Intake porting and IMRC questions

mdnitedrftr

LVC Member
Reaction score
Now that winter has begun, and the Mark is sleeping, I can start my winter mods so that when spring rolls around, Ill be ready to go. I have quite a few plans for the car, but I have some questions about one of the projects.

I plan on porting my stock intake to get a little better airflow, and taking the butterflies out of the IMRC's so they are open all the time. Ive done some digging and people have said open IMRC's might cause "drivability issues". Can anyone elaborate on this a little bit for me? If its the loss of low end tq, thats not a problem, my gears compensate more than enough for the loss.

I don't know if it would be worth it to port the stock intake manifold. Perhaps if you shortened the runners and ported them it would help. That along with deleting the IMRC's should give you up to 20hp in the upper rpms.

Here are a few pics of the intake I have sitting on a shelf in the garage. I need to get the IMRC's welded shut, but other than that, it's done. I would like to do a short runner setup on this, but the time required is too great. (I would rather work on a cobra intake and be done with it.

If you want this intake/IMRC setup to continue on, 75 bucks+shipping and it's yours. I am TOO damned busy to even think of working on it, and would like to see it go to someone that could use it. It's pretty much as you see it there, except the bottom of the intake has been TIG'd back on.

I have to agree with the previous statement that you would gain 15-20 HP up top, but would suffer from lack of torque down low. 4.10's would alieveate that loss, and a stall would help it out even more.

Mike

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

^Thanks for the offer, but I already have a spare intake sitting in my garage.

But now that Im thinking, would I be better off saying screw it and just getting a Cobra manifold?

If it were me, I would go with the cobra intake. Hell to top that off, port IT before you put it in.

does anyone have the step by step instructions on how to wire the electronics up?

Haven't heard from 94M5 in a long time. My guess is that he doesn't log on here anymore

I'm still around Brent,

Now that some serious financial obligations are taken care of, I SHOULD be able to spend some time around here.

Take care

Mike

HATE TO DIG THIS OUTTA THE GRAVEYARD still have that intake for sale?

Sorry for not answering this last time....... No I do not have it any longer. alot of my old VIII stuff went in the dumpster when I moved. That intake was one of them unfortunatly.

Mike

Sorry for not answering this last time....... No I do not have it any longer. alot of my old VIII stuff went in the dumpster when I moved. That intake was one of them unfortunatly.

Mike

damn man if i knew you were throwing that away id made another run down, and your trac-lock is currently happy in Eric's tbird with your pumpkin (i think) with some 4.10's wrapped around it, and i got his with some 3.73's still in a bird pumpkin in a box here at work :(

if you are ever throwing out stuff and chicken doesn't take it I'll pay for shipping!

Members online

Back