Lincoln Mark VIII Front Air Spring/Shocks NOT STRUTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaywood

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to post a thread of my own about the front suspension of the 1993-1998 FN10 Lincoln Mark VIII. There seems to be a very popular and widespread misconception that the Mark VIII has "struts" in its front suspension. This is not the case. The Lincoln Mark VIII has what is commonly referred to as an "SLA" or Short-Long-Arm front suspension. This is in essence an "upper and lower control arm" suspension. The simple fact that the suspension uses an "upper control arm" negates the use of a strut in this application. In a strut suspension, the strut itself acts as the upper suspension locating link. There is no upper control arm in a strut suspension. Therefore the Mark VIII does NOT use struts in front. The Ford service manual calls them "Air Spring/Shock Absorber Assemblies", not struts. At least Ford knows the difference between shocks and struts, if nobody else does. I am a mechanic, and have been working on cars for most of my life. I have seen every kind of suspension system known to man. And the Mark VIII definitely does not use struts. If you need a comparison to tell the difference between a strut and an air spring/shock, or a coil-over shock for that matter, look at the Fox platform Lincoln Mark VII. It was based upon what is essentially a slightly larger Mustang chassis. Take the front wheel off and look at the suspension. There is a lower control arm, an air spring mounted to the lower arm, and a McPherson strut connecting the spindle to the shock tower under the hood. There is no upper control arm. That is a strut. A strut mounts directly to the spindle and acts as a suspension locating link. The air spring/shock on a Mark VIII mounts to the lower control arm and does not act as a suspension locating link. It acts only as a damper. It carries no lateral loads, only vertical loads. A strut is a lateral and vertical load bearing suspension member. That means that is carries the side-to-side loads as well as the up-and-down loads. This is a fact, not an opinion. Anyone who says that the Lincoln Mark VIII has front struts is WRONG. That is the way it is. Just call a Ford dealership and ask them what the service manual calls them. I know this sounds nitpicky, but this is one of my pet peeves. I am all about accruacy. When you work on vehicles, you have to be. And I like to make sure that I know what I am working on. Any mechanic can tell the difference between a strut and a shock. I know I am inviting all kinds of backfires here, so fire away. I'll be happy to back up anything I say with facts and proof. Thank you.

You're on some kind of crusade.

Technical definitions aside, I believe I ordered "air struts" when I replaced mine.

American Air Suspension sells "Air Struts."
http://www.americanairsuspension.com/cart/products.php?cat=3

Arnott Industries sells "Air suspension strut assemblies."
http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_LINCOLN_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid2_pid7.html

Strut Masters sells "Air struts."
http://www.strutmasters.com/catalog.php?cat=15

And I think the Ford part number# lists it as an Air Strut as well.

So, technical definitions aside, the part is called an air strut. Referring to it as anything else only serves to confuse.

You're on some kind of crusade.

Technical definitions aside, I believe I ordered "air struts" when I replaced mine.

American Air Suspension sells "Air Struts."
http://www.americanairsuspension.com/cart/products.php?cat=3

Arnott Industries sells "Air suspension strut assemblies."
http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_LINCOLN_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid2_pid7.html

Strut Masters sells "Air struts."
http://www.strutmasters.com/catalog.php?cat=15

And I think the Ford part number# lists it as an Air Strut as well.

So, technical definitions aside, the part is called an air strut. Referring to it as anything else only serves to confuse.

I would have to agree. It is commonly refered to as a strut by the industry. It even appears to look like a strut. Although the car has UCA & LCA There are always exceptions to the rules.

My Ford work shop manual calls it "an airsping/shock absorber assemble" But all after market sites and even Ford parts counter personnel, Call them struts. The word strut has become common place today! Like the tires on our cars, The word tire refers to the steel ring they used to hold together a wooden wagon wheel, But still today we call our rubber wheels,"tires".

Thanks for educating us yet again on the type of front suspension the Mark VIII has. Many of us know it is an SLA setup and not a mcpherson strut - its obvious. However, by dictionary definition our air spring assemblies could be considered to be struts, of sorts. We could say that it is the 'strut' part of the SLA setup. On another note, i assume your Mark is modified as you list it on your site as having 300hp / 300lbs/ft. You are about accuracy, afterall.

