just boought a w3z2

mikeskustomfab

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
ok so i just bought a w3z2 computer and installed it and from what i understand is that they rev limit at 6800 and have no speed limiter. well my problem is that its doing everything the same as the old dza1 computer i removed it rev limites at 64ish and speed limites at 107 (i have 3:73s). has anyone had this problem? only reason i wanted it was for the speed limiter, 107 just blows balls.

I have a w3z2 in my 93, when the ECU was stock it wouldn't shift past 6k when left in D. I also thought they have a speed limiter. Only took mine to 105 so I can't comment from personal experience.

You may need a chip/tune to remove the limiters, the off the shelf tune for our chips remove speed/rev limiters, which I CAN say from personal experience. 7.2k rev = scary..

My 94 with the Z4H0 easily done 120+ and the 95 I have now with the DZA1 would do the same. I don't know what's going on with the 105 mph but with the W3Z2, I know it's not limited. It's been buried a couple of times and has no chip but also has stock everything else. Only thing that's been modded under the hood is the intake tube being shaved and I don't really consider that to be much of a mod. I didn't swap over to the Z2 for speed anyway, I done it for the added 15psi trans fluid pressure and the different shift points and more spark.

before i did the 3:73 with the dza1 computer it would do 128 after the gears it dropped witch i exspected but now with tthe z2 computer it act just as the dza1 same shifts and speed limiter

My 93 buries the needle and shifts at 6000 when pushed. I have not tried to find the rev limit though.

and thats what i keep reading i just dont get why this one isnt doing what its suppose to.

Yeah my z2 was speed limited. I could do 98 with my 4.10s. Not all w3z2 computers are unlimited. Mine was.

I replaced the DZA1 in my 1995 LSC with 3.27 gears with a W3Z2 and the rev limiter hits 6800+, the spark is better, the shift points are better and firmer, but the speed limiter kicks in at 125 mph.

so how can you tell the diffrence between a z2 comp that isnt speed limited and one that is?

I have heard it has to do with the traction control on some of them, but I don't know for sure

i read that and asked if it had tc and he didnt know as it was just a motor and tranny out of a 93 that he had in his 53 chevy truck but i figured id try anyways. dont know if it matters but my tc still works with the z2, i figured that if it didnt have tc then mine would not work anymore.

thought about it but i cant justify 300ish bucks just to get rid of the speed limiter

Sell your old ECU or the new one you aren't satisfied with.

If you do decide to splurg on a chip, I will say the seat of the pants dyno thinks its good for 10 or so hp to the wheels in addition to no speed/rev limiter.

thought about it but i cant justify 300ish bucks just to get rid of the speed limiter

Exactly. I don't run around doing 120-140 either. I'm just now getting my insurance to start coming down from my last speeding ticket. The fastest I have had my car in the past few months is around 90 for a few seconds to pass someone on the HWY. Other than that, I don't really see the need to go past 100, but that's just me. Anything can happen at 120+ and you're likely going to die or be pretty fugged up. If you can do 105, be happy with that and get a chip when you can.

A chip does a whole lot more than just remove the speed limiter. It really doesn't matter what compatible computer you have in the car once you're tuned. An SCT tuned computer will be better than any "hot" computer out there. I have a horrible "BTC0" Gen2 computer. :p Think about it. You've spent a lot more than $300 on your car already. ;)

in addition to no rev limiter.

Your tuner must be really really dumb. Removing the rev limiter is not a smart thing at all. My car had a rev limiter on the chip tune and it does now too on the dyno tune. The tuner should RAISE the rev limiter never REMOVE it! If you rev your engine out to 8K+ rpms like a Vtech Honda, that will be the last WOT you ever see. :eek:

Exactly. I don't run around doing 120-140 either. I'm just now getting my insurance to start coming down from my last speeding ticket. The fastest I have had my car in the past few months is around 90 for a few seconds to pass someone on the HWY. Other than that, I don't really see the need to go past 100, but that's just me. Anything can happen at 120+ and you're likely going to die or be pretty fugged up. If you can do 105, be happy with that and get a chip when you can.

not happy at all at 105 i cruise regularly at 90-100 on cruise but it just suck when some kid tries to roll race me and i beat them till 105 then they go past.

Your tuner must be really really dumb. Removing the rev limiter is not a smart thing at all. My car had a rev limiter on the chip tune and it does now too on the dyno tune. The tuner should RAISE the rev limiter never REMOVE it! If you rev your engine out to 8K+ rpms like a Vtech Honda, that will be the last WOT you ever see. :eek:

I don't have a tuner, it's running an off the shelf 93 octane SCT tune that removes the rev limiter when manually shifted, raised shift points from 6k to 6250ish when left to shift like it's supposed to.

I don't manually shift anymore because of this. It also made WOT shifts super firm which is fun.

not happy at all at 105 i cruise regularly at 90-100 on cruise but it just suck when some kid tries to roll race me and i beat them till 105 then they go past.

Well, then that would justify the $300 or w/e it is for a chip with a good tune burned onto it. Sell the Z2 because once any Gen 1 ECU has been chipped, it is then equal to the other. Someone would likely pay more, average $60 for the Z2 and then you'd have $240 invested and I'm sure you can round up some other things to sell to make the chip cost even more justifiable. Have a few tunes burned onto it. One for running the piss out of it, one for saving gas, etc...

Yeah I don't know I've got one more lead on a z2 if it doesn't work I may just get a chip

Members online

No members online now.
Back