Lincoln LS Limited Slip Differential bolt-in...

I heard rumors that a Quaife QDF3W lsd for the jag S type R works since I believe 03+ STR shares the housing with gen 2 LS? I stopped doing research. a bit pricey but less work if it fit.

Gary the parts cost will only consist of a Limited slip differential of your choice and that is it. You reuse your stock CV shafts (axles), stock carrier, and stock ring & pinion gears as well as the shims (if they are in good condition). For a somewhat skilled home mechanic the swap will probably take no longer than 2 hours while screwing around.

The LS diff is 28 spline and the Mark VIII diff's are 28 spline. The 99-01 Cobra's use a 28 spline 8.8" diff too. Stock gearset will be reused unless you are want to swap up to the Gen 2 LS 3.58's. Stock driveshaft reused.

Hello. New member here I have a 2001 LS V8. This is an amazing find I been looking to eliminate my one wheel peel lol. Can you please tell me what year and model fords I can scavage the correct carrier from? Thanks in advance for your reply

cool I want one got any manufacturers nums got the 2002 sport this seems more sensible ... too much water and sand in my neck of the woods would like more control especially when the fuel system is temperamental on the floor

Todd and smegun,

You have the luck of owning a Gen 1 LS. The housing is slightly different from the Gen 2... and the Gen 1 will accept an 8.8 posi unit allowing it to pretty much drop right in the housing... allowing you to use the factory gear set.

I don't remember the details... other than the 8.8 posi had to be the 28 spline version, (like from a Mustang)... to match the axles of the LS.

You might want to dig around in the "LS performance" section of this forum... and maybe contact member "Quik LS" or "Cammer FE", (if they are still around), for more details.

I went back and started re-reading this thread. You got your answers in the first 4 posts.

So the short answer is that any 28 spline 8.8 limited slip will work in the Gen 1 LS. You just re-use the original ring gear that was in the open diff.

The set up, installation, and adjustment can be a bit tricky... so if you have never done this type of work before, you may want to have a professional do it. Otherwise you could grenade the rear end. If that would happen at high speed... the results could be fatal.

I went back and started re-reading this thread. You got your answers in the first 4 posts.

So the short answer is that any 28 spline 8.8 limited slip will work in the Gen 1 LS. You just re-use the original ring gear that was in the open diff.

The set up, installation, and adjustment can be a bit tricky... so if you have never done this type of work before, you may want to have a professional do it. Otherwise you could grenade the rear end. If that would happen at high speed... the results could be fatal.
Yea I get that. I have done 60 or 70 rear ends in my 32 years as a tech
Just never mix and matched parts
I am not sure how I missed it sorry about that. Didn’t mean to waste your time I will read again from the beginning

So it has to come from a mark 8 or 97-01 cobra? Any 8.8 won’t do? Previously in the post it says 8.8 of your choose but then mentions mark 8 or 97-01 cobra.

Sorry 99-01 I mean I scored an 8.8 from an explorer and got 28 spline lsd side gears to change out the ones in the explorer that are 31 spline is this a viable option? Thanks again

Don't forget that the diff tag will have an "L" in the ratio number... such as 3L55 or 3.55L . You will still want to use the ring gear from your original diff. That should be either 3.31 or 3.58 .

Don't forget that the diff tag will have an "L" in the ratio number... such as 3L55 or 3.55L . You will still want to use the ring gear from your original diff. That should be either 3.31 or 3.58 .
Cool cool. Thank you!

Todd and smegun,

You have the luck of owning a Gen 1 LS. The housing is slightly different from the Gen 2... and the Gen 1 will accept an 8.8 posi unit allowing it to pretty much drop right in the housing... allowing you to use the factory gear set.

I don't remember the details... other than the 8.8 posi had to be the 28 spline version, (like from a Mustang)... to match the axles of the LS.