Thanks for educating us yet again on the type of front suspension the Mark VIII has. Many of us know it is an SLA setup and not a mcpherson strut - its obvious. However, by dictionary definition our air spring assemblies could be considered to be struts, of sorts. We could say that it is the 'strut' part of the SLA setup. On another note, i assume your Mark is modified as you list it on your site as having 300hp / 300lbs/ft. You are about accuracy, afterall.

For an English guy you write good American!!:D P.S. We still have to get together! "BEER"

For an English guy you write good American!!:D

Umm... Thanks? Shame no one understands me when i speak! :) Definitely merijon! Im just waiting for a brake booster then i can take a drive down to your place!

This is like calling a AA cell a battery! Or any size for that matter. One "battery" is a cell. When you link together two or more together then you get a battery. But most often people call a single cell a battery as do I.

By your definition, the car can operate without the air shock since, according to you, its not a strut and therefore supports no load.

But I am not sure where you are getting your definition from, but a strut is any structal device subject to compression that is designed to keep two parts apart. The forces can come from and angle, both lateral and horizontal. The strut that support the wings on small planes is a good example. In essence it follows the load path.

This is like calling a AA cell a battery! Or any size for that matter. One "battery" is a cell. When you link together two or more together then you get a battery. But most often people call a single cell a battery as do I.

By your definition, the car can operate without the air shock since, according to you, its not a strut and therefore supports no load.

But I am not sure where you are getting your definition from, but a strut is any structal device subject to compression that is designed to keep two parts apart. The forces can come from and angle, both lateral and horizontal. The strut that support the wings on small planes is a good example. In essence it follows the load path.

The "Automotive" definition of a "Strut" is somewhat different from the structural engineering definition. In the auto industry, a "strut" refers to the commonly used McPherson (front) or Chapman (rear) strut. This is a strut that consists of a shock absorber with a spring mounted on top that is mounted directly to the spindle and handles both the lateral and vertical loads of the front or rear suspension. This strut acts as both a damper and an upper suspension locating link, thus elimitating the upper control arm in conventional SLA suspensions. Therefore, any suspension consisting of an upper and a lower control arm can't have a strut suspension. You can't have a McPherson or Chapman strut if there is an upper control arm. Since the air spring/shock assembly in the Mark VIII is mounted to the lower control arm and not directly to the spindle, it can't be considered a McPherson Strut. It is in fact a shock absorber with an air spring attached. It only handles vertical loads and is not a suspension locating link.

I must however make one observation: the Mark VIII suspension does indeed have a "strut". It is the rod that connects the lower lateral link to the front of the subframe. It is called a "Lower Tension Strut". It is a rigid forged steel rod that prevents fore and aft movement of the lower lateral link in the front suspension.

I realize that this is a slightly petty and somewhat minor gripe and I probably need to shut up about it, but it still irritates me. Mainly because I love my Mark VIII and I wish to make sure that information about this car is relayed with as much accuracy as possible. In my personal opinion, struts should be the domain of cheap Japanese econoboxes, not luxury sport coupes like the Mark VIII. The Mark has a proper upper/lower control arm suspension as it should be. And it uses an air spring and shock absorber assembly, not a cheap, cheesy McPherson strut. Ironically, the first ever use of the McPherson strut was by Ford on the 1949 Vedette in France. It has since become a staple of the cheap car market because it saves money by simplifying the suspension design and eliminating the upper control arm and ball joint. I prefer to believe what the Ford Service manual calls them rather than what uninformed aftermarket vendors prefer to call them. BTW, just to make absolutely sure, I just called my local Ford dealer (Montgomery Motors, Troy NC, 910-572-1351) and their parts order manual lists them as "Spring and Shock Assemblies", $528.81 each new.

I think I'm going to make all you guys happy and "get over it" after this post. I think I have made my point and I know that I am right. I will continue to refer to my air spring/shocks in the correct manner and under no circumstances will I ever call them "struts". My 1987 Mustang had struts. My 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe had struts. The new 2005 and up Mustangs have struts. Just about any FWD car you can name has struts. None of the cars mentioned have upper control arms. The 1984-1992 Mark VII and 1984-1987 Continental had McPherson Struts. The FN10 Mark VIII and MN12 T-Bird and Cougar all have SLA suspensions in front with "Spring and Shock Assemblies".

Thank you.

