Leaving to Afghanistan!

kingtonghsp

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So im deploying to Afghanistan REALLY soon. So I left the car in my garage in Texas. Im guessing what im really trying to ask without sounding to stupid is, what should I do as far as maintenance when I get back? I will be gone for 12 months.

So im deploying to Afghanistan REALLY soon. So I left the car in my garage in Texas. Im guessing what im really trying to ask without sounding to stupid is, what should I do as far as maintenance when I get back? I will be gone for 12 months.

Disconnect the battery or get a battery tender and leave it connected all the time. I would be tempted to change the oil before I left, but I don't think that's too critical. You should put some gasoline preservative in the gas tank before you leave. When you get back will be too late.

during my first deployment i neglected to do anything, and i had to purchase a new battery when i came home. The second time around i unplugged the battery, did an oil change, and inflated the tires to the max psi, topped off the gas and everything seemed fine. Afghanistan sucks, but so does Iraq. Good luck

during my first deployment i neglected to do anything, and i had to purchase a new battery when i came home. The second time around i unplugged the battery, did an oil change, and inflated the tires to the max psi, topped off the gas and everything seemed fine. Afghanistan sucks, but so does Iraq. Good luck

Lol, I spent 15 months in Iraq on my first deployment with the Cavalry. Im now doing my 2nd deployment for 12 months in Afghanistan with the 101st Airborne Division. Iraq wasn't too bad, besides the heat, and rainy season with the sand turning into muck. Tower guard with 145 degree heat, in full battle rattle, standing for 8 hours sucks balls.

Yeah, I'm going to be heading out to Afganistan soon. I'm just going to put the LS on jackstands with an empty tank and pull the battery. I'll keep it in my garage.
On my last deployment, I left the wheels on the deck and had to replace all the tires because of hard spots. Also the car cover jacked up my paint.

Stay safe and cool out there.

I wish to all who are going overseas a safe trip and return home safe. My oldest brother will soon be leaving to Iraq for his 3rd tour overseas. He likes it though because it pays well he said.

Be safe! That's what you do. One of my brothers is an Iraq vet as is one of my cousins. I have one cousin currently over there and another on the way. One of my younger brothers is going to afghan this fall.

So you need to survive so what you do for the car will be worth it or you're just wasting your time!! You hear me soldier! Your car needs you to survive! :rolleyes:

Here's some things you could do for a car being stored. Change the oil. Change the antifreeze if it's due or will be due during the storage period. Do any other maintenance that is/will be due. Clean the car, inside and out. Check the tire pressure and make sure they are all a little but high in pressure(4-6 psi at least). Disconnect the battery. Cover the car. You could go the extra mile and put the car up on jack stand so the tires can't develop flat spots. If it's an LS or car like it that likes to make water in the truck then dry it all out. Maybe a leather conditioner. Fuel stabilizer is not a bad idea then fill the tank up with gas.

Thanks a good list to start with.

how much does it pay if you guys do not mind me asking, and yeah good luck come home safe!

Not enough to make you want to go over there, but enough to make not think about how bad it was once you've gotten back.

depends on the outfit. I got sea pay, hazardous duty, tax free, separation pay.... and nowhere to spend the money. I came home from my first deployment with enough to buy my stang cash as well as the GT40 crate motor I dropped in it with some other goodies and still had left overs.

+1 on the jack stands to stop flat spots.
batt. tender
Fuel treatment.

Thanks for serving guys.
Your the best.

Nice to see the guys facing deployment are "worried about their cars".

man, I'd be worried about getting my BUTT HOME SAFE.. but I guess there's no sense worrying about what you cant control.. so considering the cars.. is a pleasant diversion.

keep your head down, come home safe..and THANK YOU for your service.

Hey Hotties....just tonight before the sun set I ran my normal 5k on a portion of the base where I work. When I start down the road with all the tanks, generator trucks, dumps, all the big and little humvees and tons of various other amphebious vehicles...I start to pray that God watches over each and every hand that touches these pieces of equipment, protects them top bottom and all sides...picturing each of you and continue praying God protects each of you in your every step....it's a good 2 mile stretch and a run I take almost daily. Know, people that don't know you, work for you, maybe not where you are, but our prayers are with you, working to get you what you need, before you need it!!!

Kick Ass HOTTIES!!!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GOD BLESS AMERICANS!!!!

Debi

too bad you cant take the LS with ya..I don't know how she'd handle the heat in Afgana-sand. Say Hi to my bro- He's a Ranger over there now. Good luck.

Stay safe. Kick some ass. Comeback in one piece. We are proud of you guys.

When I deployed, my ex-wifes boyfriend drove my car, he took good care of it, so I guess I am telling you to get married, your car will be taken care of. LOL. I wouldthink it would be a lot easier just to have someone drive it every 2 weeks, someone you trust.

Members online

No members online now.
Back