Lincoln LS 2001 3.9 swap to jag 4.0 with VVT

J-A-J-O

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I want to say hello to everyone on the forum!

I'm a Lincoln LS 2001 3.9L user, recently my motor stuck, probably due to overheating problems and insufficient amount of oil (still can't believe that those car's don't have engine oil level sensor).

So I need to exchange my engine to other - in europe Lincoln LS is very rare car, so together with my mechanic we decided to use Jag 4.0 engine - my mechanic want's to use jag block and heads. But as you probably you know Jag heads have VVT, so he want's to use camshaft from Ls engine. This will cause that i will have Jag 4.0 engine without VVT.

I want to ask - does this is good idea? Does power will be same as before on the LS engine - 256HP? Or due to differences in engine it will be lower due to lack of VVT in the engine that supports it?

Does anybody tried to get work jag engine with VVT in this car? I know that getting working engine from LS V2 with VVT is very difficult, but how's about Jag engine?

To start with, please see 'Land Speed LS' in the HP section. It is relatively easy to simply shut off the VVT in the Jag engine, or alternatively to put the heads from your original 3.9 engine on the Jag short block. Please feel free to ask questions, and good luck!

KS

Click on the Forums link at the top of the page. Then click on the link for Lincoln LS High Performance. The thread of reference(Land Speed LS) is within that area.

(still can't believe that those car's don't have engine oil level sensor).

they actually do have an old school oil level sensor that the computer reads!!!

the sensor is actually a big long skinny stick under the hood with a yellow handle, and the driver is the computer that "read" the information off of the "sensor".

the sensor is actually a big long skinny stick under the hood with a yellow handle, and the driver is the computer that "read" the information off of the "sensor".

Sorry I just had to lol !!!:D

To start with, please see 'Land Speed LS' in the HP section. It is relatively easy to simply shut off the VVT in the Jag engine, or alternatively to put the heads from your original 3.9 engine on the Jag short block. Please feel free to ask questions, and good luck!

KS

Hi

Well, I've already read first 4 pages and still reading rest. The things that was done with the LS are awsome. But about the compatibility of engines - we already checked - Jag 4.0 block have bigger wather channels, and LS head don't covers them completly, so we cant just use LS heads, it better to use jag heads. But mostly I'm interested in power gain of VVT, it's over 20 HP. How difficult is include this system in V1 LS?

Yeah, that's a shame - why they don't make one inside the car, so i can check oil when driving :)

Do you have availability to the ecu and wiring harness from the donor vehicle? Even if you do, my guess is that there may be implications of some functionality being lost. Have you checked in with the JAG s type forum and posed your question?

this is a big job....
none of the electronics are compatible - simple things like - the dash, the SRS system, the REM (controls fuel pump, rear lights), the FEM (front lights, doors), ... none of this is compatible with the JAG ECU...

The LAND SPEED project is basically putting in a different motor into and LS and with will hand match all the wiring, sensors, etc - and then will be into a huge custom programming effort to match the LS's PCM to the new engine. Ken has the luxury of making this a 4+ yr project with a huge amount of custom build - which I am assuming it not the same level of work you are looking for based on your opening post...

this is a big job....
none of the electronics are compatible - simple things like - the dash, the SRS system, the REM (controls fuel pump, rear lights), the FEM (front lights, doors), ... none of this is compatible with the JAG ECU...

The LAND SPEED project is basically putting in a different motor into and LS and with will hand match all the wiring, sensors, etc - and then will be into a huge custom programming effort to match the LS's PCM to the new engine. Ken has the luxury of making this a 4+ yr project with a huge amount of custom build - which I am assuming it not the same level of work you are looking for based on your opening post...

Hi

If so, I think we will just exchange pistons, crankshaft from Jag block to LS block. I don't want to make any tunning yet :) The car is not working from over 1,5 month, so I just want to repair it. I next week we will compare engines, and see what exacly differences are. In maintime i will search for Jag and LS wiring diagrams.

I have the wiring manual for a 2000 ls. Let me see if I can get it scanned in tomorrow.

Jaj....you may also want to verify the build date of your 2001. Prior to I believe April 15th, there was a different oil pump used. I know you said your engine was starved of oil. Is your pump still good? If not, the pump for prior to April 15th is $428(US) and there were only a few listed under the Jag S Type on an online website.

http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/jaguar-s-type/oil-pump/

In short, depending on your circumstances, this build could be a very tricky undertaking.

Hi

Oil Pump will be re used from Jag engine. Also when reading about variations of AJ-V8 engine found that Jaguar XKR and XJR were using nearly same engine (4.0 V8, without VVT) but with supercharger, wchich was pure mechanical! :) That means that it don't need any sensors, just need to connect it with belt, and intake and maybe some ECU reprogramming due to higher compression in cylinders. Power gain is visible from the beggining, becouse it is charging engine from lowest rpm.

Yesterday we have compared JAG ang LS engines, they are ve similiar. Hope that we could make it running, after changing sensors to LS ones. Also I found a very cheap engine from XKR, worth only 1200 USD, so I'm thinking about switching to that one, or maybe just add it's supercharger to mine. Power gain is signigicant, it's almost 100 hp more. I will let you know when I will do rest of resarch.

marcredd can you send me those wiring diagrams?

I will tomorrow. Having some issues with my scanner and going to purchase a new one.

Also, marcredd, are you scanning the entire thing? It's a book!
JAJO, the wiring manuals are readily available on eBay.

Anyone done a side-by-side with the '00 oil pump and '01-'02 pump? The difference I've seen in pictures is the later pumps have squirters for the chains, early one's done. I bet the block is the same, which means the oil galleys are the same, so it would be an upgrade to get the later pump.

I've talked with engineering folk both at Federal Mogul and Cometic and the consensus is that there are minor differences in the size of some of the gasket openings for the UK version and the US version of the AJ engine. Cometic is prepared to make gaskets available to use when applying Lincoln heads to the Jag engine.

The supercharged Jag engine requires such a mass of electronic changes for use in an LS that it probably isn't at all economic to do so.

KS

It is indeed a book. LOL. Jajo, do you need it all or just the portions surrounding the engine and behind the dash connections? If you are asking for the entire book, this is going to take a few days based on my schedule.

I've talked with engineering folk both at Federal Mogul and Cometic and the consensus is that there are minor differences in the size of some of the gasket openings for the UK version and the US version of the AJ engine. Cometic is prepared to make gaskets available to use when applying Lincoln heads to the Jag engine.

The supercharged Jag engine requires such a mass of electronic changes for use in an LS that it probably isn't at all economic to do so.

KS

Thanks for the info, but we compared both heads and engine block from LS and Jag, ane they unchangeable, becouse of bigger wather channels in Jag. LS heads don't cover whole Jag block, and otherwise Jag heads protudes over the LS block.

Here's mine LS block:

LS Block.jpg

And here's Jag S-type 4.0 2002 block

JAG Block.jpg

It is indeed a book. LOL. Jajo, do you need it all or just the portions surrounding the engine and behind the dash connections? If you are asking for the entire book, this is going to take a few days based on my schedule.

Well, of course I don't need whole book. I would like only use portions surrounding the engine

Do you know if there any differences in Jag 4.0 and LS 3.9 camshafts? (except VVT sensor)

So the difference is in the 1 water jacket in the front lower section of the block? Cause all the other passages look nearly identical, or close enough for a gasket to do it's thing.

Those blocks look so similar as far as im concerned we have a 4 liter engine.

I believe recently someone posted that the camshaft stampings from the Jag and the LS engine are the exact same part number.

Someone correct me if I am wrong....

Members online

No members online now.
Back