The "Automotive" definition of a "Strut" is somewhat different from the structural engineering definition. In the auto industry, a "strut" refers to the commonly used McPherson (front) or Chapman (rear) strut. This is a strut that consists of a shock absorber with a spring mounted on top that is mounted directly to the spindle and handles both the lateral and vertical loads of the front or rear suspension. This strut acts as both a damper and an upper suspension locating link, thus elimitating the upper control arm in conventional SLA suspensions. Therefore, any suspension consisting of an upper and a lower control arm can't have a strut suspension. You can't have a McPherson or Chapman strut if there is an upper control arm. Since the air spring/shock assembly in the Mark VIII is mounted to the lower control arm and not directly to the spindle, it can't be considered a McPherson Strut. It is in fact a shock absorber with an air spring attached. It only handles vertical loads and is not a suspension locating link.

I must however make one observation: the Mark VIII suspension does indeed have a "strut". It is the rod that connects the lower lateral link to the front of the subframe. It is called a "Lower Tension Strut". It is a rigid forged steel rod that prevents fore and aft movement of the lower lateral link in the front suspension.

I realize that this is a slightly petty and somewhat minor gripe and I probably need to shut up about it, but it still irritates me. Mainly because I love my Mark VIII and I wish to make sure that information about this car is relayed with as much accuracy as possible. In my personal opinion, struts should be the domain of cheap Japanese econoboxes, not luxury sport coupes like the Mark VIII. The Mark has a proper upper/lower control arm suspension as it should be. And it uses an air spring and shock absorber assembly, not a cheap, cheesy McPherson strut. Ironically, the first ever use of the McPherson strut was by Ford on the 1949 Vedette in France. It has since become a staple of the cheap car market because it saves money by simplifying the suspension design and eliminating the upper control arm and ball joint. I prefer to believe what the Ford Service manual calls them rather than what uninformed aftermarket vendors prefer to call them. BTW, just to make absolutely sure, I just called my local Ford dealer (Montgomery Motors, Troy NC, 910-572-1351) and their parts order manual lists them as "Spring and Shock Assemblies", $528.81 each new.

I think I'm going to make all you guys happy and "get over it" after this post. I think I have made my point and I know that I am right. I will continue to refer to my air spring/shocks in the correct manner and under no circumstances will I ever call them "struts". My 1987 Mustang had struts. My 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe had struts. The new 2005 and up Mustangs have struts. Just about any FWD car you can name has struts. None of the cars mentioned have upper control arms. The 1984-1992 Mark VII and 1984-1987 Continental had McPherson Struts. The FN10 Mark VIII and MN12 T-Bird and Cougar all have SLA suspensions in front with "Spring and Shock Assemblies".

Thank you.

:shifty: Now, After all this taking about the SLA suspension, I think I'll go out and jack up my Mark up and check the struts!:shifty: :D

Examples of "Strut Suspensions".

Strut Suspension 04.jpg

Strut Suspension 03.jpg

Strut Suspension 01.jpg

Examples of "SLA Suspensions"

SLA 03.jpg

SLA 04.jpg

Porsche SLA with Air.jpg

Just for comparison. So you can tell the difference.

Strut Suspension 04.jpg

Strut Suspension 03.jpg

Strut Suspension 01.jpg

SLA 03.jpg

SLA 04.jpg

Porsche SLA with Air.jpg

Notice that the McPherson strut is ALWAYS mounted directly to the spindle in a strut suspension. The sprinig and shock assembly, or coil-over shock is NEVER mounted to the spindle in a conventional upper and lower control arm suspension. That is the difference. That is what makes the difference between a shock and a strut. It is so simple and it is right in front of you. It is obvious!!!

I think everyone realizes what you're saying is true, but no one really cares. Whether it is a strut, an air spring, or a "whatchamacallit that's leaking air under my car" people in the end are going to call it whatever the hell they want. You'll just have to deal with the irritation.

Was this thread even necessary... where's Frogman when you need someone to put things in a true light...

Maybe I'lll go xerox something... wait please don't lecture me on this... I ment to copy or photo copy or is it to :

Xerox Corporation (NYSE: XRX) (name pronounced [ˈziɹ.ɑks]) is a global document management company, which manufactures and sells a range of color and black-and-white printers, multifunction systems, photo copiers, digital production printing presses, and related consulting services and supplies. Xerox is headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, though its largest population of employees is based in and around Rochester, New York, the area in which the company was founded.

