Lets play a guessing game

BlackMark8Li

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I have this really annoying squeeling from my one of my pullies. if I let off on the tensioner just a lil it goes away. ok so one would guess it was the tensioner or the pulley for it. well guess again changed both... still there... changed the pulley above that too( forgot what thats called) still there... ahh is it the water pump? nope changed that... still there... changed my alternator... still there... So now I have 3 pullies left to check and they all seem fine, no noise if I spin them on there own, I don't feel any bad bearings. oh I forgot the belt is brand new also...

So whats next on the list? anyone wanna play and guess, I mean hell I'm going to replace every freakin thing on the front to get to this squealing noise so why not step up and join my fun.

Went through the same thing with my Olds. Finally found the harmonic balancer was worn out. Replaced it and no more noise! Inspect it, don't replace it unless needed.

BlackMark8Li said:
So I have this really annoying squeeling from my one of my pullies. if I let off on the tensioner just a lil it goes away. ok so one would guess it was the tensioner or the pulley for it. well guess again changed both... still there... changed the pulley above that too( forgot what thats called) still there... ahh is it the water pump? nope changed that... still there... changed my alternator... still there... So now I have 3 pullies left to check and they all seem fine, no noise if I spin them on there own, I don't feel any bad bearings. oh I forgot the belt is brand new also...

So whats next on the list? anyone wanna play and guess, I mean hell I'm going to replace every freakin thing on the front to get to this squealing noise so why not step up and join my fun.
I bet it is the belt yet. Even a drop of water on a cloth touched to the edges will make the squeal go away. Guessing of course.

Get a new harmonic balancer. Either a Maurader one or a Steeda crank pulley with the built in balancer.

back in school this kid I knew was selling a harmonic balancer
to a shop teacher , the one he sold him was full of bondo and painted funny

yea i bought a brand new belt from napa and the peice of sh*t squealed like a bitch... try returning it.. yea right... i ended up putting the old belt on and after changing idler and tensioner pullies i didnt need to i found out that my NEW belt was the prob... ps poly cog sucks

Were you the one that posted a thread about this not too long ago? If its squeeling its most likely the belt or the Ilder arm assembly is worn causing the belt to be loose and slip on the Alt,water pump, etc.

MarkVIII93 said:
Were you the one that posted a thread about this not too long ago? If its squeeling its most likely the belt or the Ilder arm assembly is worn causing the belt to be loose and slip on the Alt,water pump, etc.

Wasn't me who posted that.. and the squeeling started so the 1st thing I did do was the belt... then I spun the alt and heard something so I swapped out that 1 for another 1 I had sitting in my shed. Then with the engine running I applied the slighest bit of pressure to the tenstioner and the noise went away so I bought a new pulley and still there... so I again swapped out the tensioner with a spare one and still there.. then did the same thing to the water pump and the pulley above the tensioner and still got the same noise, didn't even change any bit. so its either the crank, power steering, or a.c..

How can you test the crank( thats the harmonic balancer right?) to see if its bad?

School_Zone said:
Harmonic balancer?

Isn't the Intech V8 was internally balanced?

Yes,

The term that should be used is Harmonic dampener. This is essential to absorb all of the little pulses created by the engine firing, and the crank "bouncing" around in the journals. It has nothing to do with the balance of the engine.

Oh....the goodyear gatorback belt owns you.

BlackMark8Li said:
... Then with the engine running I applied the slighest bit of pressure to the tenstioner and the noise went away so I bought a new pulley and still there... so I again swapped out the tensioner with a spare one and still there..

Was that spare tensioner new?

I was under the impression it was. I have seen many, many Ford tensioners feel good(tension wise) but require replacement. The reason? The hinge pivot wears allowing the tension arm to NOT be parallel with the belt. In extreme cases it will even allow the pulley to start contacting the front cover(which will be obvious to detect). But what happens is the belt is riding across the tensioner pulley at a slight angle. This tangential sliding is the source of the common belt squeak. If you carefully look at the clearance between the tensioner pulley and the front cover you MAY be able to see the misalignment. It becomes obvious after replacing the tensioner and noticing the obviously bigger 'gap' between the tensioner pulley and the front cover.

