knocking noise when opening doors

FrankLS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
whenever i open my doors and as they swing slightly back and fourth trying to lock into one if its open possitions i get this annoying knocking noise. It does the noise until the door stops moving. From what i can tell it does it more when its warmer.

Im not sure it its the hinges but from what i can see its the lil arm that connects to the vehcle and locks the door into its possitions. I sometimes also think it can be the actuall metal its mounted too cause it seams to move slightly when the door moves.

Anyone had this problem?

It could be your fender and door rubbing. Mine is doing that on the passenger side at the moment. It only takes a little bit to readjust the fender or door to stop that. If it is the door check, which is the little black thing, they aren't too bad to change. I just replaced my door check this week. You have to take of the inside door panel, and remove the speaker and mount to get too it.

yeah ill prob start by replacing the black arm from the door. should be cheap of off a junk yard or something. Im still under factory warranty but the closest dealership really sucks. They replaced my pass side window regulator but left the insides loose so it makes awfull noises. Thanks though i think this might be something ill fix myself

Door checks

the door check develop spots in them and this could be your problem. you can replacement if you want. the rear door check will fit on the front doors, they are just a little shorter in length. Dealers want way too much money.

I paid $35 for my new door check. I was worth it to me since it saves the door from being ripped of on windy days.

whenever i open my doors and as they swing slightly back and fourth trying to lock into one if its open possitions i get this annoying knocking noise. It does the noise until the door stops moving. From what i can tell it does it more when its warmer.

Im not sure it its the hinges but from what i can see its the lil arm that connects to the vehcle and locks the door into its possitions. I sometimes also think it can be the actuall metal its mounted too cause it seams to move slightly when the door moves.

Anyone had this problem?

I have the exact same situation.. it seems that the little arm that's in between the two door hinges warps the sheetmetal where it attaches to the body, as if the sheetmetal is not thick enough in that area ( sounds like your popping out a garbage can lid ). At first I saw that the 2 bolts that attach the arm to the body were loose, so I tightened them, but it did not fix the problem.

Man, is that noise annoying, makes the car sound like it has the build quality of a '70's Maverick.... oh yeah, I forgot , we're all in the Ford family.

You would think that of the 500 things improved for the second gen... a quietly closing door would be a priority for a supposed luxury car

I'll tell you right now... the door on my Neon sounds like a Lexus compared to my LS

ima go ahead and take it to the dealership and see what they say. Its still under factory warranty so itll be free of charge.

If its true what you said about the metal on the body being a lil too thin for the weight of the door then it makes sense that it would sound a lot more when the weather is hot than when its cold. i think... :)

And if thats true then im curious to see what the dealership does about it. the only solution i see to the thin metal problem would be increasing the thickness by welding metal to the backside of the panel, which im sure the dealership wont do and im sure is an extreme hassle.

btw bye bye paint

so i just got back from the dealership and told them about a few problems i had with the vehicle.

Back of drivers seat fell off again

passenger window not held in properly and bangs when closing door

and of course the door knocking.

Im still underfactory warranty so im always going to them. He said that they were going to order some... blah blah... rivets... blah blah... worn... . He really seamed like he was just making things up. So next saturday if the parts are here hes going to install them and we'll see how it goes. Im not putting my hopes up :(

so i got my vehicle worked on my the dealership on saturday and im so happy because they were able to fix the problem.
It took them 2 hrs but finally my doors have stopped knocking. It was very hot today and they still didnt knock. I have no clue what the guy at the dealership did but i did notice that there were metal shavings below, on the metal ledge right under the door check arm.
I didnt even bother to ask what they did because it was a cold day when it got fixed and i was expecting the doors to knock whenever the it got a bit warmer.

I have an 2006 and it does it on the rear doors bad, front doors just a little. Did anyone actually find out what the problem was? I was going to grease the hinge, for starters, it is pretty dry.

I have an 2006 and it does it on the rear doors bad, front doors just a little. Did anyone actually find out what the problem was? I was going to grease the hinge, for starters, it is pretty dry.

I noticed on my '05's rear driver door when I open it and close it the knocking seems to come from the metal on the pillar flexing - where the little black part connects midway down the door, not the big hinges. Not sure what that's about.

I had a small clicking noise, so I looked at the door hinge area as it was opening, and the little door keeper thingy's screws were loose, in the sheetmetal, so I tightened them...no more noise! And better for the sheetmetal, I might add...

As ToeCutter mentioned its not a lubricating issue. At least mine was not but you should deff start by trying a little bit of lube. First time it went to the shop, when they were trying to find out whats wrong, they lubed the crap out of it. Lube was everywhere! Thats when they decided to change out the little arms.

So my 2 front doors are good now. But it seams that its starting up in the rear. I also now have loose parts inside the drivers door where the work was done.

This morning my parking brake would not come undone!! It took a few tries, restarting my vehicle and about 5 min of figiding around. Now i have the "Service parking brake" mentioned on my menu screen. Its back to the shop this next weekend for the parking brake and installation of my 2nd passenger side window regulator all within 35k miles. Im not very happy, but i love the LS.

I picked up my cars work history and damn! I think i got more unlucky than most.

I had the same problem, just tightened down the bracket that the little arm is connected to and cured the problem.

Members online

No members online now.
Back