Lincoln LS 2001 3.9 swap to jag 4.0 with VVT

Cometic Gasket Co. seem to think that they can supply gaskets to mate LS heads to a Jag block. I guess it remains to be seen!

KS

I believe recently someone posted that the camshaft stampings from the Jag and the LS engine are the exact same part number.

Someone correct me if I am wrong....

I hope that is the true, after christmas my mechanic will compare both camshafts.

Cometic Gasket Co. seem to think that they can supply gaskets to mate LS heads to a Jag block. I guess it remains to be seen!

KS

Well I don't think that is the best soultion, LS heads have smaller wather channels, so with JAG engine, wather flow can be interrupted.

Those blocks look so similar as far as im concerned we have a 4 liter engine.

Yes, they both are 4 liter, but on the photo you can't see that all wather channels (not only 4th) on Jag block are bigger, that's not big difference, maybe 2 mm on each. And the 4th is much bigger.

I will write something more afrer christmas.

I have put a considerable amount of research into this swap.

You will have to use your factory PCM which does not support VVT.

You will have to use your block. Ford cast a different block for Gen 1s that has different mounting bosses on the passenger side of the engine for the alternator and hydraulic clutch pump.

The Jag internals should work based on this information:

The Bore is the same at 86mm between the 4.0 and 3.9.
The Stroke of the 3.9 is shorter at 85mm vs 86mm.

The bearings and rings for these cars are extremely difficult to track down. It would be good to find a low mileage engine for the internals.

Here is the most likely place to find rebuild parts as they make their own:
http://www.racinggreencars.com/parts.asp

Also, you have noticed that the ports on the heads are different. The Gen 1 LS heads have smaller and differently spaced intake ports than other models. Therefore, you cannot mount your intake onto other engines.

Jag's have very different intakes on all of their AJ engines from the Gen 1 LS's.

With known information your most cost effective and simple solution is to spend a few extra bucks and find the factory engine.

If this is not an option you will have to use your block and heads.

Hi

Just want to say that we have successfully made a swap of engine from Jaguar S-type 4.0. We take block and heads but have to change 2 of camshafts (1 on each head is from LS and 1 is from JAG). Intake, outtake from LS fit very well. All sensors came from LS. As dwiggy said - we had to also reuse mounting bosses from LS block for hydraulic clutch pump. Sump was also reused from LS because of mounting bosses for alternator.

In my opinion now engine have few horses more, maybe due to bigger capacity of the block. Also engine, due to bigger weather channels warms it self faster, which is good because i can play with gas pedal faster :)

Currently I'm thinning about taking a compressor from Jag XJR, and brakes and hub's from Jag S-type R :p

Also, did some research on the forum on other problems - we have winter, and my seats don't heat. Changed all three fusees, but that didn't help. Also rain sensor don't work. Maybe somebody know what can be the reason of that? And sometimes airbag light comes up.

Hi

Just want to say that we have successfully made a swap of engine from Jaguar S-type 4.0. We take block and heads but have to change 2 of camshafts (1 on each head is from LS and 1 is from JAG). Intake, outtake from LS fit very well. All sensors came from LS. As dwiggy said - we had to also reuse mounting bosses from LS block for hydraulic clutch pump. Sump was also reused from LS because of mounting bosses for alternator.

In my opinion now engine have few horses more, maybe due to bigger capacity of the block. Also engine, due to bigger weather channels warms it self faster, which is good because i can play with gas pedal faster :)

Currently I'm thinning about taking a compressor from Jag XJR, and brakes and hub's from Jag S-type R :p

Also, did some research on the forum on other problems - we have winter, and my seats don't heat. Changed all three fusees, but that didn't help. Also rain sensor don't work. Maybe somebody know what can be the reason of that? And sometimes airbag light comes up.

Great to hear, Jajo!

When I was a kid in the '70's, the thought of ever meeting, or speaking to, a Pole was crazy. The only thing I knew about Poland was a guy named Prime Minister Jaruszelski. Now we have a Pole blazing a trail on the LS! Love it.

The heated seat problem is probably due to a break in the wires of the heating element under the seat cover. You can replace the heating element or solder the break. There is a thread going right now from marcredd on that topic.

For the airbag light, count the flashes. They should be a two digit code. Most likely you'll get 3 then 2 or 3 then 6. Check the connector under the seat for a break or loose connection (in your case a loose connection since it's intermittent). If things start going wrong in your steering column, like the cruise control or other controls or possibly your intermittent wipers, then you probably have a worn / broken clock spring. That's also been covered here many times.