Xerox was founded in 1906 as "The Haloid Company",[1] which originally manufactured photographic paper and equipment. The company subsequently changed its name to "Haloid Xerox" in 1958. The company came to prominence in 1959 with the introduction of the first plain paper photocopier using the process of xerography (electrophotography) developed by Chester Carlson, the Xerox 914 [1]. The 914 was so popular that by the end of 1961, Xerox had almost $60 million in revenue. By 1965, revenues leaped to over $500 million. Before releasing the 914, Xerox had also introduced the first xerographic printer, the "Copyflo" in 1955.

The company expanded substantially throughout the 1960s, making millionaires of some long-suffering investors who had nursed the company through the slow research and development phase of the product. In 1960, the "Wilson Center for Research and Technology" was opened in Webster, New York, a research facility for xerography. In 1961, the company changed its name to "Xerox Corporation". Xerox common stock (XRX) was listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 1961 and on the Chicago Stock Exchange in 1990.

In 1963, Xerox introduced the Xerox 813, the first desktop plain-paper copier, bringing Carlson's vision of a copier that could fit on anyone's office desk into a reality. Ten years later in 1973, a color copier followed.

In 1970, under company president Charles Peter McColough, Xerox opened the Xerox PARC (Xerox Palo Alto Research Center) research facility. The facility developed many modern computing methods such as the mouse and the graphical user interface. From these inventions, Xerox PARC created the Xerox Alto in 1973, a small minicomputer similar to a workstation and personal computer. The Alto was never commercially sold, as Xerox itself could not see the sales potential of it. In 1979, several Apple Computer employees, including Steve Jobs, visited Xerox PARC, interested in seeing their developments. Jobs and the others saw the commercial potential of the GUI and mouse, and began development of the Apple Lisa, which Apple introduced in 1983.

The first laser printer was produced by Xerox in 1977 when researcher Gary Starkweather modified a Xerox copier in 1971. Laser printing eventually became a multi billion dollar business for Xerox. It was known as the Xerox 9700.

Xerox later released a similar system to the Alto, the Xerox Star in 1981 as a workstation. It was the first commercial system to incorporate various technologies that today have become commonplace in personal computers, including a bit-mapped display, a window-based GUI, mouse, Ethernet networking, file servers, print servers and e-mail. The Xerox Star, despite its technological breakthroughs, did not sell well due to its high price, costing $16,000 per unit. A typical Xerox Star-based office would have cost $100,000.

In the mid 80s, Apple considered buying Xerox, however a deal was never reached. Apple attempted to adapt the graphical user interface and mouse to a more affordable personal computer, aimed towards the business and education markets. The Apple Macintosh was released in 1984, and was the first personal computer to popularize the GUI and mouse amongst the public, released with the 1984 Super Bowl commercial. In the late 1980s, Xerox sued Apple over their use of the graphical user interface. The Xerox case was dismissed because the three year statute of limitations had passed -- Xerox had waited too long to file a suit.

The company was revived in the 1980s and 1990s, through improvement in quality design and realignment of its product line. Development of digital photocopiers in the 1990s and a revamp of the entire product range—essentially high-end laser printers with attached scanners which were able to be attached to computer networks—again gave Xerox a technical lead over its competitors. Xerox worked to turn its product into a service, providing a complete "document service" to companies including supply, maintenance, configuration, and user support. To reinforce this image, the company introduced a corporate signature, "The Document Company®" above its main logo and introduced a red "digital X®". The "digital X" symbolized the transition of documents between the paper and digital worlds.

In 2000, Xerox acquired Tektronix color printing and imaging division in Wilsonville, Oregon, for US$925 million. This led to the current Xerox Phaser line of products as well as Xerox solid ink printing technology.

In September 2004, Xerox celebrated the 45th anniversary of the Xerox 914. More than 200,000 units were made around the world between 1959 and 1976, the year production of the 914 was stopped. Today, the 914 is part of American history as an artifact in the Smithsonian Institution.