EDIT: My comment to change the belt was pleading for you to do so before further more costly measures such as replacing the crank pulley/dampener. I posted the part number I have used with success, not necessarily advocating any particular brand over another.

driller said:

I was under the impression it was. I have seen many, many Ford tensioners feel good(tension wise) but require replacement. The reason? The hinge pivot wears allowing the tension arm to NOT be parallel with the belt. In extreme cases it will even allow the pulley to start contacting the front cover(which will be obvious to detect). But what happens is the belt is riding across the tensioner pulley at a slight angle. This tangential sliding is the source of the common belt squeak. If you carefully look at the clearance between the tensioner pulley and the front cover you MAY be able to see the misalignment. It becomes obvious after replacing the tensioner and noticing the obviously bigger 'gap' between the tensioner pulley and the front cover.
Great , great , great point. If a Goodyear Gatorback doesn't do it, look at the tensioner next. Very rarely is the idler pully the culprit. Take a really close look at the belt and see if one edge is slightly discolored (shiny). That would indicate what Driller is saying.

driller said:

EDIT: My comment to change the belt was pleading for you to do so before further more costly measures such as replacing the crank pulley/dampener. I posted the part number I have used with success, not necessarily advocating any particular brand over another.

no the tensioner was not new, however I have 3 an they used to work.. I highly doubt that all 3 are bad.. and are causing the same exact sqeaking.. Plus I have one of those stethoscopes and there is no noise comming from the tensioner. I actually can not hear any noise from any.. I'm gonna have the alternator tested to see i fther barings are shot, although again 2 alternators having the same problem when they both worked and 1 was jst sitting not being used.

I am betting on a nasty belt... I just did the water pump on my 91 conti, and since I had the front of the engine apart, I did the tensioner pulley and idler pulley and belt at same time. after all was put together, my new stuff squeals sometimes... I have narrowed it down to the power steering pump pulley on mine. PS pump was replaced about 2 months before water pump. Also, if I add pressure to the tensioner, squeal would go away. and I had NO squeal before the work was done.

Previous to the water pump going, my 3.8 was so quiet and smooth I could hear the injectors clicking if I listenend close enough. in between squealing sessions, it still is that quiet.

BTW, I admit my belt was a cheapo autobone part

I know everybody says the belt but I already changed the belt... the car started sqeaking and the 1st thing I did was change the belt, cost me like 30 bucks... so ITS NOT THE BELT, cause its doing the same thing.

What belt did you put on? I picked up the standard belt(big name that I can't remember) from a local shop & it squealed. I then bought one from the local dealer & a Dayton belt from the previously mentioned local dealer. The Dayton belt did/does not squeal. Sometimes it's just the manufacturer & the application. By the way the Dayton belt has slits runnig from side to side, which I believe gives it a better grip. Don't know who's belt(s) you tried, but it's something to consider. Ed :cool:

like i said man when i changed my belt the new one squeaked... the tensioner assembly is like 50 bucks... seems like either ur alt has bad bearings which i doubt, or u need the tensioner or a new belt... even though its new if it was slipping cuz of loose tensioner it could have caused it to get a glaze on it.. good luck

The way I figured out what pulley I needed to replace was to spray wd40 on the pullies with the engine running. When the noise started to go away while spraying the tensioner pulley I knew that was my problem.

I wanted to say to all who said it wa sthe belt.. haha you were right. my apoligizes. I figured since the noise happened before I replaced the belt and then it stayed there after I replaced it, it wasn't the belt. But you guys were right. Thanks, even tho I didn't listen at first. At least I got a new water pump.. :)

edit: however I did spray down ONLY my water pump on the inner side with wd-40 and the noise went away... thats why I thought it was the pump.

JoeyLincolnMK8 said:
so you keeping the car now?

Yes and no... if I could get enough to pay off the loan and have some leftover, I'd probally sell it. I'd need about 7500 for that to happen. I think I said 6500 before but I'm gonna have to buy something else so I need something extra. Will that happen? probally not, so yes I'll be keeping the car

Members online

No members online now.
Back