mark VIII's upper control arms and throw them away, since McPherson strut suspensions don't have them. Unfortunately, I will not be able to drive my car. Bummer.

Definition of a Strut:

Strut:

1) A single, self contained pivoting suspension unit that integrates a coil spring (or air spring) with a shock absorber.

2) A structural member, especially as part of a framework, used to stiffen, give strength or carry weight.

3) A bar that connects the lower control arm to the car frame; used when the lower control arm is attached to the frame at only one point.

4) A air strut, Chapman strut, damper strut, gas prop.

And the definition of MacPherson Strut (again your definition is wrong):

MacPherson strut:

A suspension piece which employs a coil spring (or air spring) and shock absorber attached to the lower A-arms and the top of the front body structure. Originally it had a lateral link with an anti-roll bar instead of the lower A-arm. It was first invented by a Ford of England engineer, Earle S. MacPherson.

As per the definitions it does not matter if the vehicle has an upper control arm or not.

I give up. You win. Ford is wrong and they should correct their service manuals and call them McPherson struts instead of AIR SPRING AND SHOCK ASSEMBLIES!!!. And in order to make it a "true" McPherson strut suspension, I will proceed to disconnect my Mark VIII's upper control arms and throw them away, since McPherson strut suspensions don't have them. Unfortunately, I will not be able to drive my car. Bummer.

I do not recall anyone saying it is a MacPherson strut assembly. The set up is SLA. I do not see what the big deal is with calling the shock assembly the 'strut' part.

What ar you talking about?....you had 7 members reply, several times with alot of information: PEPPERMAN, MRZEEE,MESPOCK,1WYKDMD8,BILLCU,NK121 and CALABRIO.

Out of the seven, only two members replied to this thread, As for me I couldn't help you, Because I don't know how to help with the compressor.

I'm sure you didn't leave this message on all the other thread that were posted!

By the way this thread was posted 6 days after yours!

I was in the middle of replacing it yesterday, Saturday and I really needed help from some of you who I am sure have replaced the air compressor. Did I need to post a new subject to get help? I was under the impression that it updated as I continued posting in it? If that was not the case, then I apologize for not posting a new topic....

Tomato ~ Tamato... pet peeves, panties in a wad...whatever. As long as the parts man gets it right.

turn_on68- perhaps a bit more coordination (group in the chat forum) or phone calls may be in order to be productive and save some time (and pain relievers). Speaking from experience, a 3 way call can do wonders. A few PMs before your next project and enrolling some support is easy in this crowd. As you have seen, some of us have plenty of time on our hands...lol.:p

I was in the middle of replacing it yesterday, Saturday and I really needed help from some of you who I am sure have replaced the air compressor. Did I need to post a new subject to get help? I was under the impression that it updated as I continued posting in it? If that was not the case, then I apologize for not posting a new topic....

Must be a newbie. This forum is not here to cater to your EVERY need. We are here to provide advice at free will and you can take such advice as you see fit.

A smart person gathers all the info they need before starting a project. It called being prepared. If you run into a problem you take that into account, for example you dont start a project that could disable your vehicle and hour before you have to go to work. You ask, you plan and you do it. You also need mechanical skill. If you cant find a bolt, you have no mechanical skill.

No one ever said it was one. And I told you to remove the air shock assembly since your that one saying its not a strut. Good day!

Tomato ~ Tamato... pet peeves, panties in a wad...whatever. As long as the parts man gets it right.

turn_on68- perhaps a bit more coordination (group in the chat forum) or phone calls may be in order to be productive and save some time (and pain relievers). Speaking from experience, a 3 way call can do wonders. A few PMs before your next project and enrolling some support is easy in this crowd. As you have seen, some of us have plenty of time on our hands...lol.:p

I honestly thought I had all the bases covered. I had spoken with a person on this site by phone who said to remove the front bumper cap. Nothing about removing headlights to get to the push pins that held it in place on each side,he has only done it on the thru 96 model not the '97 '98, or to remove the front wheel also to have both front and rear access to the compressor and the bolts that hold it in place.
Any way I got it done and it works. Oh by the way, I can turn a wrench with the best of you.:p

Hmmmm... I love it ....

Oh turn on... there is a feature called search .... (oops a frogmanism LOL)...

I mean Private Message you can always use that feature. Look at the bottom of the main forum page to see who is on line at that time. I was busy yesterday got on for a few min at night but that was it.

Draw some attention if you need some help right now. Like post a thread saying I NEED HELP NOW...

There are so many threads about the the air ride system. If you have ever read any of my posts about the air ride system I say Call Eddie Spinks. I have posted his web address and phone number many time. I've told people that he will talk you through any problem, that he will return phone messages fast.

This is Eddie's profession he is a trained Ford Tech on the Air Ride System.

Oh and Eddie calls them Struts also... LOL.... But who cares...

Oh Damn my Marks quit working because I called their air shocks struts... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back