Xerox's turnaround was largely led by Anne M. Mulcahy, who was appointed president in May 2000, CEO in August 2001 and chairman in January 2002. [2] Mulcahy launched an aggressive turnaround plan that returned Xerox to full-year profitability by the end of 2002, along with decreasing debt, increasing cash, and continuing to invest in research and development.

The Flux Capacitor
visit for another fully certifiable example of beebees in action in a flux capacitor.

The collector and the timed switching device are incorporated in the nature of the bee-bees in brine.

In conjunction with a magnetic field and the load, the flux capacitor uses the hierarchical structure of the cosmos as a timer! The trilamination of the tiny spheres with selected metals and their subjection to a magnetic field and current (sustained by the load) destabilizes the orderliness of the proton, the heavier atom and the "tissue" of individual layers of metal. The matter then seeks to re-establish itself in the "fractal set."
The trilamination inserts a "curve" where there ought to be none, between the atomic structure and the next higher context of presence which is normally occupied by living things, beneath the solar niche and within the biospheric niche in a five to eleven dimensional collapsible schema of the universe accounting for all the phenomenon observed by scientists and others.

The nature of the timing is that which accounts for "pulsing", a "throbbing", in some other applications usually associated with creation of light produced in objects which allow angular also linear accelerations, stifled in the beebees. It is not known if there is a pulse associated with this particular flux capacitor.

The beebees occupy the next niche up from the atomic to accommodate the stresses in the atoms which is the twisting, softening or liquifaction of the nuclei of the heavy elements in the trilaminar balls, also the counterrotating trilaminar wheels of an application producing motion. As long as the device is "on", it occupies hyperspace and is an array of functions or an "object", a "thing", in itself.

That liquefaction (phase shift) of the nuclei disqualifies the atoms from their niche in the curvature of space: the Primary universe, this secondary universe containing the familiar galaxies, suns, and lesser bodies, (each a number of subsidiary radians within this secondary universe, itself a second radian out of vacuum; the biosphere, which is a third universe where we see the various phases of matter sharing their respective surfaces as well as changing places (solid, liquie, chemical, gaseous phases, and the "pinioning" atomic scale on the micro side of the human scale, where all flux capacitors are found, in the fourth level of universes, the fourth (pi-eth, we call it) space. The "Fourth Fractal"

No matter what this thread says, its still a strut. It takes load in an attempt to keep two structual parts apart. Pretty plain and simple. Again I ask the poster to remove his front air shocks and see what happens.

No matter what this thread says, its still a strut. It takes load in an attempt to keep two structual parts apart. Pretty plain and simple. Again I ask the poster to remove his front air shocks and see what happens.

If that's true, then the coil (or air) spring would be a "strut" if it were mounted seperately. Any shock absorber, whether a McPherson strut or not, would be a "strut". The spindle holding the upper and lower control arms apart would be a "strut". The point is, in the auto insustry, when someone says "strut", they are referring to the McPherson strut. Not a load bearing member of a structure that keeps two other structures apart. You are talking structural engineering as in bridges, trusses, airplane wings, building frames, etc. We're talking about cars. In cars, a McPherson strut is a suspension locating link as well as a damper, bearing not just the vertical loads, but the horizontal also. An air/coil-over shock is not. It is a damper, thus only bearing the vertical loads. There is a huge difference. Any mechanic or automotive engineer will tell you that. It is just plain rediculously obvious to anyone who knows anything at all about the suspension design of the modern automobile.

Personally, i would consider the shock absorber to be the real misnomer when it comes to correctly naming suspension parts. I suppose i should really call it a damper... Right i think i got it... The tire, suspension medium and seat cushion are the shock absorbers; What we call a shock absorber is the damper and those things we use to clean our windscreens? Haha well, they are dampers too! (they don't resemble 'jets') :) But wait! What am i saying? There is no such thing as a shock absorber! (conservation of energy law) Energy converter... Thats better. Anyone confused? I am! Lol.

The point is, in the auto insustry, when someone says "strut", they are referring to the McPherson strut.

Hehe... um, well, you kinda just contradicted yourself or shall I say the industry is.

In short you are saying the air shock is not a strut, yet you have now said twice "in the auto industry".

So in short you are sorta contradicting yourself. Your saying its not when it is because the auto industry has inappropriately used and classified the word strut.

So its is a strut, but in context of automative talk its not. THAT is what you have said twice now.

So really, don't correct us, go out and correct the industry!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back