You might want to dig around in the "LS performance" section of this forum... and maybe contact member "Quik LS" or "Cammer FE", (if they are still around), for more details.

thought we were talking about an lsd a posi rear now were really talking does it have enough torque for these ? he ha

thought we were talking about an lsd a posi rear now were really talking does it have enough torque for these ? he ha

we will find out maybe I will post a video of doing a posi burnout when I get it done haha

Hello all,
i am new here. Been reading for a while and most stuff is written already, so i didn't think i need to ask anything , but it seems in the end i need to :). I own an LS from 2000 its kinds EU spec as i am located in Europe and the speedometer bigger numbers are in KM/h but basically its completely US car. Its a new car for me and its in perfect condition , but i have the problem with the inner tire spinning , when riding aggressively or drifting :) so i went through the thread and it looks like i need an 8.8inch differential which would basically bolt directly to the crown of the existing one. I have the following two questions will any of those two fit ? And also how noisy is the Posi clutch type one ? If its very noisy i will probably consider the Eaton helical one, if of course it fits .

With a clutch posi you might hear some grinding/popping while making slow turns, like in a parking lot. That's why that type of unit needs the special oil additive - the additive reduces the noise.
I would assume either of those would fit, but I don't know for sure.

With a clutch posi you might hear some grinding/popping while making slow turns, like in a parking lot.

Not necessairly. That happens more with a "locker" type differential. A posi clutch type differential will cause a slight "scrubbing/chirping" of the inside tire (on a tight turn) ... depending on how the clutches are "stacked" in the differential.

The additive, (if not using diff fluid already designed for a limited slip differential), reduces the friction on the clutch packs... not the noise.

If there in noise in the rear end of a limited slip differential... there are other problems.

The Ford 8.8 listed above is more forgiving during hard driving or use... because it has clutches.

The Truetrac is more for off road vehicles... but can be used in cars. It uses a "helical" gear inside the diff assembly... that applies torque to both wheels during acceleration... and "releases" during deceleration.

For road course racing... the Truetrac has a "learning curve" and throttle manipulation to keep the car pointed where you want it to go.

For the LS... the Ford unit would be better.

Due to the limited space in the LS rear end... I doubt the Truetrac would even fit.

Keep in mind that the Gen 1 LS diff is only 8.0. So the 8.8 diff will barely fit... and only with smaller gear sets.

You might get 3.23, 3.31 or 3.55 gears in there... but don't plan on getting 3.73 or 4.10 gears in the 8.0 diff. The ring gear will be too thick.

Due to the limited space in the LS rear end... I doubt the Truetrac would even fit.

Keep in mind that the Gen 1 LS diff is only 8.0. So the 8.8 diff will barely fit... and only with smaller gear sets.

You might get 3.23, 3.31 or 3.55 gears in there... but don't plan on getting 3.73 or 4.10 gears in the 8.0 diff. The ring gear will be too thick.

I am not planning to change the pinion and ring i will put the diff directly with the stock ones. I think both are pretty much the same measurements only the helical gear one is a bit heavier. I dont want chirping and any unnecessary noises in the rear , so decided on the truetrac. Waiting for it to arrive and i will inform how the installation went and if there were any obstacles.

I dont want chirping and any unnecessary noises in the rear , so decided on the truetrac.

Then you are choosing the wrong diff. You won't like the Truetrac. It's much more agressive.

I have a limited slip in my truck. Never heard any noise from it... until I blew it up.

I then rebuilt it using another 8.8 center section... and stacked the clutches myself.

No noise internally. Just a little tire noise (chirp) on tight turns.

On acceleration... the Truetrac acts like a locker diff. The car will want to go straight in turns.

How well do you think that's going to work out for you?

On acceleration... the Truetrac acts like a locker diff. The car will want to go straight in turns.

How well do you think that's going to work out for you?
that is a eaton nospin/detroit locker not a eaton detroit trutrac

trutrac is a torsen type it is superior to clutched units

Members online

Back