Kooks Headers

clean that thing up and you might get .1 better lol

installing headers

How hard/ what is involved in the header swap. I am wanting to replace my engine mounts and sway bar and possible header install, but the idea of dropping the engine craddle is more then a little intimidated and I am not sure I have the equipment to do it. Wanna get an Idea of how hard it is.

I makes it WAY easier if you drop the K-member, but you do NOT have to. What you can do is simply jack the motor up with a floor jack and some wood (DO NOT jack up the engine on the oil pan....you will end up needin a new oil pan). Using this method is not as easy as dropping the K-member, but makes alot more room to get the headers in and also being able to get to the bolts/nuts that hold the factory exhaust manifolds in. Also, you can use this method to remove/reinstall the old exhaust manifolds......simply remove the 2 engine mount bolts and jack the motor up.

So if u don't jack the motor up by the oil pan, where do u jack it up by? I thought it would be jacking the engine by the oil pan with the block of wood being used as a pad to protect the oil pan. What do u need to disconnect from the engine if u jack it up to do these mods? What is involved in the K-member method (specifically in reguards to the engine mounts)?

When I do my exhaust I want to have no cats because were I live theres no emmision checks, hell yeah, Can I keep the old maniflolds and get rid of the cats because it looks like there 1 piece welded together can I just cut them off were the meet the manifold, Im on a tight budget and I cant afford to do the whole header thing,lol. Sounds great though very nice...

driller said:
Enjoy...

From this...

1229.jpg

To this...

1230.jpg

1231.jpg

The other side...

Before:

1232.jpg

After:

1233.jpg

1234.jpg

They are the Kooks Jet-Hot coated headers from SCP with Percy aluminum header flange gaskets and stainless steel Stage 8 locking bolts. New motor mounts, oxygen sensor extensions, Flaming River billet steering joint and an EGR delete were part of the install.

The test drive report will have to wait. It's still on the rack. One more bend and weld on the drivers side downpipe, then a front end alignment.

how much power gain did the kooks headers yeild? or what do they claim?

I'm not sure what the claim is, I would conservatively guess 15 HP or more depending upon the exhaust paired with it. Remember the factory 'dual exhaust' LSC is rated 10HP more over the base Mark VIII with simply the exhaust being the primary reason.

In my case I also lost the cats in the process. I can tell you I went from a best 13.8 to a new best 13.5 ET in the 1/4 mile with no other mods except the headers. So even if you fudge a tenth for weather factors, you're looking at a solid two tenths which should mean 18 HP plus or minus. :)

JP,

I can't wait to race. Here you have done all sorts of good things NA and all I want to do is run you with a 125 shot. Is that asking too much??? LOL.

MonsterMark said:
JP,

I can't wait to race. Here you have done all sorts of good things NA and all I want to do is run you with a 125 shot. Is that asking too much??? LOL.

Oh now, I don't think you need quite THAT much. :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back