JL The best .... or what?

nofinga911

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Is JL the best subwoofer producer? I have 2 10w7's and am looking to upgrade to bigger and better sound...was looking into the 13w7's , around four of them...but the cash situation is crazy expensive?? so what other subz have better or equal spl and sq compared to the 13's??

nofinga911 said:
Is JL the best subwoofer producer? I have 2 10w7's and am looking to upgrade to bigger and better sound...was looking into the 13w7's , around four of them...but the cash situation is crazy expensive?? so what other subz have better or equal spl and sq compared to the 13's??

there are many subs that sound as good, hit harder, and are less expensive. Check out this website, www.caraudiocentral.net. Lots of excellent advice there, and they respond very quickly. But for an answer to your question...NO, JL is not the best out there. I personally think my Focal 33Kx is a better sub. But the money is the same.

JL is ONE of the best
when it all comes down to it in the right enclosure a sony could blow a jl away. Dont get me wrong a jl in the right enclosure vs a sony in a right enclosure the jl will destory it.

That aside my top companys are (in this order) JL Audio (i have 3 12w6s for a reason) Image Dynamics, Arc Audio, Kicker, Boston Acoustic, Infinity

My JL 500/1 and 10W6v2 combo shakes like a motherfvckah! Reliable and durable,too; they've lasted through thoudands of hours of heat, humidity, and pounding from distored heavy metal, rap, industrical music!

And to think- some moron in a car audio shop tried telling me that "JL is overrated" and that you get the same sh!t from Fosgate :eyeroll: Please. I previously went through 6 Fosgate woofer from Best Buy in 2000. All were under warranty, and they finally refused to keep returning them because I returned so many. They had to refund my money!

JL all the way!

i had a jl 10w6 for about a year. it was mated to an underpowered amp. so i upgraded to a 500w amp. then it popped. so i went to alpine. i got a SWR-1022D which is a 10 also but half the price. it sounded much cleaner and a little louder. if i had known that there was a better speaker rom alpine at the time i would have bought it instead but, oh well. so check out the x series from alpine.

Diamond Audio subs are really good. everyone who hears my system always compliments my subs! check em out you wont be disapointed!

i have 2 JL 12W3V2D4's on a memphis reference 300.2 i know thye hit much harder than the do they just need the right box think i will sell the 300.2 and get a JL 500/1

100_0381.JPG

100_0380.JPG

See in my avatar i also have 2 Memphis M3's also with 2 of the old Kicker s10d's the old ones that they dont make in that quality anymore. yes those diamond audios damn sure hit hard theres a guy here selling 2 15" subs for 400 in a custome box.

CadillacETC1997 said:
i dont like 15s a true audiophile can tell they lag...

A true Audiophile wouldn't have left his Bose system in his car. 15's can be as good for SQ as 10's can. It is all in the install and the box. Properly tuned, a 15" sub can deliver excellent bass along with a smooth response curve. I have a friend that I compete with that runs one 18" DD sub, custom made, for Sound Quality comps. It is how a sub is installed and tuned as to how it will perform.

I run one 13" subwoofer, and just a set of 3-way components. I have won every competition that I have entered and will be at the USACi Finals in Kansas City this coming November. I compete only in SQ so even with a huge sub, my car is tuned correctly so you don't know there is a 13" sub in there. Check the link on my signature.

Don't let anyone tell you different. It depends on the type of music you listen to, how loud you want your system to be, and whether or not you want to hear the complete spectrum of frequencies as to what type of sub, what price you want to spend, and who to install it.

Good luck in your venture.

Joe Wallis
Focal SQ Team (Team Cobra)
Team Wolfpack Audio
Intermediate Consumer 601+ SQ

One of the winningest car in the history of car audio has 6 speakers each powered by an Alpine 1500w amp. 2 horn mid/tweet, 2 10" midbass and 2 15" subs.

Tim

i would look into Digital Designs if i were you,their top of the line can get pricey but the others are reasonably priced.
site= www.ddaudio.com
phone#= 1-405-239-2800

Over2tonsofFun said:
One of the winningest car in the history of car audio has 6 speakers each powered by an Alpine 1500w amp. 2 horn mid/tweet, 2 10" midbass and 2 15" subs.

