Just ordered my coil conversion....

AndyT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I ordered one of the open box sets from Strut Masters on eBay that comes with rear shocks and mounts. Is there anything I should know before I dig into this project? Any common mistakes people make while swapping things out, or common things that may give me an issue along the way?

I'm most likely going to be paying Tasca ( local mega FoMoCo dealership ) to install it, as well as a few other issues, seeing that I no longer work for the Chevy dealership because my boss charged my debit for $500 more then I approved, and told me to go screw, but thats another story. So, Strut Masters says a shop will usually charge an hour per wheel, but what should I figure on top of that for the rear shocks and mounts?

Thanks for any help/tips/advice!

Do it yourself, spend an hour and a half out of your day, save money, go buy beer and hookers with what you would have paid said stealership.:D

Do it yourself, spend an hour and a half out of your day, save money, go buy beer and hookers with what you would have paid said stealership.:D

++

It's almost criminal to have a dealer install the parts you have.. It's waaay too easy!

Something I can do in the driveway with a jack and jack stands? Just one up off the ground at a time?

If you cant then sell your jack stands.

if they come loaded, you can do it yourself, .....or sell your jack stands

and im pretty certain that there are at least 50 pics on here of people doing susspension, so if you cant figure it out, sell your computer too

I ordered the same kit for mine. Seems like everyone's air rides are dropping like flies.

both sides in front would have to be lifted and on jackstands in order to get lower bolt off

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

I ordered the same kit for mine. Seems like everyone's air rides are dropping like flies.

Tell me about it! Is there really any noticeable difference in ride quality that you noticed after installing everything? I'm looking forward to not hearing the thuds from the shock mounts every time I go over a bump, and the shocks are shot anyway, so I'm hoping for a complete upgrade :shifty:

both sides in front would have to be lifted and on jackstands in order to get lower bolt off
That is not true. Cant tell you how many times I have removed a front assembly with only one corner up.

Heres another stupid question...

Shock bushings... where are these things and will I most likely need new ones, or will they be with the new shocks, or somewhere in that StrutMaster kit I ordered?

Tips:

Start PB Blastering your bolts a few days before you begin. That will make taking things apart a whole lot easier.

Get a shorty rachet for the driver side UCA bolt on the firewall side of the mount. That is by far the hardest bolt to get at during the un-install, re-install. If you want, I'll give you the exact size that fits in that area (other folks simply cut the flag off the nut on the inside of the wheel well, I didn't have the equipment to do that). I also used a Gear Rachet on that bolt, which allowed me to get the socket and wrench into a smaller space then a normal setup.

Other than that, driveway, jackstands and a few hours and you'll be good to go :)

Ride sucks with the conversion, compared to the air bags (at least with strut masters) however you won't ever have to worry about your car deflating again.

Good luck.

Why would he need to remove the UCA?

He might not have to, I did. :p

I was going on memory from when I had done mine, and forgot that I also replaced the UCA when I did the coils (though I did have to loosen up the passenger side in order to get the UCA out of the way).

File the second half of my post as 'information to be used later'.....:)

I got arnott kit and me and my brother installed the kit in a couple of hours, don't waste your money and do it yourself or get a friend to help.

Are your front air shocks any good? why you changing.

I always take my upper control arm bolt off when I change my struts they go in so much easier.

Members online

No members online now.
Back