Lets talk transmissions....

ripped camel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
First off I'd like to say I have zero knowledge on auto trannys, but have infinite knowledge on manuals. This is a hypothetical.....

If your transmission blew, how would you rebuild it (what smorgasboard of parts) and why would you use each of those parts? Keep it within your own reasonable budget.

I'm curious to find out the differences between each persons build.

We offer a bullet proof 4r70w so when it goes call me.

I have rebuilt mine several times. 2 times myself and the rest by our trans God Kenny Baldino. Using ALL Baumann parts.

We offer a bullet proof 4r70w so when it goes call me.

I have rebuilt mine several times. 2 times myself and the rest by our trans God Kenny Baldino. Using ALL Baumann parts.

So what is bulletproof. Elaborate on what is all done and a price level.

Circle D Converter, I don't do internal stuff... yet :)

Hey Geno, talking about rebuilding your trans several times really speaks to how durable it is, ore how demeted you are behind the wheel :D

Because after doing way too much research about converters I found Circle D to make the best product... and I don't waste my money...

I personally am leaning towards a 3800-4000 rpm range... but I will need to do a lot more research and get the car on the dyno before making an absolute decision...

I can't necessarily answer all the why's, but I can tell you how my 'bullet-proof' tranny was built.

• late model core (better build)
  • 6 plate forward clutch with no wave
  • 3 plate reverse drum (no transbrake)
  • 4 plate grooved dynax intermediate clutches (these apply the best)
  • 7 plate dynax direct frictions
  • 1 groove reverse servo (shortest)
  • updated OD servo
  • hardened gearset
  • hardened stub shaft
  • custom valve body w/ J-mod
  • maximum J-mod settings
  • rear lube mod
  • new tcc solenoid
  • new shift solenoids
  • cast aluminum pan with drain plug

mini-IMG00308.jpg

Of course updated accumulators and servos are included and there are some proprietary modifications along with some stuff I didn't take the time to note down.

The torque converter I have with this transmission is a custom built 9.5" billet cover 3800 stall with improved lockup friction and billet piston capable of high torque lock-ups.

And last but not least, I run a stand-alone 40K transmission cooler with a transmission fluid temperature gauge.

I'm sure there are dissenting opinions, but I am more than satisfied with the setup I have.

I just wish we could get Johny Langton's personal build sheet... he builds a MEAN 4r70w from what I've heard....

Members online

Back