Tim

That would be Richard Black's Grand National with USD horns, and pro-audio 10's in the rear quarterpanels, and 15" USD subs behind the seat. Excellent sound overall! Good to hear someone else remember's RB's GN

YouthKwest said:
That would be Richard Black's Grand National with USD horns, and pro-audio 10's in the rear quarterpanels, and 15" USD subs behind the seat. Excellent sound overall! Good to hear someone else remember's RB's GN

Actually it is Richard Clark. He purchased it from Speakerworks in Orange , CA. (store front for USD) Richard did very little to the car from what Speakerworks built. Harry Kumura's Acura was it's little brother. same speakers but only Three 1500w amps.

BTW: Joe your car is the best I have judged on car stereo.com How did you do at Finals.

Tim

I like my DD 3500's

I have a set of 12" in a probox made for the 98 K1500 extended cab.

Harrison 1600w monoblock amp powering them. They hit entirely too hard for me, but once they are turned down...Perfect for what want em for.

Mike

Over2tonsofFun said:
Actually it is Richard Clark. He purchased it from Speakerworks in Orange , CA. (store front for USD) Richard did very little to the car from what Speakerworks built. Harry Kumura's Acura was it's little brother. same speakers but only Three 1500w amps.

BTW: Joe your car is the best I have judged on car stereo.com How did you do at Finals.

Tim

Tim, I just noticed that I said Black instead of Clark...talk about brain fart. Well as far as USAC Finals, it was a bust, my wife and son were in a car accident and it really put a dampner on rebuilding my car for finals. Needless to say, I made it to finals, but without my car. Still clutched a sponsorship from Orca Distributing, so my new install will be totally Focal (speakers, subs, and amps) with Alpine DVA9861/H701 combo at the helm. I should be at the Spring Break Nationals in Daytona this March. Thanks for the Kudo's on my car. It did it's job. In some ways the new install will be more restrained, but will sound much better.

Think Be Tweeter/3w2 in Apillar and the 165KBE in the kickpanel...with a 33KX Polykevlar 13 in the rear deck.

If it sounds anything like the Focals in my friends Beetle it will sound fantastic. Hopefully your wife and son where OK, I know how it is with family. I am hoping to have my Focus compete and ready for this season. I may have to do a lot of traveling, though.

Tim

Brand preference can blind people from some really good quality up and comers in the industry.

But you would have to go BACK in the day for the best stuff... They just don't make it like they used to... See Orion HCCA gear or the old PPI stuff.

I have been in the industry for YEARS now and I have learned not to brand trap myself.

Though the companies mentioned here such as diamond, and focal are excellent don't sell yourself short and take a look at Ampire and stuff like that.

My new system this summer will be composed of a TON of the new Dimension stuff. Their new designs are impressive. Also Orion is starting to tread back to the HCCA days as well.

Eclipse always has made good gear.

Morel is fugging OUTSTANDING and I am surprised they weren't mentioned along with Diamond, Focal, and Rainbow.

I guess the point I am trying to make is if you are going to build a system, build it for YOU because you have to listen to it EVERYDAY. So design, installation and planning is a huge part. If you don't have access to the knowledge needed to accomplish this kind of stuff, then take it to a professional that does. You won't be sorry.

Music without focus and purpose is just noise

I am having a custom enclosure being built for my 2000 Continental for 1 15" RE Sx sub. i will have pics as time goes on i havent decided what amp i want for it but i am leaning towards Memphis right now. Those JL 12's u saw earlier in this thread i have them now on a memphis PR.500.1 and man its slams the hell out of them even harder than that PR300.2 get this the JL's both have a blown voice coil so i am running 2 dual 4ohm subs with 1 blown VC now single 4ohms parallel into a 1 channel Mono amp. They steel slam my trunk even more they have more room to travel in my Continentals trunk. Oh yeah and i changed my factory alpine radio to a Pioneer 6800

Well I have been competing in car audio since the beginning. 88 CAN almost 20 years. I have heard a lot of different brands but I still prefer JL. But also like Focal. In car audio the major thing is install you can have the best equipment money can buy and with a bad install it will sound like crap. then again a fantastic install can make even crappy equipment sound good. with exceptions. There is other products out there that sound good but I have my preferences.

Tim

Anubody see JL's new stuff that they release at CES this year... its pimp!

I have to agree that JL is the :q:q:q:q. I have 2 10w6 and a jl 500/1 and it hits hard.

Members online

No members online now.
Back