The rain sensor has several topics here, as well.

Great to hear, Jajo!

When I was a kid in the '70's, the thought of ever meeting, or speaking to, a Pole was crazy. The only thing I knew about Poland was a guy named Prime Minister Jaruszelski. Now we have a Pole blazing a trail on the LS! Love it.

The heated seat problem is probably due to a break in the wires of the heating element under the seat cover. You can replace the heating element or solder the break. There is a thread going right now from marcredd on that topic.

For the airbag light, count the flashes. They should be a two digit code. Most likely you'll get 3 then 2 or 3 then 6. Check the connector under the seat for a break or loose connection (in your case a loose connection since it's intermittent). If things start going wrong in your steering column, like the cruise control or other controls or possibly your intermittent wipers, then you probably have a worn / broken clock spring. That's also been covered here many times.

The rain sensor has several topics here, as well.

Thank you very much, currently I don't have much time to check all of these things, but I'm sure that I will fix all of those when I will have more time.

It's very nice to hear that you know something about Poland. But Jaruzelski is not good representative of Poland, because he was one of, who was holding us in communism. Better to know Lech Walesa who have taken us to democracy.

Also I love mine LS because this is very rare car in PL, every one here is driving an BMW, Audi or Volvo, so all those people who see mine LS are very curious about it. I have meet several persons because of it :)

Tomorrow I will drive to my LPG gas installation mechanic to fix that installation. After engine change is not working properly. Also we will discuss how to get LPG gas installation working after adding a supercharger. If he will say that this is possible, i will search in UK for the parts for supercharger.

I will keep you updated.

Hope to see the final product. Ive read this whole thread and im wishing you the best of luck. Only if the new Supercharged 5.0 from the XFR could be used!!!! :)

KS
hi I'm new to the site, Hope you can help me I have a 2001 jaguar stype, and want to put cams and solid lifters out of Lincoln ls 3.9 on my jaguar 4.0..will it work? thank you

There are no 'lifters' in your engine. The cams work directly against 'buckets' that fit between the overhead cams and the upper end of the valves. These buckets contain shims that set the lash for the individual valves. In other words, direct action---no rockers, lifters, or pushrods.

KS

There are no 'lifters' in your engine. The cams work directly against 'buckets' that fit between the overhead cams and the upper end of the valves. These buckets contain shims that set the lash for the individual valves. In other words, direct action---no rockers, lifters, or pushrods.

KS

Thanks for the info. so can you use the solid lifters and cams out of the ls 3.9 and put them on the jaguar 4.0 stype.

I don't know about Jag, but Ford calls them tappets, not lifters. I don't know if you can use the 3.9 cams and tappets in a 4.0.
Doesn't the 4.0 already use solid tappets?
Why are you wanting to use the 3.9 parts?

I don't know about Jag, but Ford calls them tappets, not lifters. I don't know if you can use the 3.9 cams and tappets in a 4.0.
Doesn't the 4.0 already use solid tappets?
Why are you wanting to use the 3.9 parts?
I have two good ls heads...and one of my jag intake cam is damaged..if I change cams the solid lifter must follow the cam in which it has seated too.

I REPEAT---There are no 'lifters' (or tappets) in the engines you are referring to. The cam lobe runs directly against a shim that is set into the top of the bucket that sets over the top of the valve and valvespring. One sets the lash by the use of the shims. If the lobe is damaged, the shim(s) are likely damaged also. You'll need to replace as necessary in order to make sure the lash (distance between the heel of each cam lobe and the valve mechanism being activated by that lobe) is correct.

KS

I REPEAT---There are no 'lifters' (or tappets) in the engines you are referring to. ...

While I do agree that they aren't "lifters" in the traditional sense, Ford does in fact call then "tappets." I do think it is the correct term. (It also seems that "lifter" is not an incorrect term for them either. New to me too, live and learn.) You may be defining "lifter" too strictly. I don't know why you are opposed to the term tappet.

The page in the shop manual on the valve tappets: 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

Exploded valve train view:
NOTE: RH shown, LH similar.

s6x~us~en~file=n0013588.gif~gen~ref.gif

Item Part Number Description
1 W701242 Intake camshaft cap bolt (10 required)
2 6A258 Intake camshaft cap (5 required)
3 6A270 Intake camshaft
4 W701242 Exhaust camshaft cap bolt (10 required)
5 6A258 Exhaust camshaft cap (5 required)
6 6A272 Exhaust camshaft
7 6K514 Tappet shim (16 required)
8 6500 Tappet (16 required)

s6x~us~en~file=n0013590.gif~gen~ref.gif

9 6518 Intake valve spring retainer key (16 required)
10 2762 Intake valve spring retainer (8 required)
11 6513 Intake valve spring (8 required)
12 6A536 Intake valve stem seal (8 required)
13 6518 Exhaust valve spring retainer key (16 required)
14 2762 Exhaust valve spring retainer (8 required)
15 6513 Exhaust valve spring (8 required)
16 6A536 Exhaust valve stem seal (8 required)

Definition of tappet: Tappet - Wikipedia

A tappet is a projection that imparts a linear motion to some other component within a mechanism.

While I do agree that they aren't "lifters" in the traditional sense, Ford does in fact call then "tappets." I do think it is the correct term. (It also seems that "lifter" is not an incorrect term for them either. New to me too, live and learn.) You may be defining "lifter" too strictly. I don't know why you are opposed to the term tappet.

The page in the shop manual on the valve tappets: 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

Exploded valve train view:

View attachment 828568966
1 W701242 Intake camshaft cap bolt (10 required)
2 6A258 Intake camshaft cap (5 required)
3 6A270 Intake camshaft
4 W701242 Exhaust camshaft cap bolt (10 required)
5 6A258 Exhaust camshaft cap (5 required)
6 6A272 Exhaust camshaft
7 6K514 Tappet shim (16 required)
8 6500 Tappet (16 required)

View attachment 828568967
9 6518 Intake valve spring retainer key (16 required)
10 2762 Intake valve spring retainer (8 required)
11 6513 Intake valve spring (8 required)
12 6A536 Intake valve stem seal (8 required)
13 6518 Exhaust valve spring retainer key (16 required)
14 2762 Exhaust valve spring retainer (8 required)
15 6513 Exhaust valve spring (8 required)
16 6A536 Exhaust valve stem seal (8 required)

Definition of tappet: Tappet - Wikipedia

A tappet is a projection that imparts a linear motion to some other component within a mechanism.
This is a new terminology/word very interesting I always have called them lifters but just goes to show the richness of this forum and the expansive knowledge given on it...that's the reason I always recommend Seafoam injector spray cleaner which allows a good HOT SOAK for the engine it helps the Tappets/Lifters and brings them back proper performance

It's common within the Ford community for some to speak of the cast-in protrusions in the inside of some FE blocks as 'knorbs'. The same 'word' is used for the protrusions found on the crowns of some high performance pistons from back in the early-mid '60s. This error probably crept into the vernacular from a typographical error, in the first place.

As someone who 'cut my teeth' on flathead Ford engines, 'lifters' or 'tappets' are cylindrical items which fit between a camshaft lobe and the next item in a valvetrain. In AJ engines, it's a shim that contacts the cam lobe. The entire function of the bucket is to hold the shim in the proper place.

You'll notice that in the Wiki article, there is stated that the 'tappet' contacts the cam. Going by that definition, you may be able to call the shim a tappet, but not the bucket itself. As one who worked at FoMoCo, I can assure that misnomers creep into call-outs on a regular basis.

Joe, as always, I appreciate your expertise and your willingness to share.

KS

...You'll notice that in the Wiki article, there is stated that the 'tappet' contacts the cam. Going by that definition, you may be able to call the shim a tappet, but not the bucket itself. ...

To play devil's advocate, going by the original, broad, definition, pretty much anything between the cam and the valve can be a "tappet." Personally, I'll stay with tappet, as almost everyone knows what you are talking about when using that term.

ok Tappet..old school is Solid lifters..Lol

What ever you or I want to call them, I suspect (but don't know) that they will work. The bigger question to me is the cams.

Are you really saving that much going this way?

What ever you or I want to call them, I suspect (but don't know) that they will work. The bigger question to me is the cams.

Are you really saving that much going this way?
Got Two low mile heads off of Ls3.9 and I got take head off of jag due to wife running hot probably dropped a valve seat or valve stuck open. I know the head bolts will work. just wondering. might sell the ls heads..

Members online

No members online now.
Back